All times are UTC [ DST ]

Justin's Voice...and Age.
    PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 05:16 
Darkling

As a classic rock fan - I've grown up watching my older rock bands get older and along with that, so do their abilities age, as well. One of my favorite bands - KISS - I've watched Paul Stanley go downhill vocally in recent years from the abuse his voice has endured the last 40 years. Added to that list is Brian Johnson, Vince Neil (not a Motley fan, but still), MeatLoaf, David Lee Roth, Ozzy Osbourne and many others.

What I worry about with Justin is that with Pinewood Smile, he seems to overdo the frequency of utilizing his higher pitch. It's probably the most falsetto he's done since the debut album.

Personally, I think with his voice, the higher range is better used as a spice rather than a main course and with the two albums before Pinewood Smile, he seemed to agree with that. But has since thrown that out the window.

While I could go on about how musically I don't think it's a smart choice to overuse the higher frequency as it becomes nauseating - I want to make the case that he needs to tone it down more just for the sake of the care of his voice.

The amount they tour and the length he goes to try and replicate these vocals will eventually take their toll - and I think they already have. He's lost a bit of power, to my ear.

Not only that, but his former drug use's effects on his voice won't really hit him until another few years. So that hasn't even come to roost just yet - and while he's been clean for nearly...9 or 10 years - the affects of the amount of drugs he's done in the past won't help in terms his voice holding up the next 10 or so years. It could hurt him later on or not - but precautions now would be smart.

I just think for the sake of the care of his voice and also to better serve the music, he needs to tone down his overuse of the higher register. I hate to think of a time where he won't be able to perform any of their catalog because they'll be so far out of his range. And I don't want to see him do what many rockers have done and butcher his own songs vocally.

That and I often prefer his normal register and even the lower one ("Open Fire").

Justin, tone it down a bit. It serves the songs better and it's easier on your voice.

Re: Justin's Voice...and Age.
    PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 07:10 
Darkling

For some reason I get the impression that the band don't read these forums, and I also get the impression that he doesn't really care what people think.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 03:34 
Darkling

I do agree in a way, but you'd amazed how singers blow their voices, and just have surgery to correct it again. I recently read Cyndi Lauper's Autobiography, and she's actually blown her voice twice and had to the surgery, they just keep it secret.
The touring schedule doesn't look quite as heavy past ones I've seen them do as well, I've also noticed on what live recordings I've seen of them doing the new stuff live, he is using a lot of reverb on his mic during the high bits. This will help to get the effect of using his upper range loudly, while actually putting less strain on him every night. also not all the high bits on the album sound like Justin on some tracks, I recon Rufus does some too.
I also agree he should use his lower register more, as you express more emotion in that range than in the higher range. He has a good voice for ballads too he should milk that more. He always seems to be able to cram some kind of dark reference into the lyrics too, there's always a twist.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 20:48 
Darkling

Oh and another thing, did you know Meatloaf actually completely blew his voice and had to have the surgery to get nodules removed and learn to sing again right back in the 80's? It happens a lot. Interesting fact too, Bonnie Tyler's voice is the result of the surgery to remove nodules going wong. As after you have the surgery you aren't supposed to talk for about two weeks (or back then you weren't, it's probably different now) and she's a really chatty woman so couldn't do it, so has unusual patterns of scar tissue on her vocal chords. Worked for her.

and laugh.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 04:34 
Darkling

The success of such a surgery is hit and miss. It screwed over Julie Andrews and didn't do anything for Paul Stanley.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 20:18 
Darkling

He has been using extreme amounts of reverb and a bizzare echo effect on the end of his vocals for ages now. Anyway his chsnged voice sounded really good on LOOK not quite as good on the new album but that might be down to the production being so truly awful

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 20:44 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
The success of such a surgery is hit and miss. It screwed over Julie Andrews and didn't do anything for Paul Stanley.

Very true there's no guarantee it will work, women have the problem where their voices go wobbly with age too and we lose our upper vocal range, that's what has happened to Julie Andrews I think. I've heard of some really bizarre things women are doing now to prevent this, including having stem cells (so ground up fetus's basically) injected into their larynx's.

Everyone's voices change with age some are just luckier than others in how they change. Frankly I'm surprised Justin's voice has lasted as long as it has, it's amazing when you consider what he's actually doing to his larynx all the time. I just hope he has a good vocal coach somewhere who's teaching him how to limit the damage. I've only seen him live twice so far, and am going again in a couple of weeks, he's always been a pleasure to listen to vocally, and i've always been impressed by his bands musical skills whichever one he was performing with at the time.

and laugh.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 21:08 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
He has been using extreme amounts of reverb and a bizzare echo effect on the end of his vocals for ages now. Anyway his chsnged voice sounded really good on LOOK not quite as good on the new album but that might be down to the production being so truly awful

Yes I remember when I saw them live on the Hot Cakes era tour (well it was the one after where they were performing permission to land from beginning to end) something went wrong with his mic settings on the first song. It started buzzing horribly and he had to run off the stage briefly, presumably while it was fixed bless him.
I was only taught to sing without a mic like an opera singer, but I understand the mic settings have to be quite complex if you sing a lot of high stuff, or it gets distorted really badly.
I think his changing voice sounds good too, I think the new album was recorded with them all playing together and not mixed and over produced from what I've seen them saying in interviews.

and laugh.