All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: PINEWOOD SMILE - Everyone's Thoughts.
    PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 10:28 
Darkling

There seems to be a lot of complaints over this album. It's quite unfortunate. To see people even complaining about songs like Buccaneers, Solid Gold and Rack of Glam makes me wonder what they need to do and what they will do next after hearing the feedback. As much as it'd be nice to hear them make another album like PTL, I think we all know they've moved on from that and are experimenting a bit more these days. I'm not quite sure where they will go.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Liverpool, December 2003;
Paris, August 2004;
Manchester, December 2004;
Manchester, February 2006;
Liverpool, July 2006;
Leamington Spa, June 2011;
Liverpool, November 2011....
Manchester, November 2017!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 10:32 
Darkling

I don't want them to make another Permission To Land. Buy they seem to keep chasing attempts at doing so. I thought the last album showed otherwise but old habits die hard..

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 06:35 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
I think the new Darkness album is their worst by quite a stretch.

Quite blunt, you are. I can't say I find myself disagreeing, though...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 11:03 
Darkling

All the terrible cover art and stuff aside, I still think that the main problem about Pinewood Smile is that the songs don't work very well together. I do like the majority of songs when I think about them as about isolated tracks and I think that the majority of them are very good songs. But when I listen to the album, I'm rather indifferent to it. This is imo the main reaon while I would label PS as one of their weaker albums. :(

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 14:30 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
I still think that the main problem about Pinewood Smile is that the songs don't work very well together. I do like the majority of songs when I think about them as about isolated tracks and I think that the majority of them are very good songs. But when I listen to the album, I'm rather indifferent to it.

You are correct, in my mind. The album doesn't flow or progress naturally, at all.

That notion is heightened by how imbalanced it is with the first half of the album being so much more heavy-based and the second half being ballads almost exclusively bar "Japanese Prisoner of Love". Couple that with an inconsistent production...

There just isn't any cohesion, but even that feels like the wrong word. The tracks just clash with one another. It doesn't feel like an "album". Just a collection of songs.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 06:47 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
Justins vocals sound horrible at points unlike on look where he seemed to have found a way to sound good again even though his tone and high notes have completely changed from the early days. Also you can tell most of the guitar parts were written by Dan and not Justin I miss old style Darkness.

I love "Barbara" and "I Wish I was In Heaven" I genuinely think these songs are on par with the last album. Other than that I would give it 4 out of 10. I will very likely avoid listening to these songs again and I literally have always loved their entire back catalogue + Hot Leg. Sucks to be me.

Album 6 will be rad I am sure.

Just one guys opinion. Peace

I have to agree on the vocals. He's lost the power he used to have, but certain parts (like the word "deny" in Solid Gold) he goes into this weird tone that makes him sound like a child. I'd rather he sings in the Open Fire voice from now on than use that awful weak tone.

And you're right about the songwriting; Justin said in an interview it was mostly Dan and the band writing the songs and occasionally Justin would suggest they go to a certain chord. It is absolutely insane to waste the brilliant songwriting mind that produced Red Light Fever (I'd even argue that is a superior album to PTL). Especially if they're as desperate to regain that fame as they're saying, why in the world would they not put two heads together to create the absolute best music possible?

Concrete-Lion wrote:
You are correct, in my mind. The album doesn't flow or progress naturally, at all.

That notion is heightened by how imbalanced it is with the first half of the album being so much more heavy-based and the second half being ballads almost exclusively bar "Japanese Prisoner of Love". Couple that with an inconsistent production...

There just isn't any cohesion, but even that feels like the wrong word. The tracks just clash with one another. It doesn't feel like an "album". Just a collection of songs.

Which is particularly funny as Justin has been saying in interviews how they remain committed to being an album band. He also mentioned how so many bands turn down their guitars on each succeeding album, with no apparent sense of irony...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 11:12 
Darkling

For the first time since PS release I listened to some older TD songs, precisely some songs from LOOK. I feel a bit upset about it because I was trying to defend PS a bit and argued that the songs on it are mostly good. But after listening to LOOK songs (Roaring Waters, Open Fire and Barbarian), I have to admit that the LOOK songs are a completely different level than anything on PS. I don't know if it is the production of the songs or the overall quality of them but it's practically incomperable.... I still like the songs on PS but until now I wasn't aware that the gap between it and LOOK is so huge... :(

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017, 23:21 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
For the first time since PS release I listened to some older TD songs, precisely some songs from LOOK. I feel a bit upset about it because I was trying to defend PS a bit and argued that the songs on it are mostly good. But after listening to LOOK songs (Roaring Waters, Open Fire and Barbarian), I have to admit that the LOOK songs are a completely different level than anything on PS. I don't know if it is the production of the songs or the overall quality of them but it's practically incomperable.... I still like the songs on PS but until now I wasn't aware that the gap between it and LOOK is so huge... :(

It's not just the production (though Last Of Our Kind's is better) - the song quality just is on another level of quality, polish, effort and detail...

What you just said is everything I've been trying to say since the album's release. The gap is huge. I felt like I got whiplash from how jarring the contrast of albums is.

I've kinda tried to express what you've said on the Darkness Army page but all I get is "Troll." or "PS is their best EVER. I freaking love it!!" or I hear that "their songwriting has hit a new high, it buries LOOK! Best Darkness album ever!"

I think if Pinewood Smile was a transition between Hot Cakes and Last Of Our Kind it would seem better. But since its release, I've felt Pinewood Smile is a major step down in quality of songs/production/effort from Last Of Our Kind. Music aside, even visually this era is a step down on all fronts from the last.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 00:01 
Darkling

@Concrete-Lion Anybody who says "their songwriting has hit a new high, it buries LOOK! Best Darkness album ever!" is an absolute moron and completely clueless about the band.
Buries LOOK? Roaring Waters? Mighty Wings?, Conquerors? Sarah O' Sarah? Mudslide?Messenger?, Always Had The Blues? Million Dollar Strong?... We must be hearing a different album entirely.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 01:24 
Darkling

I put PS on in the car last night for the drive home and remembered how bad it actually is.

