All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
  Print view

  Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
Author Message
    PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 19:16 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Now that it's been quite a few months past release, new car smell has gone away, hype has subsided and so on - how do you guys feel about Pinewood Smile? Quality? Verdict? Where does it rank?


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 00:09 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 307
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 21:49
Location: Luton
Dislike it a lot. Very generic songwriting. Drumming doest suit them as hits too hard, production is horrific, unfunny and unintelligent lyrics at points including fat shaming, Justins voice sounds like poo for most of it, average music videos oh yeah and Justin unfollowed me on Instagram a few weeks before it came out so I was kinda annoyed maybe I woulda liked it more if he haddnt lol (childhood hero - hit me hard! I'm pathetic!!). First 2 albums and b sides will always be the best but I had very nuch enjoyed the come back a lot till now. I do actuakky like 2 sobgs... lay with me barbera and I wish I was in heaven. This is the lobgest post ever.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 10:42 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 795
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 23:17
Pinewood Smile was just a big fucking disaster. It has massively turned me off of The Darkness along with Justin's massive ego, the size of King Kong's dick.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 13:42 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 231
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:59
Location: Featherstone
At first I thought meh. Then after more listens I liked a few songs. Now my overall opinion is some parts are ok. Others not so. It seems mismatched. Just a bit too wacky for me. People who have said this is the band's best album since PTL are crazy. After listening to LOOK recently that is miles ahead of Pinewood Smile.
Also slightly off topic but I saw the band in Leeds and then Norwich on the recent tour. I enjoyed Leeds but the sound of the Norwich gig was awful. Granted I was stood a fair bit at the back but Dan's guitar was way too loud. Justin's vocals hardly came through. I just didn't enjoy it as much as previous gigs. I still love the band but it doesn't seem as fun? following them as much as it used to.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry, Leeds, Norwich

RIP Rick Parfitt


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 17:48 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 389
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
Frankly, I listened to the album like once since the end of October...

It's definitely a step down in comparison to LOOK. When it comes to ranking, I might go as far as calling it their worst album. The song don't work together and the song-writing is a kind of lazy (with the exception of Uniball which has amazing lyrics), although I like some of the ideas explored like in Stampede of Love or in I Wish I Was in Heaven. I also like how they experimented with all the harmonies and stuff, on the other hand the production isn't their greatest effort.

The album burnt out on me quite quickly (sadly) and currently the only songs that have replay value for me are All The Pretty Girls, I Wish I Was in Heaven, Japanese Prisoner of Love, Rack of Glam, and Buccaneers of Hispaniola (kinda). (Uniball is probably the best song on the album but it is not the kind of song that I usually listen to, if you get what I mean, just like Bald for example).

Whew, I didn't expected myself to lash the album like this... :( For the next album I'd wish less of PS and more of LOOK. I don't need serious songs or something like that, I mean PTL are kinda silly songs but they are also well written with great production.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 05:59 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 01:25
I was rating it very highly initially. I had it as number 2 behind PTL.

It hasnt had lasting power for me though. I now rate the albums.

PTL
HC
OWT
PS
LOOK

the album just feels like its missing something. cant put my finger on it. there is still plenty of songs i like on it though. it just doesnt feel as 'darkness' as other albums. PTL, OWT and HC feel very 'darkness' and PS and LOOK dont to me

fav songs are which im still liking are

all the pretty girls
solid gold
why dont the beautiful cry
lay down with me barbara
rack of glam
rock in space
losing my virginity

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 09:04 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 795
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 23:17
darknessrback! wrote:
I was rating it very highly initially. I had it as number 2 behind PTL.

It hasnt had lasting power for me though. I now rate the albums.

PTL
HC
OWT
PS
LOOK

the album just feels like its missing something. cant put my finger on it. there is still plenty of songs i like on it though. it just doesnt feel as 'darkness' as other albums. PTL, OWT and HC feel very 'darkness' and PS and LOOK dont to me

fav songs are which im still liking are

all the pretty girls
solid gold
why dont the beautiful cry
lay down with me barbara
rack of glam
rock in space
losing my virginity


I don't think I've ever seen someone put LOOK at the bottom of the list on this forum, ever! Wow... Why?

Last of Our Kind kicks the living shit out of Pinewood Smile and leaves it in a pile of dirt on the side of the road! To be honest, PTL & LOOK are the two best albums TD have made. The other 3 don't touch them.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 23:33 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Luke wrote:
Last of Our Kind kicks the living shit out of Pinewood Smile and leaves it in a pile of dirt on the side of the road!


