All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: Solid Gold now available
    PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 14:08 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
I did notice a lot of Steel Panter fans saying that the dick sucking line was pretty much stolen from one of their songs so that may be why they changed it?

I wasn't aware of that but as you pointed it out, I think that it might be the reason why they eventually decided to go with the "fist" version.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 01:29 
Darkling

Quite a standard, mid-paced song. Not mad keen on the lyrics. Good vocal performance though.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Farking 'ell.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 10:57 
Darkling

I think, overall, I prefer All the Pretty Girls to Solid Gold even in the live versions.

Disappointed with Solid Gold, except I like the chorus. I don't like the songs they do where they keep trying to hammer on that 'story' about record deals, fame, etc where they're telling a story about themselves (Every Inch)

Eh.

Still like the riff.

But I agree. The more I listen to the song the more I hate the lyrics.

It just sounds so pretentious.

Even ATPG is a bit! All the pretty girls like me for who I am... blah blah selling out stadiums... etc.

Stupid.

Oh well. We'll see. We've still got another however many songs to hear in October.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 13:13 
Darkling

^ I wanted to write something similar yesterday.

Although I prefered SG live to ATPG live, it's the other way when I compare the studio version. With the exception of the hook ("and we never gonna stop sh*tting out solid gold"), the song is rather bland to me. I really tried to make it grow on me and I failed. Whoever said that it sounds like a Hot Leg song, is right, at the very beginning I can clearly hear similarities with Whichever Way You Wanna Give It. I am very sad that I have to say that I'm disappointed with this song. :(

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 03:55 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
I think, overall, I prefer All the Pretty Girls to Solid Gold even in the live versions.

Disappointed with Solid Gold, except I like the chorus. I don't like the songs they do where they keep trying to hammer on that 'story' about record deals, fame, etc where they're telling a story about themselves (Every Inch)

Eh.

Still like the riff.

But I agree. The more I listen to the song the more I hate the lyrics.

It just sounds so pretentious.

Even ATPG is a bit! All the pretty girls like me for who I am... blah blah selling out stadiums... etc.

Stupid.

Oh well. We'll see. We've still got another however many songs to hear in October.

Agreed. The "Every man, woman and child..." line in Every Inch is one of the most sh*t-eating lyrics I can think of, it makes me cringe. Solid gold is similar. I like The Darkness songs with cleverer lyrics and I think that faster=better. Mid-paced with cheesy lyrics is something I can do without. TD are more talented than that and shouldn't need to dumb down.

Farking 'ell.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 07:34 
Darkling

Yep. It's like Holding My Own. When they said that the song was about masturbation it takes a whole new "cleverness" on in the lyrics.

On the flip side though there's songs where the lyrics are just crap like "Love, love is not the answer..." and "love is not liking someone a lot don't know what love is but I know what love is not for the faint-hearted" is just... ughhhh.

Forbiiiden love oh you shouldn't have forbade it...

Stupid, sounds so uninspired.

Anyway... so far I think we're on track for a disappointing album overall given that Buccaneers was shite live, and the studio versions of the first two singles are also disappointing.

Rock in Space, Rack of Glam, Uniball, Southern Trains and Japanese Prisoner of Love sound like the only really good songs and most of those are bonus tracks.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 10:25 
Darkling

^ I fear that JPOL will be a kind of disappointement for me too, at least judging so from the snippet (although I really hope that I'll like it when the full song is out). Judging from the snippets, I think that Lay Down With Me Barbara, Why Don't The Beautiful Cry, Buccaneers of Hispaniola, I Wish I Was In Heaven, Uniball and Seagulls will be the songs that would save the album for me. (I need the full song to judge Southern Trains)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 10:51 
Darkling

I'm quite disappoint with all that we hear until now. No like All The Pretty Girls, is only a OK track, Solid Gold reminds me to 'Shake', and is not very a superb track. The videos are quite ridiculous, they used to do funny videos, but this videos is a parody of them.
I don't know, I hope that when the album come in a month I will change my mind

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 20:14 
Darkling

You guys are making me feel a whole lot better, honestly. The first two singles just aren't doing it for me like "Barbarian", "Open Fire" and "Hammer and Tongs" did. Not even close.

"With A Woman" and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" are far stronger, more inspired singles for me as well.

I think a lot of the album sounds great ("Buccaneers", "Southern Trains", "Japanese Prisoner", "Happiness", "Uniball", "Rock In Space", etc.) - but I feel it'll be one of their most if not their most uneven effort ever. That's just my impression so far.

That and the videos seem pretty...there? The album cover is atrocious, too.

And I can't say any of this on the Darkness fan page on Facebook - everyone there is on the hype train to the max and can't bear someone not loving everything thus far.

