All times are UTC [ DST ]

"Southern Trains" - Music Video...Oh, Lord.
    PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 10:30 
Darkling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OR9edcMKfM

I really love this band, I truly do. I hope this isn't the final video because this is truly, truly awful. I get their tongue-in-cheek angle that they sometimes have - but this is too far, for me.

After how seriously they took the last album, it's jarring for me as a fan to see this kind of video being put out there to represent such a stellar musical act.

I miss the Last Of Our Kind era, dearly.

The new album cover, weak singles (other than "Southern Trains"), low budget videos, Justin seeming a bit off lately, etc. I'm really worried the band is low on funds, big time. Not like I have stock in their finances - but I want them to be successful so they can keep on doing what they do. But I'm worried, guys.

Maybe I'm being a stick in the mud. But as of now, I'm groaning internally at this type of thing...

Re: "Southern Trains" - Music Video...Oh, Lord.
    PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 11:47 
Darkling

Unfortunately, I agree.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I fucking hate Snapchat and all of the stupid filters and stuff people put on their faces.

Don't worry, I'm with you there. It kind of ruins the song for me watching that video actually... Sigh.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 12:28 
Darkling

Southern Trains...Wonderful track...The video? I actually like the video in a sort of weird way. It's quite quirky and funny.

Now if they had of gone down the serious route, I can see the video being set in a countryside/industrial/subway train sort of setting..

This band always surprises and entertains...

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 14:26 
Darkling

Jeez, I was absolutely terrified to watch the music video after super quickly skimming throught Luke's and Concrete-Lion's posts in order to see if that "oh lord" is meant in a positive or negative way.

Honestly, I quite like the music video. Like, it's stupid and ridiculous but it's quite funny. Even my sister (who doesn't like TD) said it is funny. It reminds me, in a good way, of the pre-official (?) music video of IBIATCL.

I hope that snapchat gave / will give a fat cheque for promoting it like that, haha. :D

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 15:23 
Darkling

I love this video. Better than ATPG and SG (which were both average at best) by a mile.

For a band with an empty pockets, they seem to take a very little care about the radio-friendliness of their music. Not one of the singles from PS sounds like an instant hit.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 06:21 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OR9edcMKfM

I really love this band, I truly do. I hope this isn't the final video because this is truly, truly awful. I get their tongue-in-cheek angle that they sometimes have - but this is too far, for me.

After how seriously they took the last album, it's jarring for me as a fan to see this kind of video being put out there to represent such a stellar musical act.

I miss the Last Of Our Kind era, dearly.

The new album cover, weak singles (other than "Southern Trains"), low budget videos, Justin seeming a bit off lately, etc. I'm really worried the band is low on funds, big time. Not like I have stock in their finances - but I want them to be successful so they can keep on doing what they do. But I'm worried, guys.

Maybe I'm being a stick in the mud. But as of now, I'm groaning internally at this type of thing...

I think the "low finances" theory is kind of busted by the APTG and SG videos. Both great quality, professional looking vids. As I said in the other thread, I think this was just thrown together quickly as a neat idea to go along with the release of Southern Trains, nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 06:33 
Darkling

I disagree - those two videos were extremely cheap to make. Yes, they looked nice. But compared to their previous albums' videos - they're low concept and extremely low cost. One location - both cost nothing to rent, just them miming being silly.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 15:28 
Darkling

I'm sure I read somewhere either Dan or Justin saying one of the videos only cost them £500 to make.
As for the Southern Trains video my guess is it was just a cheap thing put together so it can go on YouTube. I don't think it will gain them many fans as imo it's pretty shit but it is what it is. The band ain't as popular as they once were and seem to have the hard-core fan base that have stayed loyal since 2003 time

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry

RIP Rick Parfitt

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 05:53 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
I disagree - those two videos were extremely cheap to make. Yes, they looked nice. But compared to their previous albums' videos - they're low concept and extremely low cost. One location - both cost nothing to rent, just them miming being silly.

