All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 20:47 
Darkling

Pretty sure Rufus is doing a harmony with Justin during most of why don't the beautiful cry too? X

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 20:56 
Darkling

that's something that I like. It's quite interesting to hear the rest of the guys singing. C'mon Dan, you need to sing one song too, one day. I love Second Fiddle for that. Conquerors is interesting too, not my fab tune but interesting to hear frankie singing.

And, yes, I don't like the cover. Don't like the fact that this is the first ever release by the band without the darkness classic logo. Something is changing? Maybe a new era is coming?

About the quality of the music, I will not do it any statement now, I preefer to hear the whole album. All the pretty Girls sounds good for me, it start to growing on me after some listens, not his best tune, but quite good.

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 22:57 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
Based on the 20 minutes of the album that I have heard - I love most everything but I also have a few bones to pick. Which already puts it at a step down from the last record.

No, the issues I have won't be fixed by the full versions.

I feel like lyrically, it's such a step down from Last Of Our Kind. Every song lyrically is trying to be goofy, funny or profane with this new album. Yes, it's like the first album in that sense - but they've grown since then.

Last Of Our Kind had more serious, grounded lyrics with tongue in cheek bits that made it fun here and there. They'd matured. This...well, an example being that there's one cool bit musically but it's bogged down because the lyrics are literally "There are fucking assholes everywhere. I can smell their stenches in the air."

Even the chorus of "Solid Gold" is "We're never gonna stop shitting out solid gold". Really?

There wasn't anything like that on Last Of Our Kind. And I was happy about that. I like some tongue in cheek humor - but this is more Steel Panther than Darkness at this point...

Can we get a Kickstarter going for new album art, too?

I think you make a fair point. The lyrics definitely were more serious on LOOK, although I hadn't thought of it until now.

In the case of Southern Trains, Japanese Prisoner and Solid Gold, I think it works because, simply enough, they're funny enough to get away with it (and the music is good, as well). I mean, Southern Trains wears it on it's sleeve (aka the chorus) and in that sense it reminds me of Norm Macdonald's humor, where he basically hits you over the head with the joke, which is often funnier than the joke itself. For example, he might say "I bet your mother was out late last night.

... Get it? Because she's a whore!"

Solid Gold was clearly a joke track from the start IMO. The music has less to back it up than the other two, so the hilariously egotistical lyrics make up for it. I think maybe some people are missing that the lyrics are purposely ridiculous and egotistical for comedic effect.

But also, I would definitely argue Japanese Prisoner has it's serious moment in the chorus. When he sings "All the other jailbirds on E wing cry when I sing", it feels totally heartfelt and genuine.

Also, Why Don't the Beautiful Cry sounds serious (and wonderful) from what we've heard. Buccaneers seems mostly serious, as do Lay With Me Barbara, I Wish I Was in Heaven, and maybe Seagulls?

As far as the album art, I hated it at first, but it is growing on me.

Luke wrote:
But equally I don't think Solid Gold is as bad as Every Inch! "Every man, woman and child wants to... suck my cock!" and people go mad for that! So I can't agree unfortunately (FWIW I don't like EIOY, I think it's utter bollocks)

And as for the album artwork? Well! I completely agree there! I think the album title and the cover art are the worst they've ever done!

We had 4 excellent titles and covers and now this shit...

Totally agreed on Every Inch. That has no decent music to back up the silly lyrics.

But I wouldn't say 4 excellent titles and covers. Hot Cakes was a lame title and the album cover was just lazy, IMO. LOOK is a bit cliche as a title and I was never crazy about the baby thing, but it was a pretty good cover. The first two were the only ones I'd call excellent.

Concrete-Lion wrote:
You left out Last Of Our Kind when talking about doing less silly lyrics - which was my point. They'd come full circle. I think they can do serious or at least cool-style lyrics with a hint of tongue in cheek when they want to. It's about balance and they'd mastered that. To revert to going even farther into silliness than even the debut album feels like a step backwards, in my opinion. As I said, comes across more as Steel Panther-ish than Darkness and that's not a good thing, for me.

And I love the title Pinewood Smile, actually.

But I don't get the album art. At all. And some say it's not a big deal - but yet, they praise album art when it's good. So if it can be praised, it can be chastised as well. Fair game.

The Darkness are all about '70s style rock and the format of the old days. 10 songs, Side A/B and cover art that tries to have a concept.

It feels like they abandoned that. It's a cheap Photoshop attempt that went bad. There's no cohesion with this cover. I have a signed poster with the first four albums on it along with a large band logo. I was looking forward to printing out a new poster for them to sign with this new album cover - now...not so much.

If this same cover was painted - it would be 10x better. And still not be great, but. Last Of Our Kind is one of my favorite covers ever so a follow up would be hard for me, but still - at least try.