There's a handful of songs I love...
- Uniball
- Rack of Glam
- Japanese Prisoner of Love
- Happiness
- Southern Trains
- Rock in Space

And the rest I can just pass on to be honest.

It's an extremely disappointing album, really. I find myself skipping songs like I Wish I Was in Heaven, Seagulls, Lay Down With Me Barbara and so on because they're just so cringe-worthy.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 02:58 
Darkling

Best song is JPOL. Would have fit better on LOOK with LOOK production too.

Worst songs are Seagulls and Barbara. Fuck those songs. Straight up. That's not The Darkness, that's trash.

Also very surprised to hear Justin didn't contribute much to the writing this time. I can tell. My favorite TD songs are Justin written mostly. Analytically, that's where I think is why I don't like this album as much as the rest (except Hot Cakes).

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 04:20 
Darkling

Makin'Out87 wrote:
Buries LOOK? Roaring Waters? Mighty Wings?, Conquerors? Sarah O' Sarah? Mudslide?Messenger?, Always Had The Blues? Million Dollar Strong?... We must be hearing a different album entirely.

I totally agree. I feel like other fans heard another record. I relistened to Last Of Our Kind today on my way - and it just...destroys, it levels Pinewood Smile.

And it's not with glee that I say that - I wanted Pinewood Smile to be as good.

Luke wrote:
I put PS on in the car last night for the drive home and remembered how bad it actually is.

There's a handful of songs I love...

And the rest I can just pass on to be honest.

It's an extremely disappointing album, really.

I feel the same way.

DerekAntos wrote:
Best song is JPOL. Would have fit better on LOOK with LOOK production too.

Worst songs are Seagulls and Barbara. Fuck those songs. Straight up. That's not The Darkness, that's trash.

Also very surprised to hear Justin didn't contribute much to the writing this time. I can tell. My favorite TD songs are Justin written mostly. Analytically, that's where I think is why I don't like this album as much as the rest (except Hot Cakes).

See, I love Hot Cakes. It's a fun, summer rock album. Plus the album art and overall vinyl package is awesome. And it's at least cohesive and sounds like an "album" unlike this new one.

The songs that I love are...

-"Japanese Prisoner of Love"
-"Southern Trains"
-"I Wish I Was In Heaven"
-"Uniball"
-"Buccaneers of Hispanola"

That's about it. I "like" some others but very few. Part of me wonders if time will make me like them even less. I will also say that even the songs that I love, I still don't think they're strong enough to where I'd take them over any track on the last album.

Justin contributed less? Weird. I figured Dan would've been the one who would write more serious, less joke-y and more hard driven stuff. Hmm.

Last edited by Concrete-Lion on 02 Nov 2017, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 04:29 
Darkling

Speaking just on a hunch here, but for some reason I can imagine them distancing themselves from this album/being critical of it when they promote the next one, honestly.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 07:28 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Speaking just on a hunch here, but for some reason I can imagine them distancing themselves from this album/being critical of it when they promote the next one, honestly.

Your opinion has changed? Refer to Makin'Out87...

Makin'Out87 wrote:
@Concrete-Lion Anybody who says "their songwriting has hit a new high, it buries LOOK! Best Darkness album ever!" is an absolute moron and completely clueless about the band.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 08:09 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:

Your opinion has changed? Refer to Makin'Out87...

Makin'Out87 wrote:

Refer to reading the actual post and you'll see that I was summarizing what people were saying on the Darkness Army in response to the heaps of criticism I give the album. None of that is what I myself was saying.

I thought the preceding sentence and quotation marks gave it away.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 08:47 
Darkling

Personally, I can't understand why Pinewood Smile is getting so much flack while Last of Our Kind is getting so much praise. To me, Last of Our Kind was a good album but too many weak songs or songs let down by weak choruses. More specifically, the first half was brilliant and the second half ruined it with with Sarah, Mighty Wings and Conquerors. Mudslide and Hammer and Tongs were good songs and stopped the back end from being a complete fail. Then the bonus tracks were just ok with the exception of Always Had The Blues which should have made the album. That's how I see it. I think overall Pinewood Smile gives it a run for its money, the bonus tracks are better and the only song I really don't like is Lay Down With Me Barbara.

Paris, August 2004;
Liverpool, July 2006;

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 09:05 
Darkling

"Mighty Wings" is never a low point. Ever. Last of Our Kind doesn't lack good choruses, though. Even "Sarah O'Sarah" is great with it's horse galloping drums.

The songwriting on that album is just on another level of strength and sophistication, though.

As an album, Pinewood Smile feels too much like a piss take. When I think of week choruses, stuff like Lay Down With Me, Barbara" take that title.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 09:31 
Darkling

Agree with Lay Down With Me Barbara, but I can't agree with Mighty Wings. I don't understand why anyone thinks it's a good song.

Paris, August 2004;
Liverpool, July 2006;

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 06:33 
Darkling

Noticing just how brickwalled this album is. When I crank the other albums of theirs - I don't get that fuzziness. There's no severe distortion, loss of clarity, fuzz to them.

But Pinewood Smile...you crank it and it becomes fuzzy, less clear, distorted as all Hell. Very, very brickwalled.

Just let Dan produce, guys.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 10:25 
Darkling

Controversial comment of the day: Rufus has a big influence over the sound and direction of the band.

Annnnd... banish me :mrgreen:

No, but seriously. That's my opinion. I genuinely believe if we were still looking at the original lineup we would be getting a very different album to this day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next