All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: The Official Darklings Guitar Thread
    PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 01:57 
Darkling

Just ordered a butterscotch Tele... nothing too flash. All standard. Maple neck... so it'll be a pretty different affair. Always preferred a maple neck on a Fender anyway. Plus it's a nice change from the rosewood of Epiphone/Gretsch/Vintage and the acoustics.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 09:16 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Just ordered a butterscotch Tele... nothing too flash. All standard. Maple neck... so it'll be a pretty different affair. Always preferred a maple neck on a Fender anyway. Plus it's a nice change from the rosewood of Epiphone/Gretsch/Vintage and the acoustics.

Tempted myself by a tele. Really into Brad Paisley at the moment. Just need to learn how to hybrid picking.

Did you go for Mexican or American tele? They have just made a Japanese version which sits in between price wise that I am tempted by.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 10:40 
Darkling

Nah it's just a Squier, the Affinity series. They're still good. In fact a Squier can in some cases be better than the 'full ticket' Fenders these days.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 13:28 
Darkling

Funny you should say that. Have heard amazing things about the Squier Classic Vibe. On the what to Birmingham now to spend a few hours playing some. :)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 12:03 
Darkling

Ah good luck with that.

I think I've only ever been really disappointed in one guitar that I've ever tried, and that was a Epiphone Firebird Studio.

Refer to the photo of my guitars where the acoustics feature, that little Tanglewood, I'm thinking of getting rid of that maybe and getting something else... maybe a different Tanglewood but I'm not sure yet what... I just have never loved the Tanglewood! :|

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 11:59 
Darkling

TDGinge wrote:
Funny you should say that. Have heard amazing things about the Squier Classic Vibe. On the what to Birmingham now to spend a few hours playing some. :)

The Classic Vibe guitars are exceptional. I'd take one over a Mexican Fender any day. The 50s Strat is my favourite of the guitars and the 60s Precision is the best of the basses.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 14:50 
Darkling

Classic vibe was amazing! Really nice. Neck finish wasn't for me but apart from that it was great and I might be tempted in the future.....

But I bought a Squier Standard Tele....OH MY GOD! This thing sounds unreal. Pick up is bright and punchy. Beyond perfect. I wanted a maple neck but found myself preferring rosewood fingerboard!

Never thought I would own a squier. But believe it or not, I massively preferred the feel,
Play and sound of this £209 squier over the £750 American special!!!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 00:51 
Darkling

Pics?

I don't think there's enough pics in this thread!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 07:11 
Darkling

The pics on my phone are too large to upload directly. So when I feel less lazy (I think that's due around November ;) ) I will put some on laptop and upload lol.

Nah will try and upload my set up soon!

I have started buying my dream amp rig, and its almost complete! So excited!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2013, 14:49 
Darkling

Not loving the squier. After a few hours playing I can here how "cheap" it sounds and I don't get on with the feel. My friends £50 Stagg guitar has a better fret dressing!

So it's going back tomorrow.

I should just stick with what works aye! Les Paul all the way! :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 22:06 
Darkling

Anyone name their guitars??

I do and will show you once I have pictures. Currently buying my first house so when my 'guitar room' is set up I will take pics of my collection and get them up.

My mate that I am in the acoustic duo with has a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic that he has name Rosie. :)

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 03:51 
Darkling

TDGinge wrote:
Anyone name their guitars??

I do and will show you once I have pictures. Currently buying my first house so when my 'guitar room' is set up I will take pics of my collection and get them up.

My mate that I am in the acoustic duo with has a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic that he has name Rosie. :)

I go with colours. It's rudimentary really. My Mastersound is Bluey, My Ibanez is Old Goldy, Spector is Ruby, my acoustic is Old Red. The only one without a name is my Strat. It's a Sienna burst and I haven't got a good name for it.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2013, 07:41 
Darkling

I have a history of buying terrible things for a laugh, but I think I can hold off on buying this... although I think it's the most hilarious guitar I've ever seen.

