All times are UTC [ DST ]

Dan's Gretsch
    PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 21:27 
Darkling

Hey everyone,

remember Dans Gretsch that he plays in the video for "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"? He also played it at all of their gigs for Black Shuck.

Here's an interview with him talking about it in Guitar Magazine, September 2003:

'I've just bought a Gretsch Elliot Easton signature model, made on the specifications of the guitarist from The Cars. It's phenomenal,' he enthuses.
And does it give you that 'My Best Friend's Girl' sound?
'It does,' says Dan.
'It did,' corrects Justin, 'until he changed the pickups.' Dan continues the story, eyes misting over. 'Basically, we signed a record deal and we all got given a certain amount of money to get ourselves out of debt. I'm still skint, whereas these guys only had a couple of hundred pounds' debt and have got loads of money. So to console myself I decide - right - I'm going to go on the internet and find the coolest-looking guitar. I'm going to order it and buy it and no one is going to argue with me. So I went onto the Gretsch website 'cause I've always liked Gretsches even though I always thought they looked a bit old-school and sound a bit honking sometimes. But I found the f####ing coolest guitar I'd ever seen and it was that Elliot Easton thing. It's like a Les Paul, but the Pat Butcher of f###ing Les Pauls; it's dripping with gold, yeah?
So I got it shipped over from the US and sure enough, I plugged it in and it sounded like a Gretsch and didn't suit anything we'd been doing. So I had a chat with my guitar tech Rick and he suggested we put on some Seymour Duncan pickups, which took quite a bit of doing. It now sounds amazing; a bit like a Les Paul, a bit like an SG. It is the coolest f###ing guitar anyone has ever seen, so I'm glad I trusted my instincts.'

Anybody hazard a guess as to what it would be worth? :?

Re: Dan's Gretsch
    PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 04:04 
Darkling

I have only just come to this board for the first time in a long time so I have only just seen this post.

I love that guitar.

Fun fact: I own a Gretsch. I love it. It is only an Electromatic, but it's a solid-body with 2 Gretsch own pickups (not TV Jones Filtertrons unfortunately...! but still they are cool sounding pickups. Oh and no Bigsby either. I wanted that but I've heard they're high-maintenance!)

I actually like the sound of Gretsch. You don't get the clashy distortion of chords you can get with a Les Paul. They do sound really good if you play them through cranked up valve amps because they break up in a very different way to Les Pauls. Pop a carefully EQ'd distortion and OD pedal in front of it for interesting results. They maintain their clarity really well. You can pick out all the notes in the chords still.

Plus, let's not forget, Malcolm Young plays Gretsch... as far as I'm aware he just plays them 'straight' guitar - amp, with nothing in between. Oh and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top! And Billy Duffy from The Cult. Joe Perry of Aerosmith's also dabbled with Gretsch, see Dude Looks Like a Lady music video for some full on sparkly Gretsch action!

Mine is an oddity. Many Gretsch of course are hollowbody or semi-hollow body. The one I have isn't. It's got these 'pits' around the pickups though which seem to act a little bit like the sound hole of an acoustic and 'collect' the sound around the pickups which gives it a bit of an odd coloring but it's a seriously cool guitar.

I highly regard Gretsch guitars. Even their cheaper Electromatic series. I do think that sounds like a vacuum cleaner though, Electrolux hehehe!

Regarding Dan's guitar. Tough question. I think it probably lost value by changing the pickups in it but then gained value as the band gained fame. However, given their current status I'd say it's probably not worth all that much once again if it's in circulation... is it? I didn't think it was... (again)

What's more likely to be a valuable instrument... is the Gibson LP Custom Black Beauty that Gibson actually built for Jimmy Page but it was too heavy for Jimmy...

To be more specific about the guitar in question. Elliot Easton has more than one signature Gretsch. There's an 'electromatic' (cheaper) version as well, though the early iterations of the Korean-made electromatic model didn't have Electromatic written down the headstock as is fairly standard of that range (though I believe from the 2nd batch onward, it did) This particular one in the photo is a Duo Jet with the gold hardware (circa. 2003, which aligns it with the time of the interview). A 2001 model also exists with chrome/silver hardware. And there's also one with a green finish, with the gold hardware.

