All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: The do you remember when thread.........
    PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 22:50 
Darkling

I remember so many lovely things ... 2004 was the best year of my life :mrgreen:

Wandered about seeing TD play, all of it so much fun, from losing my cherry at the Paris gig to the last ever UK gig at Liverpool. Went to lots of places I'd never otherwise have bothered with, went overseas, and left a LOT of hotel bathrooms covered in glitter.

Met lots of lovely Darklings too, some of whom I love as much as my own family. You know who you are.

Its also brilliant that Darklings I've not kept in touch with are popping up and we're just carrying on where we left off. Theres a lot of Darkling love out there.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Did someone order a wench?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 23:22 
Darkling

'Unwittingly' is the best way to get anything through customs. Absolutely natural, no nerves and the dogs don't pick up on any fear.

I remember a lot of things. Some of them all by myself!

Here's the first one that came to mind - walking round the backstage, rigging and crew areas of Hammersmith Apollo for about 20 minutes with Frankie and a few others, looking for the aftershow. I think between us we were carrying maybe a case-worth of champagne, drinking from the bottle. One of so many times when Spinal Tap really and truly came to life over the years.

Mad gig that one - first time they'd played anywhere near that size of a venue. I think almost everyone got laid that night.

X

It wasn't me, no-one saw me do it, you can't prove a thing. Anyway, how was I supposed to know she was his mother?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 23:33 
Darkling

I think vomiting nachos all over the channel 4 studio toilet after that RE:loaded recording where they played Fade out street spirit and Rob has to sign a release form for using the phrase "Shock and awe" to describe the Darkness effect to Dermot O'Leary (at the beginning of the invasion of Iraq). I suspect there's still a tape of that with me swaying away in the background....

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 23:35 
Darkling

Yeah, I was in that one as well I think - got it on tape somewhere.

I still go to that studio every now and then, their nachos have improved none.

X

It wasn't me, no-one saw me do it, you can't prove a thing. Anyway, how was I supposed to know she was his mother?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 23:55 
Darkling

You and Becca (what the hell happened to Becca?)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 00:51 
Darkling

She's still very much Becca, just a bit saner ;)

She used to turn up at a night called Metalworks fairly often, but don't know if she still does.

X

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 04:00 
Darkling

I remember lying to my friends at school saying that I had a ticket to the saturday night at Wembley Arena in 2004... For ages I told them I was going, then I admitted that I wasn;t the day before the gig however the morning of the gig, my mum gave me an early christmas present which were The Darkness tickets...

Also, remember seeing The Darkness at NEC in 2006, and asking people if they were on the forum and they looked at me as though I were a geek.

I remember meeting a bunch of forumers at the Stone Gods in Norwich on 30th January 2008, I remember meeting the whole of Stone Gods (But not Ed because Robin was taking his place for that tour) at the Roadmenders in Northampton, this is where I properly met Babzz.

I was too young back then to go to as many gigs as I liked... However, this time, I shall be at the front of every gig (especially in the uk), hell to the shit yeah!!

Wembley 2004,
Birmingham 2006,
Norwich 2011,
Donington 2011,
Cambridge 2011,
Norwich 2011,
Thetford 2012,
Wolverhampton 2013,
Northampton 2013,
Leicester 2013,

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 17:23 
Darkling

- Seeing TD for the first time at the Kerrang Weekender when they were first on the bill
- Supporting them with the mighty Three Litre in Reading
- Kerrang! awards night before Reading festival and blagging our way (i.e. someone nicked someones pass) backstage.
- Reading Festival
- Staying at Shorties with Switch and him somehow ending up in A&E
- Trips around Europe (Germany, Spain, France)
- Drinking - a lot
- CD:UK
- Crashing at Muppets
- Meeting my future wife

in fact, so many mental things. I'm not sure I can do it all again, but hey, let's have a go!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 00:08 
Darkling

Moon wrote:
...all I remember is not being able to go to any of this because I lived on Teesside and was too young!

That and a certain Middlesbrough Music Live show in 2003... that was the first time I saw 'em - and I could only remember a) loving it because there was a bloke wearing a Thin Lizzy t-shirt which briefly annoyed me because he'd beaten me to it and b) them being outrageously good for a band in Middlesbrough.

I remember we made plans to National Express as far as like Wakefield or something and get a lift with Karl and Wayne for the PTL launch party but I had exams!

I remember chalk hearts meling on a playground wall.

I remember being well and truly took under everyone's wing - I remember scenes of extraordinary generosity and faith which I am thankful for to this day.

I remember the "I Believe In A Thing Called ROCK" compilation CD me and Miguelmonkeyman attempted to produce (let down by my incredibly poor skills at being able to organise myself to send the bloody things to the people who wanted them).

I remember playing Dazza's covers band's version of Mamma Mia at college parties I DJ'd at for years.

