All times are UTC [ DST ]

Solid Gold now available
    PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 00:14 
Darkling

Solid Gold - Now on iTunes, Spotify ect.

Thoughts?

I think there is something very lacking with the production on the 2 singles we have had so far.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK

Re: Solid Gold now available
    PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 01:52 
Darkling

Regrettably, I have to agree about the production. It's not the greatest production in the world but it's also preferable to OWTTHAB! I can't stand the production on that album it's such a mess...

Production aside, the songs are still great.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 05:22 
Darkling

What's wrong with OWT's production? Besides the drums being pretty flat and dull, the rest is excellent. I'm wondering if you're making the common mistake of confusing "overproduction" for the artist's choice to add instruments. The producer didn't add a sitar and pan flutes to One Way Ticket, that was the band's choice.

OWT's guitars are more prominent than Hot Cakes or Pinewood. Solid Gold really highlights how low the guitars are in the mix, because that's a very rocking tune that NEEDS emphasis on the guitars, more so than ATPG. Listen to the last two chords of the pre-chorus. They're almost inaudible. It's kind of ridiculous that a professional producer would put that out.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 10:50 
Darkling

I have yet to listen to Solid Gold, but the guys just posted on Twitter that the video for the song is coming on 5pm BST (so I suppose today?).

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 10:59 
Darkling

Aren't we supposed to get this download as part of our Pledge Music preorder? Its not showing up yet!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 13:09 
Darkling

DerekAntos wrote:
Aren't we supposed to get this download as part of our Pledge Music preorder? Its not showing up yet!

Check your emails. My link to download it was in there.

As for the song I like it. It has a Hot Leg vibe to it I feel. Not that that is a bad thing. I think it could do with a bit more pace to it though. The live versions of the song seem quicker than the recorded version.

Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry

RIP Rick Parfitt

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 18:22 
Darkling

Music video (at least I hope it's music video, the internet at where I currently am is too slow to play it) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoh-drn2iQ

About the song, I like it but I am a bit letdown too, I expected it to be have a "harder" and a more anthemic sound, if you get what I mean. I agree with the posts above that the guitars should have been more prominent. I really enjoy the hook though (or how to call it) .

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 20:54 
Darkling

The guitars are too quiet in the verses but fine in the chorus :? . Everything is louder than the guitar in the verses...Having been used to the live version (Which I love), I am initially disappointed but i'm sure i'll grow in to the song. Justins Vocals sound great.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 21:01 
Darkling

I get that they're happy to have Rufus but tone down his drum prominence in the mix, guys.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 04:17 
Darkling

The second half of the solo is almost inaudible in the mix... WTF.

Same as ATPG, Justin's lip syncing is weirdly un-charismatic, he looks sedated.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Justin's vocal performance. He sounds really weak on both of the singles so far. Like when he sings "deny" and "die" in the pre-chorus. IDK if it's just a different voice/register than he used to sing in, but it sounds weak and almost like a kid. Then, parts like "we melted his fuckin face" are sung in a breathy, almost whisper kind of voice when that should really be the most powerful vocal part as it's the punchline and the instruments pause for it. An example of what I mean would be I've Met Jesus when he sings "but you'll never get to heaven cause you'd die of shock again".

And also, the trademark Justin doubled/tripled octave vocals are not as prominent as they should be. Same goes for the doubled part of the solo.

I do at least like the little riff added at the end, but of course, it's buried in the mix.

It's frustrating to see a band with such great talent screw up such simple things.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 11:46 
Darkling

The studio version has a more laid back feel which I wasn't expecting. To me, they did the same thing with Hammer & Tongs; that and Solid Gold are groove/rhythm rockers that are driven by the guitar and only need basic/simple production on them, like Givin' Up and to an extent Everybody Have A Good Time. It's baffling why they would think such songs need sprucing up.

Justin vocals sound pretty good to me. The Die/Deny sound breathy and powerful to me.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2017, 20:27 
Darkling

Sounds like Shake (Like A Lettuce Leaf) part 2. Very OWTTH..AB'y, althought it might just be about the heavy drums.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 02:14 
Darkling

Makin'Out87 wrote:
The studio version has a more laid back feel which I wasn't expecting. To me, they did the same thing with Hammer & Tongs; that and Solid Gold are groove/rhythm rockers that are driven by the guitar and only need basic/simple production on them, like Givin' Up and to an extent Everybody Have A Good Time. It's baffling why they would think such songs need sprucing up.

Justin vocals sound pretty good to me. The Die/Deny sound breathy and powerful to me.

