All times are UTC [ DST ]

The Official Darklings Guitar Thread
    PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 01:39 
Darkling

Greetings Darklings guitar-slingers, axe-masters, fret-shredders, whammy bar fiddlers, dive-bombers, four chord plonkers, whatever ye wish to be called! :D

This seemed like the most appropriate place to do it.

There may be an old thread.

That thread may be dead.

So here's a new one. Full of life.

Guitars, amps, little die-cast metal boxes with knobs and lights... If it's guitar related (non-TD!) then post it in here.

WHAT SAY YE? :D :D

Re: The Official Darklings Guitar Thread
    PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 06:48 
Darkling

Phwoar....GUITARS! Lol.

I shall have to take some pictures of my gear to share. Only just bought a new guitar last weekend!!!

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 02:09 
Darkling

I'll go first then. :mrgreen:

Left: Epiphone Les Paul Standard, not sure of the exact year of the model but it was purchased late 2010. Ebony finish. Removed the pick guard myself with a quick few turns of a screwdriver. :D
Right: Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Purchased late 2004. Wine Red finish. Lots of LP Studios by Epiphone feature dot inlays. Some models from certain years however feature the infamous 'trapezoid' abalone inlays. Again, pick guard removed. It was black and looked stupid on the guitar anyway.

Then...

From left to right:
Tanglewood Rosewood Reserve. Not sure what the wood on the top is. But the back and sides are all solid rosewood. It's an electro-acoustic. Pickup system is a B-band, and it's been colored to blend in with the wood.

Cort MR710F. Probably one of Cort's most popular/their most popular electro/acoustic. It's got a Fishman system in it. Not 100% sure what the wood is but it's a solid top and there's no lacquer on it. They change this guitar slightly every year or two. The most recent model has a lacquer and a slightly different pickup system. This particular one I have has a mic inside too, as well as the under-saddle pickup (so you can do percussive tapping on the body and whatnot, and the mic'll pick that up and the mic has its own volume control).

Vintage ICON V100. All stock except the machine heads were replaced with Gotoh tulips after the original Wilkinsons smashed after a guitar stand collapsed. This guitar is not healthy. As good as they play, I would not recommend buying a Vintage guitar as a result of all the problems I've had wit hit. Pick guard is also gone.
Gretsch Electromatic. Solid-body. Pretty standard, very hollow inside but no f-holes or anything, no Bigsby. No frills. Very cool guitar.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 02:24 
Darkling

Furthermore, this is not all the guitars that I've had... here's a complete list of everything I've had! Anything marked with a * is something I have/currently use still. Anything with no * is sold or dead.

Guitars (acoustic):
- Hot Spot acoustic
- 2x nylon 'classical' guitars
- Fender CD60CE
- Takamine EG260C
- Ibanez AW30ECE
- Cort MR710F*
- Cort MR710F-12
- Tanglewood Rosewood Reserve*

Guitars (electric):
- Cruiser by Crafter strat copy (vintage sunburst)
- Epiphone LP Studio (wine red)*
- Vintage Icon V100 (honeyburst)*
- Ibanez GRG170DX (candy apple red)
- Epiphone LP Standard (ebony)*
- Squier Bullet Strat (cream, 1 humbucker + 2 singlecoil)
- Gretsch Electromatic (black/walnut)*

Pedals/boards:
- Boss DS7 distortion
- Ibanez TS7 (ToneLok) Tubescreamer
- Boss DD3 digital delay
- VOX Classic Wah
- Legacy tuner pedal (this is undoubtedly the stupidest tuner I've ever owned...)
- Planet Waves chromatic tuner pedal
- KORG Pitch Black tuner*
- DigiTech Bad Monkey OD*
- DigiTech Hot Head dist*
- tc electronic Nova Repeater delay*
- tc electronic Hall of Fame reverb*
- Crossfire Power Station power supply*
- Random board in tweed hard case*
- Gator Pedal Tote with built-in power supply (previously)

Amps:
- Rocket 10w practice amp
- Marshall MG30DFX
- Marshall MG30CDFX
- Jet City JCA20H and matching 1x12" cab*

Then the random bits/accessories
- Acoustics all get D'Addario strings*
- Electrics also all get D'Addario strings*
- Dunlop Jazz III (black) picks for electric*
- Dunlop tortext (yellow) picks for acoustic*
- Kyser capos*
- Dunlop chrome slides*
- Carson Custom "Rock Lines" cables (including patch leads)*
- Legacy Guitar Racks*
- Fender straps (acoustics and Gretsch)*
- Planet Waves straps (all others)*
- All backup batteries (for if the power supply packs in, and for acoustics' pre-amps) are Energizer 9v*
- Planet Waves guitar tool (string winder and cutters)*

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 09:18 
Darkling

Now that is a thorough list! I love it!! Is that gretsch a nice guitar?! I've always fancied myself a gretsch since seeing dan play one but don't want a big expensive one. Just something cheap that I can bastardize as it looks nice and big and meaty!