To think, I have the CD, vinyl and cassette of this on the way I have to look at.
:P :shock:

They even left their iconic logo off!

Again, I think you make a fair point. Certainly, they would have an easier time commercially if their lyrics were more serious and less profane. That's why I was surprised Open Fire didn't get more attention than it did (I blame shitty rock stations that only play 30+ year old hits from household names). Something like Solid Gold would not have the same potential as a single.

What bothered me most about the cover when I first saw it, was how greasy his facial hair looks. :shock:

That's a good point as well, that it would look much better painted.

Nerevanin wrote:
I admit that I don't get what they meant with this cover. I get why it's a smile but that's where my understanding ends. I don't see the point of the band members. And, as other people already pointed out, the absence of the iconic logo is worrying, to say the least. If they saw a smile as a necessary motif for the album art, there are tons of other possibilities how to realize this. Maybe they tried to be very vocal about not taking themselves serious but I don't think this is the best way to do this. I made an alternative cover in 5 minutes, so please don't mind the graphics please. It's very simple but I think that it captures the mood quite well. Plus it would be a kind of reference to The Rolling Stones' logo. Btw, I'm not looking for praise, I just wanted to share an idea how the cover could look while respecting some of the original features.

https://ibb.co/m2PLjk

I also think that an album cover like this is a bad marketing choice. The cover is arguably rather off-putting so it won't make anyone buy the album.

Hmm, you know, the classic logo could be pretty easily shaped into a smile. That would have been an interesting direction. Maybe it comprises the teeth, or it could be attached to the teeth by braces (a nod to Justin's braces in 2015).

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 23:05 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
I'd like to share my opinions on the lyrics and the cover, if you don't mind.

I admit that I don't get what they meant with this cover. I get why it's a smile but that's where my understanding ends. I don't see the point of the band members. And, as other people already pointed out, the absence of the iconic logo is worrying, to say the least. If they saw a smile as a necessary motif for the album art, there are tons of other possibilities how to realize this. Maybe they tried to be very vocal about not taking themselves serious but I don't think this is the best way to do this. I made an alternative cover in 5 minutes, so please don't mind the graphics please. It's very simple but I think that it captures the mood quite well. Plus it would be a kind of reference to The Rolling Stones' logo. Btw, I'm not looking for praise, I just wanted to share an idea how the cover could look while respecting some of the original features.

I honestly think this is a bit of Rufus' influence with his presence causing some changes.

The whole concept could've been done ten times better as an illustration. Or just scrap the concept. Or get rid of the band members.

I do think it's offputting to anyone looking to pick it up. Hell, it's a guaranteed buy from me and even I'm offput.
:lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 23:07 
Darkling

brainstorm wrote:
As far as the cover is concerned, I was bitterly disappointed when I saw it after having worked so hard on the LOOK cover (and the rest of that campaign), however we haven't seen everything yet, so it might end up making sense once all the videos come out and the campaign is in full swing.

Saying that, I've been bitterly disappointed with all of their digital content since early last year. Socials are amateur, as are any graphics they output, I know which person on the team is outputting what, it has got that bad as their is no continuity, the only thing they're doing right in this arena is the slightly increased video activity from Frankie. It's the same with them recycling other bits from the 2015 campaign, this messengers thing was a bad way of monetising TDA and it doesn't appear to have worked. All I have heard from the fans (the non deluded ones anyway) is negative.

I sadly get what you're saying. A lot of the stuff currently is leftover or reused assets from 2015, which did rock, by the way. I just worry they're losing money thus are going even cheaper.

They deserve better graphics and album art.

What were the negative things you heard from fans regarding the Messengers thing? I haven't been in touch with the fanbase regarding that.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 02:44 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
I honestly think this is a bit of Rufus' influence with his presence causing some changes.

You know, I was just thinking that maybe because Justin really wants Rufus to stay with them, he's trying to make it as fun as possible. :?:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 06:40 
Darkling

Is it just me or the band has been taken some not so good decision with the singles selection?

This take me to the Hot Cakes days, I thought "I Can't Believe It's Not Love" had some potential also "Concrete" and "Cannonball" (which I think they recorded a not-so-good version compared to the live version)

In LOOK, Million Dollar Strong could be into the official tracklist of the album

2015-10-07 – Plaza Condesa, Mexico City

Facebook.com/TheDarknessLatino

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 10:17 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
Pretty sure Rufus is doing a harmony with Justin during most of why don't the beautiful cry too? X

It's possible. And I am not sure but maybe Rufus "talks" on Rock In Space in that alien voice. Honestly, I'm not sure which one of guys it is.

