All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 20:51 

PermissionToLand wrote:
Agreed, and while this has been true of all the reunion albums, it figures this time, since it was produced by the Foo Fighters' producer, and their guitar sounds are always too polished and not prominent enough in the mix. He clearly mixes to be radio-friendly, not for rock lovers. IDK why they don't just go back to Pedro Ferriera.

I also like Messenger. Especially the bridge ("So I reach into the flame and pluck from the embers, a smoldering sword") and the chorus outro ("Messenger run like the wind!"). Criticisms: the main riff is a bit poppy and the "run my messenger" staggered part can be a bit grating.

I don't consider it to be true for LOoK. Found it very heavy and fulfilling in the heavy sense. Yeah, that definitely makes sense as to why it sounds like it does. Pity. If Dan had produced it like he did with LOoK (although I can understand not doing that again with what's involved) then I'm sure it would fulfil the amazing potential it has to sound far better in terms of depth and heaviness. Totally agree, you summed it up perfectly - radio friendly and not for rock lovers. Surprises me that TD were happy with that sound really.

Funny enough I even like the aspects of Messenger that you find to be criticisms but appreciate your message and the clarifying of your opinion on the song overall. :)

remike wrote:

SOUTHERN TRAINS IS THE BEST SONG SINCE THE REUNION! HANDS DOWN!
What a tune! Why isn't this the first single for goodness sake?! It's catchy, the lyrics are hilarious, it sounds fresh and lively. 10/10

At the same time, ATPG feels forced, overproduced and just not so very interesting. I wouldn't mind it somewhere in the middle of the album, but why make it the album opener and the lead single? 6/10

I also need to complain about production of Japanese Prisoners O Love. It just doesn't sound as good as live version. Some background vocals seem unnecessary, if not off putting (middle 8). It's still a great song though. Perhaps I just need to get used to the new arrangement, because I heard the live version too many times? 8/10

Solid Gold studio version is way too slooooooow. I like the song, but prefer the tempo from live recordings 6/10

I only listened to snippets of 6 songs previously performed live and I'm leaving the remaining 8 for October. However, based on what I heard so far, I already know this album will be better than Hot Cakes.

Loving the enthusiasm for Southern Trains and think it's f**king epic just like you do. Think you could be right on best since the reunion but it's tough to call. I'm not sure how to judge, haha. Don't think any of the HC songs come into it apart from possibly Concrete. Would definitely be a good choice as first single though but maybe risky for legal reasons? :P Haha!

I really like JPOL having relistened again. I liked it first time round but more now I've listened again. I think your opinion on it will warm more. Although I can understand the preference for how much better it sounded live. Definitely agree the production could have made it sound stronger and heavier and louder for the music in balance with the vocals rather than the Pop-ish/radio-ish sound to it as PermissionToLand alluded to.

I think Solid Gold actually is at the right speed for the sound they're going for there and they hit the nail right on the head there

I don't think ATPG sounds forced - at first I wasn't keen but very much warming to it with every additional listen. It reminds me of the The Horn and I love both. Agreed it's maybe not ideal for opener and lead single.

Definitely going to be better than Hot Cakes - not too hard to achieve that. HC sounded like a forced, rushed album for the sake of releasing a reunion album to make us happy. It's my least favoured album and I don't miss listening to it really. I just clinged to it at the time as some much valued new material.

TavoHawkins wrote:
Solid Gold and Rack of Glam are to slow in my opinion, but they both sound great.

I really like Why don't the beautiful cry and Lay Down With Me, Barbara

I tried to not listen anything but I'm a weak man. Can't wait to the release.

Completely agree Tavo on WDTBC? and LDWMB. Didn't think I would like them but they really surprised me with the unexpected sound to them and the lyrics!

With Solid Gold and Rack of Glam I actually think the speed of them is perfect for the sound they're going for in both songs and to let you digest what they're singing and the impact of how strongly they're intending the lyrics to come across.

Luke wrote:
All the people having a whinge about All The Pretty Girls! Lighten up!

