All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: PINEWOOD SMILE - Everyone's Thoughts.
    PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 12:26 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Controversial comment of the day: Rufus has a big influence over the sound and direction of the band.

Annnnd... banish me :mrgreen:

No, but seriously. That's my opinion. I genuinely believe if we were still looking at the original lineup we would be getting a very different album to this day.

How would that be controversial? I don't think it is, at all. I think you're correct. And sadly, I think that influence may be to their detriment.

Pinewood Smile's tracks sometimes play as if they were written a certain way to specifically show off the drums, first and foremost. I feel like the band either really wanted to show off their Queen connection's abilities or they want to keep Rufus happy and give him a spotlight on the drums that has been thus far unprecedented for the band's prior drummers.

Not to mention I think his younger attitude and personality may have reverted them to a band compromised of writing a lot of piss-take songs to a level of frequency that they've not done before. Something that I'm also not in favor of - and I'm younger than Ru.

Personally, I feel his drumming is way too try-hard. He's damn good - but he fills every space with a...well, fill. He doesn't play to the songs or for their benefit, sometimes. He seems way too eager to prove himself - something he honestly doesn't need to do.

And fans on TDA act like the guy is Neil Peart in terms of ability.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 10:02 
Darkling

Someone replied to a post on TDA and said that "I love the regression the band has had since Ru joined!"

They literally admitted that the band has regressed in songwriting since the last album with this new one - but that they love that regression.

Now, I've never used the term "sheep" before...but. Some definitely are moving the goalposts or trying to bend in unnatural ways to praise this album.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 07:46 
Darkling

I have no idea. I'm just sitting on the sidelines of TDA now.

On the up side, the promo video for the Tour de Prance was actually hilarious... It was "Classic Darkness".

The whole 4 men, 4 weiners, 7 balls, 1 afro... etc thing. Very theatre-esque and funny.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2017, 14:09 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Someone replied to a post on TDA and said that "I love the regression the band has had since Ru joined!"

They literally admitted that the band has regressed in songwriting since the last album with this new one - but that they love that regression.

Now, I've never used the term "sheep" before...but. Some definitely are moving the goalposts or trying to bend in unnatural ways to praise this album.

Now I know I've said it before but I'm finding it seriously hard to believe that some people don't think too much of Last of Our Kind or at least think Pinewood crushes it as an album.

Unbelievable...

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 10:31 
Darkling

Makin'Out87 wrote:
Now I know I've said it before but I'm finding it seriously hard to believe that some people don't think too much of Last of Our Kind or at least think Pinewood crushes it as an album.

Unbelievable...

Believe it.

The fans on there (or a lot of them, anyway) not only think that it crushes Last Of Our Kind in terms of songwriting, maturity, depth and as an album in general (they've used those words - to me, there is nothing mature about PS) - but many think Pinewood Smile is just simply their best work ever (topping the debut album).

I personally think Darkness fans who proclaim such things are high.

I probably wouldn't mind their opinion so much if they didn't cram it in everyone's face and act like anyone who ranks any Darkness album ahead of Pinewood Smile are the crazy ones.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 15:01 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:

Believe it.

The fans on there (or a lot of them, anyway) not only think that it crushes Last Of Our Kind in terms of songwriting, maturity, depth and as an album in general (they've used those words - to me, there is nothing mature about PS) - but many think Pinewood Smile is just simply their best work ever (topping the debut album).

I personally think Darkness fans who proclaim such things are high.

I probably wouldn't mind their opinion so much if they didn't cram it in everyone's face and act like anyone who ranks any Darkness album ahead of Pinewood Smile are the crazy ones.

It's always a disaster when you come across fans that are fanatical to the point that you can't, you practically are not allowed to say anything even remotely negative because everyone is immediately ready to stone you. I have this experience from another website (not TD related) where everybody immediately labels you as "so negative" and "complaining about everything" if you post something that isn't all sunshine...

I'm glad we can freely express our opinions here and discuss them. :)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 18:00 
Darkling

Exactly. I'm a fan - not a sunshine pumper.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 01:42 
Darkling

Honestly, Permission to Land and Last of Our Kind are the only two albums I can still listen to in their entirety.

The rawness of Permission to Land, and the musical prowess and back-to-roots songwriting in Last of Our Kind are what make those their best works.

The stuff in between/either side of are over-cooked and patchy.

Hot Cakes's downfall is its lack of consistency.

One Way Ticket... is kinda saved by its consistency (production wise) but it's too over the top for my liking.