^Absolute. Truth.


The band really has their work cut out for them for a next album, in my opinion. I don't know that the band themselves are terribly happy with Pinewood Smile because they had to work with a company/producer again that made them not only keep "Happiness" on the album proper (that they didn't care for) but also release it as a single. The other two singles are super commercial and reek of studio influence, as well. Something they complained happened with the label while making Hot Cakes.

I can see them slagging off/distancing themselves from Pinewood Smile when promoting their next album, quite easily.

They need to put Dan back in the producer's chair, get away from the label, keep it heavy, get back to a cohesive album feel, tone down the Steel Panther-ish stuff, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 07:19 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 01:25
Luke wrote:
darknessrback! wrote:
I was rating it very highly initially. I had it as number 2 behind PTL.

It hasnt had lasting power for me though. I now rate the albums.

PTL
HC
OWT
PS
LOOK

the album just feels like its missing something. cant put my finger on it. there is still plenty of songs i like on it though. it just doesnt feel as 'darkness' as other albums. PTL, OWT and HC feel very 'darkness' and PS and LOOK dont to me

fav songs are which im still liking are

all the pretty girls
solid gold
why dont the beautiful cry
lay down with me barbara
rack of glam
rock in space
losing my virginity


I don't think I've ever seen someone put LOOK at the bottom of the list on this forum, ever! Wow... Why?

Last of Our Kind kicks the living shit out of Pinewood Smile and leaves it in a pile of dirt on the side of the road! To be honest, PTL & LOOK are the two best albums TD have made. The other 3 don't touch them.


Yeah it's funny hey? Everyone loves LOOK while I think it's very "meh"
I couldn't tell you one absolute stand out song from the album. I don't feel that it has any really good solos. I've probably listened to it 5 times in full since it came out. Didn't like it at first and it hasn't grown on me.
I just find all of the songs boring and it is very different to what I usually expect from them.
Don't mind
Barbarian
Last of our kind
Wheels of the machine
Conquerors
Hammer and tongs

And I certainly don't love any of those songs.
If I had a top 20 darkness songs not one from LOOK would make it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 14:43 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 307
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 21:49
Location: Luton
Here's my own personal feelings on the albums. I blame the producer and Rufus for the new album being shit. I also wish Justin would have more input towards the music as the last 2 albums have been virtually missing his style.

Permission To Land 9/10
OWTTHAB 8/10
Red Light Fever 8/10
Silver Spoons & Broken Bones 2/10
Hot Cakes 7/10
LOOK 7/10
PS 2/10

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 16:00 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 389
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
^ I'd say:

PLT: 9
LOOK: 8.8
OWTTHAB: 7.5 (- would be way higher if SLAGIAT and Blind Man weren't there)
HC: 6.5
PS: 6


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 13:59 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 307
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 21:49
Location: Luton
I am holding out for album 6. One worry is they seemed to be very happy with the chart position they got so may try to do more of the same. I wonder what sales were like compared to LOOK. Also Justins declining voice and Rufus being allowed to influence the writing sessions is very very concerning. I have left all other facebook Darkness pages amd have decided to go old school and be 100 percent Darkling again.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 15:33 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 389
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
Pilgey wrote:
I am holding out for album 6. One worry is they seemed to be very happy with the chart position they got so may try to do more of the same. I wonder what sales were like compared to LOOK. Also Justins declining voice and Rufus being allowed to influence the writing sessions is very very concerning. I have left all other facebook Darkness pages amd have decided to go old school and be 100 percent Darkling again.


Talking about sales, all I know is that like 3 weeks later an album that entered the chart at #11 (PS debuted at #8) sold 6,639 copies including streaming. So I suppose that Pinewood Smile sold slightly more than that during the first week, like 8,000-10,000 copies. No idea about the following weeks though...


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 01:53 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Pilgey wrote:
I am holding out for album 6. One worry is they seemed to be very happy with the chart position they got so may try to do more of the same. I wonder what sales were like compared to LOOK. Also Justins declining voice and Rufus being allowed to influence the writing sessions is very very concerning. I have left all other facebook Darkness pages amd have decided to go old school and be 100 percent Darkling again.


That is worrisome - and I'm not sure why it sold more, either. I just don't want them to give us a Pinewood Smile II.

Rufus' influence is pretty obvious, in my opinion. And it isn't a good influence, quality-wise and stylistically.