There's a reason it was done...

The album title is hidden in the song.

Plus, uh, it's a good song!

And since when were TD ever known for "playing by the book" anyway?

Well said Luke!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 23:27 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
I'll try my best not to listen to the snippets too much before the album comes but I fear that this fight is already lost... :oops:

And I agree with Luke that ATPG is a good song, it's definitely no rubbish, even though there are better songs on the album! (Although I don't agree with him at all that Conquerors is a bad song).

PermissionToLand wrote:
I Wish I Was in Heaven: Very interesting song. Quite a juxtaposition of the morbid tone of the verses and the seemingly jubilant tone of the chorus. Some of the Chorus reminds me of Iron Maiden's "Moonchild".

I've noticed this too. I can't wait to read the full lyrics of this song, the difference in mood between the verses and the chorus is really interesting.

remike wrote:
I only listened to snippets of 6 songs previously performed live and I'm leaving the remaining 8 for October. However, based on what I heard so far, I already know this album will be better than Hot Cakes.

I think that it's clear that Pinewood Smile will be better than Hot Cakes by lightyears. It might be caused simply by my excitement but I dare to say that PS might be at least on par with LOOK.

darknessrback! wrote:
Would just really love to get a better idea of the songs though -would anyone be so kind as to compare every song to a darkness song so I can get a bit more of a feel as to what they all are?

I'm really bad at comparing and explaining songs but I'll try my best. I made a few comparisons to other artists' songs in my "opinions post" above but looking at TD's discography, I really don't know what to compare the new songs to... Soundwise, the closest album to them is LOOK, I think, especially songs like Mudslide and Million Dollar Strong (without the horns), but Pinewood Smile seems to me very different in structure (not the right word) of songs, they are very unpredictable - like, you have an uptempo part with heavy guitars and Justin's wailing and suddenly, without a warning, it changes completely to a ballad-like arrangement with soft and warm Justin's vocals. The album sounds very fresh, very youthful. And as someone already said, vocals are often layered. I hope this description created at least something tiny in your imagination. :oops:

EDIT: Listening to the snippets again, I suppose that the chorus and the instrumental part between chorus and next verse of Buccaneers of Hispaniola can be compared to Roaring Waters. The verses are quite different though.

thanks for your attempt Nerevanin !

I tried to do this in the TDA forum and it seemed to really upset people ! so I just deleted the post.

The album sounds very interesting with the mid-song change etc.

Funnily enough LOOK is my least favourite album. Didnt like it at all so hopefully I like this better....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 06:41 
Darkling

darknessrback! wrote:
Would just really love to get a better idea of the songs though -would anyone be so kind as to compare every song to a darkness song so I can get a bit more of a feel as to what they all are?

ATPG - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us
Buccaneers - Full Moon (Evening of Lies)
Solid Gold - Bareback
Southern Trains - Nothing I can think of...
Why Don't the Beautiful Cry? & Lay With Me Barbara - I Love You 5 Times (but much much better)
Japanese Prisoner - Concrete, maybe?
I wish I was in Heaven - Nothing by TD but Iron Maiden's Heaven Can Wait (got the song wrong in my last post). Seriously, look it up.
Happiness - nothing by TD. Maybe Foo Fighters, but a pretty poppy chorus I'd expect from a legit pop band, frankly.
Stampede of Love - God, it sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on the song it reminds me of. Not a TD song I'm thinking of.
Uniball - I Have Always Had the Blues but more vintage rock. In my top picks, definitely.

ConcreteDarkling wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:
Agreed, and while this has been true of all the reunion albums, it figures this time, since it was produced by the Foo Fighters' producer, and their guitar sounds are always too polished and not prominent enough in the mix. He clearly mixes to be radio-friendly, not for rock lovers. IDK why they don't just go back to Pedro Ferriera.

I also like Messenger. Especially the bridge ("So I reach into the flame and pluck from the embers, a smoldering sword") and the chorus outro ("Messenger run like the wind!"). Criticisms: the main riff is a bit poppy and the "run my messenger" staggered part can be a bit grating.