Pinewood Smile, really, is just an abomination.

There's good songs but seriously don't know what the hell they were thinking.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 20:46 
Darkling

^ PTL and LOOK are definitely their best albums. To me the weaker sides of the other albums are:

- OWTTHAB - overproduced (especially Seemed) and their worst song ever (Blind Man), otherwise the songs are good

- HC - a few considerable lows (Every Inch, EHAGT), no real highs, even the best songs lack that magical something, the whole album feels like TD on autopilot but soundwise it's very consistent

- PS - the production is weak, songs don't work together at all, the curse of LOOK being the previous album

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 21:48 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
^ PTL and LOOK are definitely their best albums. To me the weaker sides of the other albums are:

- OWTTHAB - overproduced (especially Seemed) and their worst song ever (Blind Man), otherwise the songs are good

- HC - a few considerable lows (Every Inch, EHAGT), no real highs, even the best songs lack that magical something, the whole album feels like TD on autopilot but soundwise it's very consistent

- PS - the production is weak, songs don't work together at all, the curse of LOOK being the previous album

For the most part I agree. However, Hot Cakes... I love "With a Woman", "Keep Me Hangin' On", "Living Each Day Blind" and "She Just a Girl Eddie"

I remember they played "With a Woman" live in Brisbane - that was the song's debut. It was killer live. If they had made a version of Cannonball like the live version on the main album, same with "Can't Believe It's Not Love..." and cut a couple of the filler tracks it would've been an absolutely killer comeback. As it stands, it's average overall with a handfull of killers and the letdown is the inconsistency (suppose it's sorta like syrup on the hot cakes then lol)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 01:39 
Darkling

I noticed with just about all of us who have chimed in on this page - our opinions of the album have soured a bit even from a few weeks ago, when we weren't as harsh.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 01:52 
Darkling

How I would rank the albums, personally...

1.) Last Of Our Kind
2.) One Way Ticket To Hell...and Back

3.) Permission To Land
4.) Hot Cakes
5.) Pinewood Smile

Permission To Land often swaps with One Way Ticket, though.

I love Hot Cakes - it's such a fun, cohesive summer album. It's got some of my favorite tracks of theirs ("With A Woman", "Nothin's Gonna Stop Us", "Concrete" and others). It was them getting their groove back, a bit. The record puts me in a great mood when I hear it and while some songs aren't amazing, nothing on here is truly awful, either for me. It doesn't have many big highs but it's pretty consistently solid. Love the album cover, too!

One Way Ticket To Hell...and Back is polished, from the heart and varied. It's a record that takes me somewhere when I hear it and to counter someone above, I love "Blind Man" for its harmonies. Regardless, the album is very mature for them and I appreciate it for that reason. A lot of heart and effort in this one. They tried so hard on this one and it shows.

Permission To Land is a close to perfect hard rock album and a very strong debut - its strength being quite a rarity for first albums. The guitars are up front and center, the ballads still manage to have balls and heart at the same time and the lyrics are clever and sometimes even interesting. Not much else to say here - I just wish the band would stop chasing another version of it.

Last Of Our Kind is their most mature, textured, interesting and credible album they've ever done. In some ways, it's a concept album because it has a running theme with some songs, lyrically. The production is top notch, the songs are varied yet have a unified feel, the songs take so many turns, it stands on its own as not just a great Darkness album but a great classic rock album. I think they wear their influences on their sleeve here more than ever, actually - yet still sound like nobody but themselves, all at the same time. The album art is brilliant, too.

Pinewood Smile...oh, dear. The songs do not mesh well together, at all. It's the band making a piss-take of a record, essentially. It feels like a big goof, honestly. It has some great tracks don't get me wrong - but there is a palatable downgrade in effort, song quality, lyrics, polish, production, songwriting and style. It's their worst album, by far. I say that as someone who has loved every record thus far for varying reasons. I should be biased to love this album - but I can't do it. Like I said, I love some tracks - but for some reason the album itself just leaves me wondering what they were thinking. I wish I was having as much fun listening to it as they did making it. And that album cover..