I remember dawn escapes from moonwashed college halls.

I remember selling a spare Velvet Revolver ticket to Rada.

I remember DISASTERPIECES, and what a drama it was.

I remember meeting certain people in Newcastle and buying Bad Company by Bad Company on vinyl.

I am still an absolute geek, you'll be pleased to know.

I remember sending you my band from the astoria gig w some confetti cos u were gutted u couldnt come!!!

"Lifes a gas and all the people in it just molecules bouncing round" (Griff Rhys Jones)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 00:13 
Darkling

Dazza wrote:
- Meeting my future wife

ooooh i remember switch passin out in my bathroom cos or cut hand i think...........

i also remember new year at bunnies when u met ya wife :D

"Lifes a gas and all the people in it just molecules bouncing round" (Griff Rhys Jones)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 01:00 
Darkling

shortie wrote:
Dazza wrote:
- Meeting my future wife

i also remember new year at bunnies when u met ya wife :D

Apparently I fell asleep on his lap after too many vodka jellies.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 02:47 
Darkling

Dazza wrote:
- Staying at Shorties with Switch and him somehow ending up

It involved The Offspring, a David Lee Roth star jump, a puddle of spilt beer and the thwack of elbow on barfloor ;-)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 09:21 
Darkling

Makes me wish I wasn't shit faced for so many TD gigs, I have a vague memory of Tommy trying to lift me up on his shoulders which ended badly, I still get a twinge in my neck every now and again as a gentle reminder, but I'm buggered if I can rememeber where and when that was, or if it was even a TD gig!

I have a well known history of not remembering gigs I've been to, so feel free to enlighten me if I was in attendence at any you remember :?

Squarewave Design
Je suis une âme solitaire.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 11:29 
Darkling

Dude it's the only reason I've set the board back-up. I want my memory back!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 16:05 
Darkling

The first time we met TD was in LA so special
Then 3 weeks later at Soccer Six at Evertons ground ! The Darkness won and Justin wore our flag to pick up the trophy ;)
Paris was brilliant, we had shite seats at the back so went for a couple of pints and this bloke said " e are u might as well ave these" 2 tickets right above the band ! Excellent
We went to Cologne and had a St Georges Cross on the barrier I think we were the only Brits there :lol: Linda and I had fakes boobs on, Justin spotted em straight away, burst out laughing while trying to sing Knockers and came straight over a demanded a pair which he wore throughout the song ! Good Times :mrgreen:
Remember Sheffield Mick ? I think that is the coldest I have ever been but we met Little Chris from Lowestoft
Liverpool was a fantastic gig but you just knew something wasn't right
All brilliant memories and I so hope there is loads and loads more to come :D :D :D

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 18:24 
Darkling

Howlintodd wrote:

Remember Sheffield Mick ?

I do, although I tend to confuse the memory of that show with other as I've been to quite a lot at that particular venue.

Did we see the likeness before that gig, or was that before leeds festival?!

My memory really is fucked :(

Squarewave Design

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 18:33 
Darkling

The Likeness gig I think was before Leeds Fest 2004. Sheffield Arena I believe The Darkness played twice (as headliners) 2004 or 05 with Frankie (which I didn't go too) and 2006 (with Richie) which I did.

Seeing them support Leppard there in 2003 further confuses matters for me.

Who's eating this chicken!?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 01:28 
Darkling

MadTheSwine(mick) wrote:
Makes me wish I wasn't shit faced for so many TD gigs, I have a vague memory of Tommy trying to lift me up on his shoulders which ended badly, I still get a twinge in my neck every now and again as a gentle reminder, but I'm buggered if I can rememeber where and when that was, or if it was even a TD gig!

I have a well known history of not remembering gigs I've been to, so feel free to enlighten me if I was in attendence at any you remember :?

i remember a marrillion gig that ended w u ian and i having the scariest ride home of my life :cry:

Re: The do you remember when thread
    PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 13:35 
Darkling

My favourite memories are the earliest ones to be honest, despite the wonderful Darklings I met later on. I was not in a very good state for much of the later Darkness activities.

Fave memories:

Going to see The Darkness on the launch of the album in the shop in Oxford Street - and not getting close but still watching it all go on and buying the album

Getting to go to the Astoria Homecoming gig - it was all new to me and alien but wonderful

Taking a pal to Brixton

Darklings

BBC documentary which I never saw and the Darkling gathering there

This Town vid shoot - that I was there, although I wish I had been better behaved.

Bambi - I feel sorry for her having to put up with me quite frankly! Still owe her some taxi money and an apology for being crazy.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 14:03 
Darkling

shortie wrote:
i remember a marrillion gig that ended w u ian and i having the scariest ride home of my life :cry:

And thus we all learned that most important of lessons:
'Never blag a lift home from a gig with the first two drunken idiots you see.'

Squarewave Design

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next