All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
Author Message
    PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 10:25 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 383
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
The snippets completely changed my opinions about Buccaneers and Prisoner. After hearing the live versions, I loved JPOL and kind of disliked BOH. After hearing the snippets, BOH has really grown on me and I can't wait for full version, while I'm becoming more and more indifferent about JPOL... :( I hope that the full version of JPOL will be great because it would be sad if such a good such was "ruined" (at least for me) by a studio version... :(


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 21:38 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
TavoHawkins wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:

One thing that makes me scratch my head is on the Darkness Facebook group, many are touting that this album "slays" Last Of Our Kind or is ten times better.


The FB group is now a space just to post pictures of the band... There's no serious debate about the "important" things of the band. People just share whatever JH post on instagram or things like that, which it's ok, but in the early days of the group, we used to debate the whole time about musical things, new sound of the band, songs, lyrics, thoughts and that kind of things


I mean, that's Facebook in general for you. Full of incredibly light headed people who just mindlessly defend things they like and cannot be critical of anything they like (much less themselves).

Nerevanin wrote:
The snippets completely changed my opinions about Buccaneers and Prisoner. After hearing the live versions, I loved JPOL and kind of disliked BOH. After hearing the snippets, BOH has really grown on me and I can't wait for full version, while I'm becoming more and more indifferent about JPOL... :( I hope that the full version of JPOL will be great because it would be sad if such a good such was "ruined" (at least for me) by a studio version... :(


Pretty much agreed. Although, I don't think it's ruined, just not as awesome without the prominent electric in the chorus (correcting my previous comment; there is clean electric guitar, but it's mixed very low and the added acoustic is mixed higher).


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 22:17 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Everyone is going nuts for "All The Pretty Girls".

But...am I the only one who isn't too jazzed about it? I'm sad because I want to be. I want to love it. I mean, I like it.

It feels so "Darkness by numbers", if that makes sense? It feels too...typical.

It just doesn't excite me like the singles off the last record did. Those songs took chances yet still sounded like them.

I don't know. I feel like if I say this anywhere but here I'll be torn apart. I think the rest of the album just annihilates this single, from what I can tell.

Anywho, anyone agree? Darkness-by-numbers song?


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 23:15 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 378
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 02:22
I know what you mean C-L, and that's one reason why I've always loved this place as it is one of the few bastions where us fans still maintain the ability to be constructive and honest without being flamed by internet keyboard warriors. Every opinion is valid whether some agree or not...that's what opinions are about after all.

I also know what you mean about the 'safe' feel of the single. I like it but it's pretty standard fodder (no pun intended). But what I would say is that I felt almost exactly the same about 'Nothin's Gonna Stop Us' as the lead single from HC, yet over time, I have genuinely grown to love that track.

I think ATPG has been selected precisely because it follows a 'safe' structure and is seen somehow as a more 'radio-friendly' wider appeal track. Some of the other tracks are either full of expletives or are very 'choppy' in their arrangements which maybe someone felt wouldn't suit as a first single?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Image


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 05:54 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
Call me crazy, but I'm not a fan of the production, either. The guitars are not prominent enough. On the first four albums - the guitars cracked your ribs; they were in your face. Here, they're too second fiddle in the mixing.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 06:54 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
Totally agreed. ATPG is pretty generic and by the numbers. But it's often true for many bands. They have the idea (or the record company does) that generic songs have the best chances of success as singles.

I was never that crazy about Barbarian (although it's FAR better than ATPG), but Open Fire was a fantastic single choice. Showing that the band is not as one-note as people seem to think, taking chances and doing it successfully, with great melodies and an overall cohesive effort that sounds like they could have been doing songs in this style for years. I think it could have been a breakout hit with better promotion.

Darkness Dave wrote:
I think ATPG has been selected precisely because it follows a 'safe' structure and is seen somehow as a more 'radio-friendly' wider appeal track. Some of the other tracks are either full of expletives or are very 'choppy' in their arrangements which maybe someone felt wouldn't suit as a first single?


This is a fair point, too. Not many of the other songs would work as singles. I expect the next one to be Solid Gold.

But I think there is actually one that could be an excellent single, and that is Why Don't The Beautiful Cry? I've found myself singing that infectious chorus ever since the samples leaked. And it's not at all generic or by the numbers. It could be the hit that Open Fire should have been.

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Call me crazy, but I'm not a fan of the production, either. The guitars are not prominent enough. On the first four albums - the guitars cracked your ribs; they were in your face. Here, they're too second fiddle in the mixing.


Also agreed. Guitars are too quiet. I don't mind prominent drums, but the guitars are criminally low in the mix. But, I would also say Hot Cakes suffered from the same issue. PTL was the best mix IMO, with the loudest guitars and very prominent vocals, too (low vocals are a big issue as well. It is very important for commercial success to have prominent vocals because that is the focus of the average listener).


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 07:39 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
PermissionToLand wrote:
Also agreed. Guitars are too quiet. I don't mind prominent drums, but the guitars are criminally low in the mix. But, I would also say Hot Cakes suffered from the same issue. PTL was the best mix IMO, with the loudest guitars and very prominent vocals, too (low vocals are a big issue as well. It is very important for commercial success to have prominent vocals because that is the focus of the average listener).