PermissionToLand wrote:
Hmm, you know, the classic logo could be pretty easily shaped into a smile. That would have been an interesting direction. Maybe it comprises the teeth, or it could be attached to the teeth by braces (a nod to Justin's braces in 2015).

Yeah, I was think about the logo being in the mouth instead of teeth. Or that there migth be a reflection of the logo on the teeth, a bit like on the baby's glasses in LOOK. My graphic skills aren't good enough for it though.

Your idea about the logo being shaped like a smile is interesting, I like it! :)

Concrete-Lion wrote:

I do think it's offputting to anyone looking to pick it up. Hell, it's a guaranteed buy from me and even I'm offput.
:lol:

Yeah, it's clear that fans will buy it regardless of the cover. I meant "normal" people. Like, they might see the album on shelf in a store. The cover will probably get some attention because of the colours etc but will it make people buy the album? I don't know. Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill... Maybe people don't care about covers at all.

Concrete-Lion wrote:
What were the negative things you heard from fans regarding the Messengers thing? I haven't been in touch with the fanbase regarding that.

What was even this Messanger thing?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 12:58 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
Pilgey wrote:

It's possible. And I am not sure but maybe Rufus "talks" on Rock In Space in that alien voice. Honestly, I'm not sure which one of guys it is.

I think that's Dan.

2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 13:23 
Darkling

Dan is the Dalek

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 14:59 
Darkling

Isn't it strange?.....couldn't resist the other night, although I told myself not to, and I listened to 'the snippets' all the way through twice. Wasn't immediately blown away I must admit and afterwards I thought to myself, well, good job I did listen before my preorders dropped through my letterbox because this collection of songs is gonna take me a while to digest and 'get into' this time around.

Then today I listened to them once through again, making it the third time in total...and it now sounds an awful lot better to me. Quirky, a bit too trebley in some places, but I'm starting to 'absorb' them now.

As for this cover, well, me too....not a fan, but I wonder whether it's meant to somehow look 'tacky' or 'cheap' in appearance because that in itself, conveys the 'Pinewood Smile' angle and not the 'Hollywood Smile' i.e. a bit plastic?

My biggest problem is defo the missing classic logo but with that font they've used on this one (like something from the eighties), I'm hoping that's also been done on purpose just to help convey the 'tacky' style too.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 20:53 
Darkling

Listening again and again cannot wait for the full blown trip.... :D

Ragman1960...

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 01:42 
Darkling

Darkness Dave wrote:
Isn't it strange?.....couldn't resist the other night, although I told myself not to, and I listened to 'the snippets' all the way through twice. Wasn't immediately blown away I must admit and afterwards I thought to myself, well, good job I did listen before my preorders dropped through my letterbox because this collection of songs is gonna take me a while to digest and 'get into' this time around.

Then today I listened to them once through again, making it the third time in total...and it now sounds an awful lot better to me. Quirky, a bit too trebley in some places, but I'm starting to 'absorb' them now.

One thing that makes me scratch my head is on the Darkness Facebook group, many are touting that this album "slays" Last Of Our Kind or is ten times better.

1.) The album isn't even fully out.
2.) No.

I've not seen anyone be harsh with Last Of Our Kind until this past day or two. I hate the mentality of knocking down the previous album to prop up the new one.

I think a bit of this album does sound more cookie cutter Darkness than the previous record, which took more chances and tried to mature/evolve their sound.

I think this new record sounds great - but so far, not better than the last record. That one nailed balance, cohesion, experimentation and classic Darkness all in one album - with their best album cover, to boot.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 03:39 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
I've not seen anyone be harsh with Last Of Our Kind until this past day or two. I hate the mentality of knocking down the previous album to prop up the new one.

I think a bit of this album does sound more cookie cutter Darkness than the previous record, which took more chances and tried to mature/evolve their sound.

I think this new record sounds great - but so far, not better than the last record. That one nailed balance, cohesion, experimentation and classic Darkness all in one album - with their best album cover, to boot.

People are like that about everything, they have to put something else down to build up what they like.

But LOOK is not their best album cover. PTL is a literal work of art. The color palette, the spatial layout, the sense of scale and depth, all come together to make a truly excellent piece that can stand on it's own as art, even without the music or the band.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 06:49 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
But LOOK is not their best album cover. PTL is a literal work of art. The color palette, the spatial layout, the sense of scale and depth, all come together to make a truly excellent piece that can stand on it's own as art, even without the music or the band.

Nah, I can't agree there.

Permission To Land has a good cover and it's leaps and bounds better than Pinewood Smile. Hell, anything is.

But I think just about every other Darkness cover is better than Permission's. One Way Ticket has amazing colors and a more detailed design with a great theme. The Devil in the smoke? Awesome. Hot Cakes looks like a more sultry album cover that The Cars could have. It's beautifully painted with a killer font.