Will take some photos later and upload later today.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2013, 09:51 
Darkling

Yeah... Gretsch do have some cheaper models. If you want 'cheap' Gretsch, got to be looking at the Electromatic models, which unfortunately means no White Falcons, Penguins, etc!

BUT it's all good. I don't know how they're priced wherever you are but they're all pretty darn expensive (the limited range we get) over here. :(

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 02:52 
Darkling

Slightly off topic, because it's not about the technical aspect of guitars, but is there a good website or book you guys would recommend on how to learn music theory without it making you want to quit life?

This is what I get for not paying attention in high school.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 06:26 
Darkling

I've still got a few guitars so I'll add to the party, just because. No photos though because I'm not that high tech.

Electrics, Amps, Gear
Electric blue Maton MS503 circa 2007
Sienna Burst Fender Strat, 2010, Custom built Mexi/Japan hybrid with Custom 69s.
Egnater Rebel 20 Head w. Vox Night Train 112 (yep. I've gone micro-tube and I like it)
MI Tube Zone MK4 OD
Marshall Echohead
Marshall Regenerator
Crybaby (somewhere. I think it's in a box under my desk)

Bass
2012 Spector Legend Custom
Ibanez 2006 BTB450QM
Squier Infinity P (Ultra Candy Red)
GK1001RBII Head
Trace Elliot 1048H

I also have an Eastman 810CE archtop which is my go-to acoustic. I acquired it recently for an outrageously low price. It's strung with Thomastiks as I'm mainly an acoustic gypsy-jazz, folk guitarist these days.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 09:14 
Darkling

Amy wrote:
Slightly off topic, because it's not about the technical aspect of guitars, but is there a good website or book you guys would recommend on how to learn music theory without it making you want to quit life?

This is what I get for not paying attention in high school.

I am not at all going to help you now, but I remember learning music theory. I actually missed the exam because I was asleep and forgot to set my alarm! Ha!

This was 5 years ago and times have changed now. You can't go far wrong with YouTube searches!! Find out what you need to learn at whatever level and then just search on YouTube.

I learnt the guitar by myself and have never had a single lesson. I started 10 years ago and just had to work stuff out.
Nowadays it's so easy with YouTube that, in all honesty, you're a fool for having lessons! Lol.

So yeah, try YouTube for theory.

Also, may not work for you, but I scored 6% higher on a Mock theory test after a couple of beers!! :)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2013, 16:09 
Darkling

I just wish I had been more committed when I got my first guitar (exactly) nine years ago! At least I can play well enough to accompany myself when I sing.

I'm also trying to save up for a decent electric guitar. I've got two acoustics and one, very embarrassing, electric that I bought for $120 because I thought it was funny (a Rokstar Ministar :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ). Then we've got the bass, ukulele, and mandolin.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 13:17 
Darkling

I'll have to get some photos up,

My current gear is:

GUITARS

Dan's Gretsch G6128 Elliot Easton in original flight case, marked "Stone Gods"

Brian May Red Special in red cherry (signed)

Yamaha Pacifica - my first guitar, bought in 1997. Has the most sentimental value :)

Fender Redondo Acoustic 1970's fitted with LR Baggs M1

AMP

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition HRDX in orange & black racing stripes

Marshall VS100

Roland Cube 15

PEDALS

Danelectro Dan-Echo DE-1

Cry Baby Classic GCB95F

L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 23:46 
Darkling

I'll post a couple of pics of my two beauties in a few days ha ha. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White of course, with gold fittings (I know Justin has chrome but I personally love the gold fittings)

And due to my current musical endeavours I'm in a bit of an indie rock band now so my main guitar is a Fender Telecaster FSR, gorgeous guitar to play.

^ Bit of shameless advertising if anyone is into anything a bit more current shall we say? www.facebook.com/regularsuk

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 06:45 
Darkling

Andy wrote:
I'll post a couple of pics of my two beauties in a few days ha ha. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White of course, with gold fittings (I know Justin has chrome but I personally love the gold fittings)

And due to my current musical endeavours I'm in a bit of an indie rock band now so my main guitar is a Fender Telecaster FSR, gorgeous guitar to play.