You are correct about the lack of guitar tone/volume on Hot Cakes - this new album feels like the layered/varied songwriting of Last Of Our Kind, coupled with the lyrical content of Permission to Land all with a Hot Cakes production.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 12:34 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 383
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
While I can see the reasons why someone could feel let down or disappointed by ATPG, I think that it is opposite case for me. Sure, I admit that I wasn't loving it the first few times I listened to it, but after like 5-10 listens, the song really made me excited for the album. On the other hand, I remember that I was quite unsure about Barbarian for quite a long time. I was afraid that I'd dislike LOOK after hearing it. I loved the video for it and I still do but it took a few months to start liking Barbarian. Now I love it. It's interesting how opinions change as time flies by. :)

PermissionToLand wrote:

But I think there is actually one that could be an excellent single, and that is Why Don't The Beautiful Cry? I've found myself singing that infectious chorus ever since the samples leaked. And it's not at all generic or by the numbers. It could be the hit that Open Fire should have been.


Definitely. WDTBC has a very catchy and memorable melody, I remembered it after just one listen while usually it takes me longer to remember the melody well.

I honestly don't know what other song I would choose as a single (if we expect 3 singles in total). Maybe JPOL, BOH or SG... It feels like LOOK had way more potential singles, doesn't it? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 04:43 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
I think we may also be putting LOOK on too much of a pedestal. It still suffered from filler (Hammer and Tongs, title song, Wheels of the Machine and Sarah O Sarah), and also had some silly lyrics just like every album (Mudslide, Roaring Waters). In reality, I don't think there's anything totally beyond the pale for them with Pinewood Smile, it's pushing the boundaries somewhat, as LOOK did, just in a different direction.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 08:44 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
PermissionToLand wrote:
I think we may also be putting LOOK on too much of a pedestal. It still suffered from filler (Hammer and Tongs, title song, Wheels of the Machine and Sarah O Sarah), and also had some silly lyrics just like every album (Mudslide, Roaring Waters)


I don't find those songs to be filler or anywhere close (particularly the first two). As for silly lyrics, the ones you cited are tongue in cheek - not comedic. There's a difference there and I think Pinewood Smile crossed into the comedic territory, a style of which I'm less of a fan of. Especially if it's done after what can be construed as a progression.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 12:49 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 383
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
PermissionToLand wrote:
I think we may also be putting LOOK on too much of a pedestal. It still suffered from filler (Hammer and Tongs, title song, Wheels of the Machine and Sarah O Sarah), and also had some silly lyrics just like every album (Mudslide, Roaring Waters). In reality, I don't think there's anything totally beyond the pale for them with Pinewood Smile, it's pushing the boundaries somewhat, as LOOK did, just in a different direction.


And here comes another proof that we all have different tastes. ;) I say this because I love Wheels of the Machine, it's one of my favorite songs by TD ever, and I really like SOS too. HAT isn't really my cup of tea but I think that it is cute song and I know that at least one person here on this forum loves it (from what I remember from LOOK discussions). I agree that the title track is a bit generic although I usually enjoy it.

And when it comes to Mudslide and RW, I always thought that there lyrics are great, although in different ways.

I think that Hot Cakes is the album by TD which suffers from fillers the most. In fact, when I think about it, almost all the songs on it seem a bit filler-ish... :(


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 16:09 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 304
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 21:49
Location: Luton
Wheels Of The Machine is my favourite song on that album by a mile. Filler? NONSENSE. Roaring Waters and Mudslide should have been dropped for Messenger and Million Dollar Strong, The live version of Hammer and Tongs was so much better than the recorded version.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 16:35 
Darkling
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 383
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 13:22
Pilgey wrote:
Roaring Waters and Mudslide should have been dropped for Messenger and Million Dollar Strong,


No, just no. I wouldn't mind Million Dollar Strong sneaking on LOOK's standard edition though...


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 22:06 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:
I think we may also be putting LOOK on too much of a pedestal. It still suffered from filler (Hammer and Tongs, title song, Wheels of the Machine and Sarah O Sarah), and also had some silly lyrics just like every album (Mudslide, Roaring Waters)


I don't find those songs to be filler or anywhere close (particularly the first two). As for silly lyrics, the ones you cited are tongue in cheek - not comedic. There's a difference there and I think Pinewood Smile crossed into the comedic territory, a style of which I'm less of a fan of. Especially if it's done after what can be construed as a progression.


... huh? Tongue in cheek literally means comedic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

In Roaring Waters, he emphasizes "POOP" in "poop decks". I don't see how that's any more subtle than Southern Trains.

Pilgey wrote:
Wheels Of The Machine is my favourite song on that album by a mile. Filler? NONSENSE. Roaring Waters and Mudslide should have been dropped for Messenger and Million Dollar Strong, The live version of Hammer and Tongs was so much better than the recorded version.


I... I don't even know how to respond to this. :?

That's like saying Ringo was your favorite Beatle...