Retail price? Not sure! I can't seem to find that information unfortunately. Don't know if they're selling it anymore.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 06:56 
Darkling

Hi Luke,

thanks for your reply. I was wandering about value because I'm extremely fortunate to own it and haven't got a clue how much to insure it for :?: The original retail price was £2500, it wouldn't matter to me if it was worthless, how many people can say that their guitar has played at 3 sold out nights at Wembley Stadium & been in the video to a hit single on both sides of the Atlantic?!

I met Dan in Coventry last week and he was telling me that he used it on loads of recordings on the first two albums. He also said that Max Rafferty from The Kooks used it on all of his album which Dan produced.

It's an amazing looking and sounding guitar, I just love how unique it is, truly one of a kind and being a huge fan of The Darkness, the back story is unbeatable :)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013, 12:03 
Darkling

Jealous Darkling here :lol:

Well. That's awesome.

I wouldn't know where to begin (personally)! I would actually recommend, if you can, contacting someone who specializes in vintage and collectible guitars. A good place to start might be the infamous Denmark Street in London... Wunjo's might be able to help you out with a valuation.

I mean if you're able to get a COA for it (if you don't already have one), that may help!

But seriously, that's cool. I would love to own that guitar!

How did you acquire it (if you don't mind me asking)?

I did hear that it has done the rounds a little bit, it's gone up on eBay a few times hasn't it?

I'd also love to know what ever happened to the Justin Hawkins signature sparkleburst Les Paul Customs! I know a couple of those of some of the lesser-paraded finishes were auctioned off for various reasons, and the pink/silver ended up with the waxwork of Justin in Madame Tussaud's (if that waxwork is still around, I wonder!)

I know there was a limited run of the black/silver that was sold out...

But yeah if I remember there was a (couple of) pink-silvers, a green-silver and a blue-silver as well.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013, 13:33 
Darkling

I haven't got a COA for it, but it is one of a kind thanks to the Seymour Duncans in it. It's also in Dan's original flight case, which has been resprayed with "Stone Gods" as he was using it with them until he sold it. If I get to meet Dan again I'll see if I can get him to sign something confirming it's authenticity.

Dan sold it to a guy called Rob in Norfolk whose son knew Dan through Leeders Farm Studios. Apparantly he sold a load of kit at the time to help fund the 2nd Stone Gods album. As he didn't want to play it and it was just collecting dust, Rob put it up for sale on eBay a few times, but withdrew it for sale each time due to in his words "loads of nutters harrassing me about it". He finally put it up for sale on Gumtree last year due to emigrating to Australia and that's where I came across it. He said he was about to give up selling it again due to more nutters, but when he realised that I was a genuine fan and offered to collect it the next day and pay cash he was happy to part company with it.

No ideas on Justins Les Paul customs, they're out there somewhere though :) If Justins waxwork isn't there any more, I wonder what happened to it? Maybe they sold it on or melted it down to make some current "celebrity". That would be a cool thing to have in the living room, especially if it came with the guitar!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 06:59 
Darkling

If you ever want or need to sell it, make sure this place is the first to know! Me in particular!! ;) forget gumtree and eBay. No hassle from me. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 07:19 
Darkling

Cool, I promise The Darklings would be the first to know :)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 12:28 
Darkling

No...not the darklings....just me! Ha! ;) just to have a 5 minute jam would be ace!!

Really want Justin's signature too.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 14:57 
Darkling

Now considering selling this beauty

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 16:05 
Darkling

Dan's guitar has now been sold. Congratulations to the lucky buyer :)

Re: Dan's Gretsch- Not for sale
    PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 20:48 

Hi
Sorry guys I realised I would be a complete idiot selling it

Sorry for messing anyone around!!

Take care
g

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 5.13 KiB | Viewed 3432 times ]