^ Bit of shameless advertising if anyone is into anything a bit more current shall we say? http://www.facebook.com/regularsuk

Justin does/did have gold....it's just that they've been used so much the gold has worn away!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 12:50 
Darkling

Here's some photos of my prized possessions - Obviously Dan's Gretsch is top of the list :)

Attachments:
File comment: My Red Special signed by Brian May
Brian May.jpg
Brian May.jpg [ 93.89 KiB | Viewed 6000 times ]
File comment: Fender HRDX Limited Edition Amp and Gretsch
guitar amp.jpg
guitar amp.jpg [ 61.72 KiB | Viewed 6000 times ]
File comment: Dan's Gretsch from the video for I Believe In A Thing Called Love and used live for Black Shuck
gretsch.jpg
gretsch.jpg [ 70.94 KiB | Viewed 6000 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 13:16 
Darkling

Anyone got a mop??? DROOL!!!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 03:48 
Darkling

Never really been a massive fan of Brian May's guitar, I think it's kinda ugly. But that's me. How does it play? What's the tone like when it's not played through a VOX AC30? :p

Oh and I wonder how the production model compares to the original, since I heard that the original guitar was made by Brian himself out of the surrounding wood from a fireplace? Maybe that was just a rumour I heard but if that's true then they would have had to figure out what wood that was and replicate it in the production model... Interesting.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 07:23 
Darkling

The Brian May guitar came about when after years of playing a my Pacifica, I finally saved up enough to buy a decent guitar and followed the crowd by buying a Fender Strat, believing that it was the holy grail of guitars. I suprised myself when I just didn't get on with it. The tone was horrible, the design boring, it just didn't look any different to a £60 Encore or "Fender Starcaster".

After shifting it on eBay I decided that I wanted a more unique guitar and I have yet to see anyone else playing a BM in any of the bands I've seen. I get more compliments on this than the Gretsch! For a £500 guitar it's amazing, you can get that Brian May sound if that's what you're after, but due to the phase switches the variety of tones are amazing, it's the most versatile guitar I've come across and can hold it's own in any playing style/genre.

Brian did make his guitar from an old fireplace, obviously no "copy" will ever come close to the original, but Brian May's own company makes the guitar, so it's as close as you're gonna get. There aren't many signature guitars that you can pick up for £500 new. In it's price range it blows every comparable guitar out of the water.

Not that I'm trying to sell them or anything, but the customer service is second to none. Any oroblems and you can speak to Pete Malandrone, Brian's own guitar tech for the last 20 yrs who co-developed the signature guitar.

There you go that's my defence :) Obviously it's not for everyone, but take away the Brian May connection and it's an amazing guitar in it's own right :)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 00:47 
Darkling

Absolutely not knocking the guitar's tone/playability, if it's good for Brian May, it's good for you/me, right?

I just think they're butt-ugly... Personal opinion! I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Regarding the Strat comments though I totally agree. I've played a few Strats, never got on with them either. I just find that Strats are too lightweight, but it does go beyond that as well for me because I've played Ibanez guitars and loved them also. So I don't know if the body is the real issue here. Maybe more the tonewoods and the pickups. I do like Telecasters though. And Fender do some nice acoustics.

However, I'm a real sucker for Les Pauls, so that's where it's at for me. If I could have any signature guitar, I'd want Joe Perry's Boneyard Les Paul. And I don't say that just looking at the guitar in photos. I got the chance to play one not so long ago. Extremely good guitar. Loved the neck. The pickups were nice too. It just has a cool feel. I wonder if I felt like Joe Perry for real, for a minute playing it! Haha.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 01:00 
Darkling

I used to be all about the Les Paul. I did a gig last week with my Les Paul and I've got another gig tomorrow and in yesterdays rehearsal I decided to get my Tele out again. Nothing beats it. Just so so so versatile and has a gorgeous tone

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2013, 06:57 
Darkling

Luke wrote:

Regarding the Strat comments though I totally agree. I've played a few Strats, never got on with them either. I just find that Strats are too lightweight, but it does go beyond that as well for me because I've played Ibanez guitars and loved them also. So I don't know if the body is the real issue here. Maybe more the tonewoods and the pickups. I do like Telecasters though. And Fender do some nice acoustics.

I agree and would argue that it's mostly in the pickups. Most Strats are pretty purpose-based, and that varies based on make and model. Some falsely assume that popularity = versatility and that's a real trap with Fender guitars. I find that most Stratocasters only have a couple of good tones to them. I love my Strat for its playability but it only has two great tones: Very Clean and Cleaner. It's a very relevant tool for me, but it's never going to be a workhorse.

Most any guitar with humbucking pickups is going to be far more versatile, especially if you install split coils. Fat Strats are a good option if you want the best of both worlds.