Last edited by Amy on 22 Aug 2013, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 11:51 
Darkling

I can't see what ever guitar that is that you're referring to it just takes me to a page of listings...

I will trust that it was probably not worth seeing though (judging by what you said!) :lol:

Anyway, today I got rid of my folk-size Tanglewood Rosewood Reserve and replaced it with a new Washburn WD10SCE.

Why? I mean, yeah, the Tanglewood had solid rosewood back and sides, but it lacked any kind of projection, it was small and fiddly and because of the small baby hands-sized neck the string tension and spacing combined made it like playing a 6-bladed razor blade.

Very satisfied with my purchase though I must say acoustics in the region of $500-700 are certainly cutting it with some fierce competition!!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 05:44 
Darkling

I found a suitable replacement for that link... it probably was taken down due to someone buying it. I think it was around the $600. Jeeze.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 11:34 
Darkling

Oh wow that's actually the most ridiculous guitar I think I have ever seen :shock:

WHAT IS IT?! I mean it's ugly, but at the same time a work of art in its own right. I bet that took a LONG time to create!! :|

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 15:47 
Darkling

It looks like it was made from the same material as playground slides.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 20:59 
Darkling

Well....I'm finally in my first house. So my guitar room is near enough set up. Just need to set up some guitar hangers for the walls but decided to take some pictures for you all.
So....here we go...

My pride and joy. A 1990 Gibson Les Paul Standard. (Same age as me ;) )

"The Slag"

The electric I use live for 1 or 2 songs in my Acoustic Duo. A Gibson Les Paul Junior Special. Bought a few months ago new. Something nice but cheap for the pubs.

"Woody"

My Fender Telecaster. As mentioned in earlier posts. Really into my country at the moment!

"The Blonde Badger"

Yamaha A1M that is my main live acoustic. A great guitar that I absolutely love! I always slated laminate back and side guitars...once I learnt this was one, I soon stopped my snobbery! ;)

"The Money Maker"

My back-up acoustic for live work. A Faith Naked Neptune (Baby Jumbo) acoustic. I had a Fishman Rare Earth Blend fitted so I could do percussive tapping.

"The George Michael"

This was my first acoustic! Bought for £15 from a car boot. Strings cost £16! Lol. Got it signed by The Darkness and Justin made a picture with my name. ;)
Also signed by Newton Faulkner as well as The Feeling.

Dan named this one but I played it a little bit and rubbed it off. Must ask him what he called it.

My Laney Cub 12 amp. Has a 0.75 watt mode for getting the valves cooking. Not loving it at the moment tho. Want an AC30.
Also got my Orange on there, only the cab is there bit it's a micro terror. (Head is in a bag as its used live).
Power brake underneath to allow me to run an amp hot but drop the volume. Part of the dream rig, (used by the guys ;) )
Marshall 1960BX cab, part of my dream rig (again same one as the guys).
Marshall AS50D. Acoustic amp for home practice and ever any small gigs. (Rarely used out).
The bag has the orange head and my cables for live in it.

Pedalboard for live work, sits in fx loop at home.

Boss overdrive modded to sound like a Tubescreamer (Dan actually had one on his GaGa Touring board (I had mine first tho ha!))
Next to that a Marshall Shredmaster, bought one on eBay after Dan told me he used one for 'Chugging'.

So there it all is...for now. ;)

Had an EVH Wolfgang until about a month ago to pay for Woody for live work.

Trying to buy 'The Dream' which is a Marshall 1959 SuperLead (again the same as the guys, pattern forming aye?). Trouble is they are £1100 new and I ain't paying that so second hand it is! Trouble also is, people on eBay want £650+! In their dreams!
So hopefully one pops up soon!

Thanks for looking all. Nice for me to finally get these on to show them off.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 07:52 
Darkling

After years if waiting....I finally have my dream!! A Marshall 1959 SLP!!

Woooooo!!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 17:14 
Darkling

Just bought this beauty from the main man himself!!