Even the Darkness fanpage on Facebook I'm seeing people being more critical of the album, finally.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 22:52 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 575
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 18:53
Location: Sweden
I rate the albums in the same order they were released. I’ve rated every track from 1-5 (excluded Street Spirit from HC). No bonus tracks.

Permission to Land 4.8
Only Stuck in a Rut and Friday Night missed out on 5/5.

One Way Ticket to Hell …and Back 4.0
Best track: Bald. Worst: Dinner Lady Arms, but it’s still a 3/5 for me. Rest of them 4/4.

Hot Cakes 3.6
Here’s two of their worst songs ever: Every Inch of You and Everybody Have a Good Time. Best: With a Woman, Living Each Day Blind and Concrete.

Last of Our Kind 3.3
Best tracks: Open Fire and Mighty Wings. Filler: Sarah, Wheels of the Machine and Roaring Waters.

Pinewood Smile 3.2
Love Japanese Prisoner of Love and Buccaneers of Hispaniola. Don’t really like I Wish I Was in Heaven, Happiness and Stampede of Love. Of the bonus tracks, Rock in Space may be their worst song to date.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm


My recordings.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 23:54 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Impromptu wrote:
Rock in Space may be their worst song to date.


Is it even a song, though? Seriously - it's some background music set to weird dialogue. What even is it?


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 01:04 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Mar 2011, 22:22
I'd also say it's their second-weakest, after LOOK. I really don't get the praise for LOOK - most of it's just, sort of, nothing. I love Mighty Wings (it took a while to grow on me), and quite like Open Fire. I don't see what's so great about Roaring Waters, Conquerers, Barbarian etc.

Pinewood Smile is an interesting one for me, in that I think the more typical, riff-based songs (Solid Gold, All The Pretty Girls, Southern Trains, Rack of Glam) are weaker than the slightly more atypical stuff (Barbara, I Wish I Was in Heaven, Why Don't The Beautiful Cry). I genuinely think I Wish I was in Heaven is one their best songs. Top 4, probably. Huge, melodic, candid, emotional.

On the other hand, Solid Gold is genuinely atrocious. Poorly produced, poorly mixed, trite, wit-less lyrics, a meandering middle-eight, and a 'meh' riff that's nowhere near strong enough to support 80% of the song. I'm baffled by how proud Justin is of it.

Overall it seems like the more conventional rocky stuff isn't from the heart, really. It's an attempt to be 'The Darkness' and do what 'The Darkness' are supposed to do, or what they think people want them to do. But it's average; and their soul, wit and melodic flare pour out when they try stuff that's a bit weirder.

I don't hold out hope for another Permission to Land, quality-wise. But if there are two or three songs on each album that make me feel something, I'll be glad for that. I just wish they'd play them live.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: Yesterday, 10:09 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
bitethedust wrote:
I'd also say it's their second-weakest, after LOOK. I really don't get the praise for LOOK - most of it's just, sort of, nothing.


It's likely one of their most substance-based records. It's also their most musically credible record, in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: Dust has settled...verdict on 'Pinewood Smile'?
    PostPosted: Yesterday, 10:12 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 148
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
bitethedust wrote:
Pinewood Smile is an interesting one for me, in that I think the more typical, riff-based songs (Solid Gold, All The Pretty Girls, Southern Trains, Rack of Glam) are weaker than the slightly more atypical stuff (Barbara, I Wish I Was in Heaven, Why Don't The Beautiful Cry).


Probably because the heavier stuff felt more forced. Like they were trying to sound like "The Darkness".

The atypical stuff stemmed from more creative urges - hence feeling more sincere, genuine and better.

bitethedust wrote:
I genuinely think I Wish I was in Heaven is one their best songs. Top 4, probably. Huge, melodic, candid, emotional.


It's definitely a great song. Probably the best on the record. Lyrically, I think it's amazingly honest...

bitethedust wrote:
On the other hand, Solid Gold is genuinely atrocious. Poorly produced, poorly mixed, trite, wit-less lyrics, a meandering middle-eight, and a 'meh' riff that's nowhere near strong enough to support 80% of the song. I'm baffled by how proud Justin is of it.


He's proud of it? Shame.

bitethedust wrote:
But if there are two or three songs on each album that make me feel something, I'll be glad for that. I just wish they'd play them live.


I can't be glad for that - because I know they've got better in them than that. This producer messed this album up. That and I feel Rufus is a not-so-good musical influence.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Style by website design web, pozycjonowanie seo pozycjonowanie optymalizacja
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group