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 00:48 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
PermissionToLand wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:
I think we may also be putting LOOK on too much of a pedestal. It still suffered from filler (Hammer and Tongs, title song, Wheels of the Machine and Sarah O Sarah), and also had some silly lyrics just like every album (Mudslide, Roaring Waters)


I don't find those songs to be filler or anywhere close (particularly the first two). As for silly lyrics, the ones you cited are tongue in cheek - not comedic. There's a difference there and I think Pinewood Smile crossed into the comedic territory, a style of which I'm less of a fan of. Especially if it's done after what can be construed as a progression.


... huh? Tongue in cheek literally means comedic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

In Roaring Waters, he emphasizes "POOP" in "poop decks". I don't see how that's any more subtle than Southern Trains.


Tongue in cheek is meant to be humorous. A wink and nod - not downright LOL-type stuff. There's a difference between trying to crack a smirk and trying to get someone laughing.

Wait, you don't see how writing "poop deck" is more subtle than "There are fucking assholes everywhere - I can smell the stenches in the air"?

One is a subtle bit of silliness that you might not even notice - the other is hitting you on the head with a hammer.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 08:04 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
Concrete-Lion wrote:
Tongue in cheek is meant to be humorous. A wink and nod - not downright LOL-type stuff. There's a difference between trying to crack a smirk and trying to get someone laughing.

Wait, you don't see how writing "poop deck" is more subtle than "There are fucking assholes everywhere - I can smell the stenches in the air"?

One is a subtle bit of silliness that you might not even notice - the other is hitting you on the head with a hammer.


You're really trying way too hard to push this narrative. You completely ignored the fact that Justin emphasizes the word "poop", which is about as juvenile and heavy handed as it gets. Also, the lyric is "I can smell their sad shit in the air", not that it matters because either way it's clearly nowhere near as blunt as yelling "POOP!"


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 08:13 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
PermissionToLand wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:
Tongue in cheek is meant to be humorous. A wink and nod - not downright LOL-type stuff. There's a difference between trying to crack a smirk and trying to get someone laughing.

Wait, you don't see how writing "poop deck" is more subtle than "There are fucking assholes everywhere - I can smell the stenches in the air"?

One is a subtle bit of silliness that you might not even notice - the other is hitting you on the head with a hammer.


You're really trying way too hard to push this narrative. You completely ignored the fact that Justin emphasizes the word "poop", which is about as juvenile and heavy handed as it gets. Also, the lyric is "I can smell their sad shit in the air", not that it matters because either way it's clearly nowhere near as blunt as yelling "POOP!"


I never really noticed "poop deck".

Like I said, one is barely subtle. The other is a hammer.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 04:26 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:
Tongue in cheek is meant to be humorous. A wink and nod - not downright LOL-type stuff. There's a difference between trying to crack a smirk and trying to get someone laughing.

Wait, you don't see how writing "poop deck" is more subtle than "There are fucking assholes everywhere - I can smell the stenches in the air"?

One is a subtle bit of silliness that you might not even notice - the other is hitting you on the head with a hammer.


You're really trying way too hard to push this narrative. You completely ignored the fact that Justin emphasizes the word "poop", which is about as juvenile and heavy handed as it gets. Also, the lyric is "I can smell their sad shit in the air", not that it matters because either way it's clearly nowhere near as blunt as yelling "POOP!"


I never really noticed "poop deck".

Like I said, one is barely subtle. The other is a hammer.


Okay, at this point, you're clearly trolling. He might as well have hit you over the head with a "poop" hammer in that song and you claim you didn't even notice it? Yeah, you're not fooling anyone.

https://youtu.be/E8thWJXuEBw?t=3m49s


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 06:19 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 142
Joined: 28 May 2015, 20:02
PermissionToLand wrote:
Okay, at this point, you're clearly trolling. He might as well have hit you over the head with a "poop" hammer in that song and you claim you didn't even notice it? Yeah, you're not fooling anyone.


Wow, touchy much? Anyone with a brain would agree one example is far more obvious/extreme.

Look, you obviously can't handle any critique of this new material. I'll leave you be in that little world.


Top
 Profile  
 

  Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 01:21 
Darkling
Offline

Posts: 70
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 21:11
Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:
Okay, at this point, you're clearly trolling. He might as well have hit you over the head with a "poop" hammer in that song and you claim you didn't even notice it? Yeah, you're not fooling anyone.


Wow, touchy much? Anyone with a brain would agree one example is far more obvious/extreme.

Look, you obviously can't handle any critique of this new material. I'll leave you be in that little world.


Ah, the classic "you're emotional!" strawman that adds nothing whatsoever but juvenile ridicule.

Yes, and anyone with a brain would agree that yelling "POOP!" is more juvenile than using adult swears like "fuck".

Again, you're clearly trolling now because nobody could seriously act so childish over something so small. Ironically, it seems to be you who is getting so "touchy" over somebody contradicting you that you'd resort to juvenile insults and making claims that are so ludicrous as to engender disbelief.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Style by website design web, pozycjonowanie seo pozycjonowanie optymalizacja
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group