And Last Of Our Kind - holy shit! The colors are so vibrant. The mix of purples, greens and the design is flawless, especially in execution. Couple that with little easter eggs such as the band's faces tattooed on the fingers like Justin has on his for Queen and other little nuances, it's brilliant.

It's a striking cover. Permission To Land's is good but it's not one I could stare at like Last Of Our Kind's. It's one of my favorite album covers ever.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 10:17 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:

Nah, I can't agree there.

Permission To Land has a good cover and it's leaps and bounds better than Pinewood Smile. Hell, anything is.

But I think just about every other Darkness cover is better than Permission's. One Way Ticket has amazing colors and a more detailed design with a great theme. The Devil in the smoke? Awesome. Hot Cakes looks like a more sultry album cover that The Cars could have. It's beautifully painted with a killer font.

And Last Of Our Kind - holy shit! The colors are so vibrant. The mix of purples, greens and the design is flawless, especially in execution. Couple that with little easter eggs such as the band's faces tattooed on the fingers like Justin has on his for Queen and other little nuances, it's brilliant.

It's a striking cover. Permission To Land's is good but it's not one I could stare at like Last Of Our Kind's. It's one of my favorite album covers ever.

The reason I like the "Hot Cakes" album cover is because it was painted. If it wasn't painted, it would probably have been shit. Plus the "dripping syrup" font idea they applied to the logo on some of their stage banners, merchandise etc... it's really cool and it's effective.

The reason I like "Last of Our Kind"'s cover is because there's heaps of hidden little bits and pieces in it that you have to look really closely to find.

And that's the same with "One Way Ticket...", there's heaps of really small details that are impressive if you study it close-up.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 10:22 
Darkling

I would like to interject and say although Permission To Pandas cover is more simple than the ones that followed it is by far my favourite album cover by a mile. Thanks xx

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 11:51 
Darkling

I suppose that it's an unpopular opinion but I think that my favorite album cover by TD is Hot Cakes. Honestly, the fan made version with bears instead of girls on the pancakes was perfect.

LOOK is great because there are tiny small details such as the TD heads tattoed on the baby's knuckles, but overall I'm not that much into a bald baby dude something.

OWTTHAB gives me slight "look how cool we are!" vibes but I like the progression from heaven to hell and I absolutely love how the angels change into doves which change into ravens which change into bats. That's amazing.

I admit that I've never really like PTL's cover...

Concrete-Lion wrote:
One thing that makes me scratch my head is on the Darkness Facebook group, many are touting that this album "slays" Last Of Our Kind or is ten times better.

2.) No.

Pinewood Smile's snippets might be "glamoured" in some people's eyes because it's new music and they are excited. I personally really like it and so far it sounds really great imo. BUT, to disregard such a great album as LOOK and say that it sucks is just delusional. You may like PS better than LOOK and there's nothing wrong with that but you can't simply label an album as "bad" overnight just because a new album is on the way.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 15:24 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:

2.) No.

Agree. Loved LOOK and hate these 'new' plastic social media fans that try and somehow act like the ultimate 'uber superfans' or something. I'm an old fart who's been following this band from 2003 (even through the years when they were on hiatus) and I'm not on Facepalm or Twatter or in the Darkness Barmy...but I consider myself a staunch honest fan.

As I've said....didn't much fancy what I heard straight off for this one tbh...but I always take a while to digest tracks when I hear them anyway to be fair...but come on you kiddie-winks on the interwebs, let's be honest with ourselves shall we?....it's not always mandatory for immediate ass-licking sychophant behaviour when a band you like puts out new material. I often wonder whether TD's 'Sounds from the Toilet' would also signal an immediate disregard for the band's previous releases from these people. Utterly ridiculous.

Same people went mental over Hot Cakes and then when LOOK arrived, started slating HC because it was too 'lightweight' and 'fluffy' in comparison. Personally, I like all their albums but for different reasons and to suit my own different mood swings.

First 4 albums covers are artworks. This 5th is cut and paste. That's one major difference and one that I hope has only been done this time around in order to give it the intended tacky look to suit the sentiments of what 'Pinewood Smile' means. God forbid that it's actually been done only to satisfy these sychophantic social media types that I've mentioned. :(

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 08:57 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:

The FB group is now a space just to post pictures of the band... There's no serious debate about the "important" things of the band. People just share whatever JH post on instagram or things like that, which it's ok, but in the early days of the group, we used to debate the whole time about musical things, new sound of the band, songs, lyrics, thoughts and that kind of things

2015-10-07 – Plaza Condesa, Mexico City

Facebook.com/TheDarknessLatino

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next