I believe I already explained to you (at great length) how ATPG was not just one location, and how most of their other videos have not been particularly big budget, anyway...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 10:48 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:

Maybe I am missing a point and I don't want to sound rude ofc, but

a) Southern Trains mv yes, but I don't think that the mvs for Solid Gold and especially ATPG with that hellicopter shot and stuff were way more cheaper than the mvs of their previous eras, especially LOOK and HC. It's not like the videos were full of special effects and custom made stuff like for example the recent music videos Love So Soft by Kelly Clarkson or Look What You Made Me Do by Taylor Swift.

b) what's the point of wasting millions on music videos? If you're a pop star, sure, good videos might get more views which are converted into streaming equivalent units which help to attain higher peak position on chart and streams also contribute to overall album sales via SEA and so on. This is true for The Darkness as well, ofc, no views or streams can hurt. In fact Solid Gold and ATPG have both over 200k views (SG has more actually, which quite surprises me) on youtube. I think that's pretty good for an act that isn't a mainstream artist, isn't a household name or worldwide known and hasn't had a charting song, let alone a hit, for over a decade. I don't think that more expensive music videos would gain them more views though. Unless the song goes viral for a reason, the views also depend on the artist and The Darkness aren't really an act that the general public check, regardless of the cost of their music videos.

#sorryfortheessay

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 11:35 
Darkling

Cool. I don't think the budget is the issue here. Reason I say that is because of all the touring they still have under their belt on the lead up to the album campaign, and the person who produced the album isn't exactly a nobody - he's done a lot of high profile "mainstream" rock albums including MUSE and Foo Fighters...

Sooooooo... yeah... I would go with the "it was easy to throw together at the last minute" option lol

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 20:22 
Darkling

Maybe they blew their money on the producer.

Sorry guys but they quality of advertising, graphics, videos and album art has me thinking they got fronted much less money for this album than albums prior.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 20:55 
Darkling

I don't care about what videos they release as long as they keep putting out good music, sadly each single so far has been shit.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 21:37 
Darkling

OneMoreRound wrote:
I don't care about what videos they release as long as they keep putting out good music, sadly each single so far has been shit.

I love the singles yet they feel like they're missing something that I can't quite put my finger on..

There's just something about them. They lack this "magic" that I usually hear in their work.

I can't describe it.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 00:06 
Darkling

That's how I feel about everything. There doesn't seem to be that magic spark that got me excited to listen to them. It's not that I've lost interest in them. I love this band and they have been a part of me life ever since IBIATCL came out but it just seems not as fun following them as it used to be?
I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things when I see them on tour this winter.

Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry

RIP Rick Parfitt

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 01:08 
Darkling

Uhmmm I think the spark that is missing is the lack of imaginative lyrics.

:)

We don't know what else to sing so let's just throw in some swearing and screaming!

Very much reminiscent of Hot Cakes, lyrically.

LOOK, for me, brought back what Hot Cakes lacked in imagination and magic from Hot Cakes which sounded like a compilation of leftovers thrown together over time.

I mean, I don't dislike it but the thing is I don't "love" it like I loved LOOK.

I was a bit meh over Barbarian when we first heard it, but Open Fire reassured me that everything was gonna be fine even if the song sounded like nothing else they'd ever done.

On the flip side, I hate the cover art, I hate the title, and the promotional work.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 01:19 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Uhmmm I think the spark that is missing is the lack of imaginative lyrics.

We don't know what else to sing so let's just throw in some swearing and screaming!

It feels like a step back, to me. Not sure why - but it does. Every album since the debut has been largely devoid of profanity. I'm okay with a little - but I hate when it's too much. Makes it so I can't listen to them at work.

It feels a bit...forced?

Luke wrote:
I was a bit meh over Barbarian when we first heard it, but Open Fire reassured me that everything was gonna be fine even if the song sounded like nothing else they'd ever done.

Exactly. It sounded like a fresh spark of drive and creativity but also very much them. It's an interesting album to listen to, it doesn't just rock. It's got variety but also cohesiveness.

I personally don't think they need a producer based on the last album.

Luke wrote:
On the flip side, I hate the cover art, I hate the title, and the promotional work.

I hope you're talking about Pinewood Smile because the cover art for Last Of Our Kind is awesome.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 02:06 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Luke wrote:

I hope you're talking about Pinewood Smile because the cover art for Last Of Our Kind is awesome.

You're right - I'm definitely talking about Pinewood Smile lol.