Givin Up's production is nothing like EHAGT or Solid Gold. The guitars are up front and center with PTL's mix/production. The guitars in this are stupidly quiet. Not sure what you mean by "sprucing up" or "simple production"? Again, I think you're mixing up production with artists' choices to add flourishes to songs. Good mixing is not more complex than bad mixing.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 05:35 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
Makin'Out87 wrote:

Givin Up's production is nothing like EHAGT or Solid Gold. The guitars are up front and center with PTL's mix/production. The guitars in this are stupidly quiet. Not sure what you mean by "sprucing up" or "simple production"? Again, I think you're mixing up production with artists' choices to add flourishes to songs. Good mixing is not more complex than bad mixing.

Totally agree with you. There's just no high-end. It's like they're so happy Rufus is there that they've made the drums (and bass) front and center. It's odd - and worse, I don't like it.

I don't want to be nit-picky, don't get me wrong. I agree with you, though. From the album cover, to the mixing and some of the aspects of the new videos - the band is making me scratch my head with some of their choices way more than usual, I have to say.

The album needs some beefing up.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 18:44 
Darkling

Soooooo......with all the other profanities floating around in this song, why did they decide to change the last line of the first verse from "this dick ain't gonna suck itself" (as done live when I saw them) to "this fist ain't gonna bump itself" in this studio version??

The change can't be for airplay-friendly reasons because;
1) besides that, there's still loads more effs & jeffs left in this version, and
2) this band never gets any airplay anyway!!!

Seems somewhat strange to me. :?

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 20:24 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:

Totally agree with you. There's just no high-end. It's like they're so happy Rufus is there that they've made the drums (and bass) front and center. It's odd - and worse, I don't like it.

I don't want to be nit-picky, don't get me wrong. I agree with you, though. From the album cover, to the mixing and some of the aspects of the new videos - the band is making me scratch my head with some of their choices way more than usual, I have to say.

The album needs some beefing up.

It's not nit-picking at all. Production and mixing are serious. It can make or break an album's commercial success. Especially to have an integral part mixed so ridiculously low, is quite unprofessional.

And I agree on the videos, too. Justin's charismatic lip syncing is gone. He looks totally disinterested.

Darkness Dave wrote:
Soooooo......with all the other profanities floating around in this song, why did they decide to change the last line of the first verse from "this dick ain't gonna suck itself" (as done live when I saw them) to "this fist ain't gonna bump itself" in this studio version??

1) besides that, there's still loads more effs & jeffs left in this version, and

I was wondering this as well. My best guess is that "shit" is not as bad a swear as "dick". Some TV stations allow "shit" these days. Also, it's kind of an important aspect of the song's punchline, which couldn't easily be changed.

But then, they kept "melted his fuckin face" so I really have no clue.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 20:45 
Darkling

Darkness Dave wrote:

Yeah, I thought that the "dick" line is missing, it's nice to have a confirmation.

I don't get the reason for changing it either. It'd go with the guys liking this new version better but imo this new line seems like a lazy alternative for a radio-friendly version written in 30 seconds... :?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 14:50 
Darkling

Yo!

That lyric actually changed for a third time. "Dick ain't gonna suck itself" was the original lyric and then at one point live it changed to "makes me want to kill myself" and then finally he settled for "first ain't gonna bump itself" I actually think the 3rd and final option is the worst of the 3.

I did notice a lot of Steel Panter fans saying that the dick sucking line was pretty much stolen from one of their songs so that may be why they changed it?

I am honestly finding the production on the new track unbearable especially on "Solid Gold". I have always thought The Darkness released so ins with incredible production on them up until now so I am very disappointed. I know Rufus is a huge Foo Fighters fan and I guess this is why they chose the most recent guy. The only other Darkness release with pretty crap production was the Horn and Don't Let The Bells End 're recording. The remake of Don't Let The Bells End was truly shocking.

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 01:43 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
Yo!

That lyric actually changed for a third time. "Dick ain't gonna suck itself" was the original lyric and then at one point live it changed to "makes me want to kill myself" and then finally he settled for "first ain't gonna bump itself" I actually think the 3rd and final option is the worst of the 3.

I did notice a lot of Steel Panter fans saying that the dick sucking line was pretty much stolen from one of their songs so that may be why they changed it?

I am honestly finding the production on the new track unbearable especially on "Solid Gold". I have always thought The Darkness released so ins with incredible production on them up until now so I am very disappointed. I know Rufus is a huge Foo Fighters fan and I guess this is why they chose the most recent guy. The only other Darkness release with pretty crap production was the Horn and Don't Let The Bells End 're recording. The remake of Don't Let The Bells End was truly shocking.

It actually wasn't consistent chronological changes like that; he seemed to sing the "fist" version at festivals (maybe because of younger crowds?) and the "dick" version at their personal shows. I think the "kill myself" version was just the earliest when they debuted it in 2016.

The performance of Don't Let the Bells End was not as good as the original, but what was wrong with the production? Guitars were much louder/more prominent than Pinewood.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 08:36 
Darkling

I was at Darknesstival when the song premiered and the lyric was "dick ain't gonna suck itself".....

SUCK MY COCK