Last edited by Concrete-Lion on 27 Aug 2017, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 20:19 
Darkling

I'll also add that after Last Of Our Kind - this album feels like a dumbing down of themselves.

Lyrically it seems not as strong, it's far too in your face with its silliness instead of being more tongue in cheek.

Last Of Our Kind was a driven, strong album. Great lyrics, tongue in cheek in places, epic and serious in others. It was a happy medium wrapped in a killer concept, album cover and theme.

It just feels like there was more effort? Money? I can't put my finger on it. Last Of Our Kind's build up and release was an event in the fandom. Maybe it's me but this record doesn't have that vibe.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 12:08 
Darkling

I do think that the new album will be good. It just seems like the two singles are the least interesting/"safest" songs from the track list. I'd like to see the band return to the risky days of releasing songs like GYHOMW as singles. It grabbed peoples' attention! But I guess back then the band had nothing to lose.

Farking 'ell.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 05:24 
Darkling

The only way that I've been able to enjoy the two songs so far released is by imagining that the lyrics were intended to be tongue-in-cheek written as if the singer were in their shoes, for example.

Does that make sense?

What I mean is... Justin singing the lyrics of Solid Gold, as if he were another famous rock star with a massive ego, kind of attacking them. If that makes sense?

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.

I'm gonna with-hold until the album comes out and see...

Also agree RE: the Facebook Groups - I quit them because I couldn't deal with it anymore. Unless your opinion is that of the majority of the group, you're basically shamed out and not a "real fan" so I quit :D

Anyhoo, 5 WEEKS TO GO!

:)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:22 
Darkling

I finally remembered to watch the music video and all I have to say is that I've never thought I would see a TD music video in which Dan would be more active than Justin.... :?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 23:13 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
The only way that I've been able to enjoy the two songs so far released is by imagining that the lyrics were intended to be tongue-in-cheek written as if the singer were in their shoes, for example.

Does that make sense?

What I mean is... Justin singing the lyrics of Solid Gold, as if he were another famous rock star with a massive ego, kind of attacking them. If that makes sense?

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.

I'm gonna with-hold until the album comes out and see...

Also agree RE: the Facebook Groups - I quit them because I couldn't deal with it anymore. Unless your opinion is that of the majority of the group, you're basically shamed out and not a "real fan" so I quit :D

Anyhoo, 5 WEEKS TO GO!

:)

Wait, some people are taking the lyrics seriously? You have to be kidding. They could not be more obviously tongue in cheek...

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 10:18 
Darkling

Solid Gold
iTunes:
#196 Norway

:shock:

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 23:54 
Darkling

I don't think that they will be successful with this album because they're not the same band.

Justin seems to have got this massive ego and it really shows in the music videos, interviews and also the live show...

He's lost his sense of humour and become an arrogant prick and it's really showing in all that is happening around the album.

Fortunately the rest of the band still seem to be "themselves".

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 07:15 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
I don't think that they will be successful with this album because they're not the same band.

Justin seems to have got this massive ego and it really shows in the music videos, interviews and also the live show...

He's lost his sense of humour and become an arrogant prick and it's really showing in all that is happening around the album.

:?: :?: :?: Huh? I was just watching a festival gig from 2004 and Justin is straight up antagonizing the crowd for not being enthusiastic enough. If anything, he's way more humble today; he's open about the fact that he doesn't expect success like the old days again. It sounds like you aren't getting his sense of humor.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 02:31 
Darkling

Luke wrote:

completely agree with your opinion Luke.

I used to think Justin was great and was really funny.

Now I just think hes arrogrant, generally disinterested in the fans (Q&A sessions ive been to hes been playing on his phone the whole time) and not funny at all anymore.

I like the music but I dont like him anymore

2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 18:44 
Darkling

darknessrback! wrote:
Luke wrote:

completely agree with your opinion Luke.

I used to think Justin was great and was really funny.

Now I just think hes arrogrant, generally disinterested in the fans (Q&A sessions ive been to hes been playing on his phone the whole time) and not funny at all anymore.

I like the music but I dont like him anymore

Am I the only one who thinks Justin's kinda bored, sad or something like that??

2015-10-07 – Plaza Condesa, Mexico City

Facebook.com/TheDarknessLatino

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 21:13 
Darkling

I haven't seen TD and Justin live at a concert, Q&A or any other occasion, so you might see or / and experience something I haven't, but I'd like to say that I think (and thinking is not knowing ofc) that it is kind of hard to call Justin arrogant, self-centered and humourless if he has enough self-irony and stuff to write and sing lyrics like "I wish I wasn't ugly on the outside but I am ugly".