As someone above said, Pinewood Smile had the difficult act of following Last Of Our Kind. But it just felt like they dumbed themselves down. How do you go from a layered brilliant composition like "Mighty Wings" to "Stampede of Love"?! I just wish they tried to follow it up proper.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 18:33 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
[
For the most part I agree. However, Hot Cakes... I love "With a Woman", "Keep Me Hangin' On", "Living Each Day Blind" and "She Just a Girl Eddie"

For me, With a Woman is the song that is the closest to a real "high" on Hot Cakes, followed by Concrete and Living Each Day Blind. But when I compare these to the highs of PTL (LIOAF, Black Shuck...), OWTTHAB (ITJM, Bald, Hazel Eyes...), LOOK (RW, OF, MW...) or even PS (IWIWIH, BOH...), there is something about these HC songs that is missing. But of course it's only my own personal opinion. :)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 02:17 
Darkling

I think it may have something to do with the Darkness Army controversy over how some have said that PS is better than PTL!

Well they're nuts...

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 16:47 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Luke wrote:
Controversial comment of the day: Rufus has a big influence over the sound and direction of the band.

Annnnd... banish me :mrgreen:

No, but seriously. That's my opinion. I genuinely believe if we were still looking at the original lineup we would be getting a very different album to this day.

How would that be controversial? I don't think it is, at all. I think you're correct. And sadly, I think that influence may be to their detriment.

Pinewood Smile's tracks sometimes play as if they were written a certain way to specifically show off the drums, first and foremost. I feel like the band either really wanted to show off their Queen connection's abilities or they want to keep Rufus happy and give him a spotlight on the drums that has been thus far unprecedented for the band's prior drummers.

Not to mention I think his younger attitude and personality may have reverted them to a band compromised of writing a lot of piss-take songs to a level of frequency that they've not done before. Something that I'm also not in favor of - and I'm younger than Ru.

Personally, I feel his drumming is way too try-hard. He's damn good - but he fills every space with a...well, fill. He doesn't play to the songs or for their benefit, sometimes. He seems way too eager to prove himself - something he honestly doesn't need to do.

And fans on TDA act like the guy is Neil Peart in terms of ability.

Correlation does not equate to causality.

Something is different in the songwriting. One of the band members has changed. One must be the cause of the other. But I don't really think so.

Even if every song is credited to every member, drummers normally have by far the least songwriting input. Very few tracks are written by drummers. Any impact is normally just on performance.

What Rufus has brought for me is less good drumming. All mid-paced, few fills and flourishes, and he does not hit hard enough. Emily hit hard, she has great beat and rhythm.

I haven't come back to the album much. I still think it's much better than Ticket and Cakes. Rack of Glam, Seagulls and Rock in Space are better than nearly all of the album tracks, especially Rack. I come back to those three songs the most.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Farking 'ell.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 18:17 
Darkling

It's not just that a band member has changed - but that band member comes with star-power connection and he's a lot younger to the band and thus brings a much different energy which can impact the songwriting. If the band wants to show off a new member, it of course can affect the songwriting.

I will say that I wouldn't call Rufus mid-tempo or lacking in fills - to me, he's too fast and fills too much. He's too busy and overplays.

The album is lackluster, though. No way is it better than any album prior.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 10:06 
Darkling

One of the playlists I currently have on my phone has Rack of Glam and Uniball in it.

I'd say they're easily my two favourites from the album, but I also love Rock in Space. A couple of others do get me as well. But overall, yes, as others have said - the album is lacklustre.

The strange thing is though, the mixed feelings about Rufus.

Ed wasn't a very good drummer. He did mostly the same things. He did what he did well, but he wasn't exactly a powerhouse drummer.

The best drummer I think they've had is Emily. And, overall, their best album I'm still torn between PTL/LOOK.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 23:34 
Darkling

Eds drumming will always be my favorite by a mile. He was real, he wasn't technical or highly skilled but he was still GREAT and helped create that classic Darkness sound. Emily did a fine job on LOOK. Rufus is unbearable, he smashes the drums making all their old classic sound horrible

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 00:36 
Darkling

Ed got worse with each album, unfortunately. I never thought he was great but he was good enough on PTL. Did he have some issues with booze? He put on quite a lot of weight at one point. The one signing I met him at he seemed kind of out of it, didn't say anything at all while the other guys were happy to chat. I think he forgot to sign some of the stuff that Justin passed along to him!

Farking 'ell.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 08:32 
Darkling

Ed was proficient enough to be a good player - and he knew that less was more. He played well, straight-forward and to the songs. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with Luke that Emily was their best drummer. She had proficiency, hit hard, played some interesting things that also fit the song, she put on her own show while not distracting from the overall songs and she just had the strongest musicality.

Also agree with Luke on which two are their best albums - but I don't have an issue deciding that Last Of Our Kind is their best between the two.

This new album makes me want a follow up album - not out of excitement but out of hope to redeem themselves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next