I don't consider it to be true for LOoK. Found it very heavy and fulfilling in the heavy sense. Yeah, that definitely makes sense as to why it sounds like it does. Pity. If Dan had produced it like he did with LOoK (although I can understand not doing that again with what's involved) then I'm sure it would fulfil the amazing potential it has to sound far better in terms of depth and heaviness. Totally agree, you summed it up perfectly - radio friendly and not for rock lovers. Surprises me that TD were happy with that sound really.

Funny enough I even like the aspects of Messenger that you find to be criticisms but appreciate your message and the clarifying of your opinion on the song overall. :)

Actually, you're right. LOOK was probably the best production since PTL. Still not as guitar heavy as PTL, but a very evenhanded mix, at least. Definitely better than Pinewood from what I've heard. I was surprised they were happy with Hot Cakes after how well produced the first two albums, and even their side projects were.

Luke wrote:
All the people having a whinge about All The Pretty Girls! Lighten up!

There's a reason it was done... The album title is hidden in the song. Plus, uh, it's a good song!

And since when were TD ever known for "playing by the book" anyway?

Um, have you heard Hot Cakes? Pretty much by the book except Concrete. And ATPG is like the definition of by the book. In what way is that daring or outside the box?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 09:35 
Darkling

Apparently the full album has leaked

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 10:13 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:

I'm searching on the net, but nothing, apart from some junk webpages, if somebody have any clue of how to download, please, tell me

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 15:57 
Darkling

Just wanted to say that I can't wait to have all the lyrics for the album. So far it sounds hilarious. I don't know what is better: "All the pretty girls and their mums", "them (?) southern trains, choo, choo!", "lay down with me, Barbara, underneath the candelabrum" (I'm sorry, this rhyme is killing me), "do you love me? - I LOVE YOU!" or "I wish I wasn't ugly on the outside... but I aaaaaaam ugly!" and that's just what I understand. :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 18:48 
Darkling

I really like "All You Pretty Girls" - however, I was let down by it. It wasn't a bombastic, get-you-hyped for the album type single that "Barbarian"/"Open Fire" was. I loved it - but in a different way than I love their bigger songs.

Couple that with what is an atrocious piece of album art that is a slap to all previous covers they've done - and I was worried for this album. (Seriously, though - one of the band's perks is their killer '70s style album art...and we got that).

Worry no more, at least for the content. Those samples were very promising. I'm more stoked than I was before.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 19:03 
Darkling

blackshade wrote:
Pilgey wrote:

I'm searching on the net, but nothing, apart from some junk webpages, if somebody have any clue of how to download, please, tell me

I can't find it either - the fanpage on Facebook keeps saying it's leaked but nobody has coughed up any evidence.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 19:56 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
blackshade wrote:
Pilgey wrote:

I can't find it either - the fanpage on Facebook keeps saying it's leaked but nobody has coughed up any evidence.

Yeah, I looked for it too. I found only one website that offered download but when I tried it, it didn't work...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 21:35 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
Just wanted to say that I can't wait to have all the lyrics for the album. So far it sounds hilarious. I don't know what is better: "All the pretty girls and their mums", "them (?) southern trains, choo, choo!", "lay down with me, Barbara, underneath the candelabrum" (I'm sorry, this rhyme is killing me), "do you love me? - I LOVE YOU!" or "I wish I wasn't ugly on the outside... but I aaaaaaam ugly!" and that's just what I understand. :lol:

I've posted all the lyrics I can make out from the samples here on Genius.com:

https://genius.com/albums/The-darkness/Pinewood-smile

Nerevanin wrote:
Concrete-Lion wrote:
blackshade wrote:

Yeah, I looked for it too. I found only one website that offered download but when I tried it, it didn't work...

BEWARE! 99% of those sites claiming to have leaks are scams and will probably give you a virus. The only trustworthy resource is HasitLeaked.com and they say no.

http://hasitleaked.com/2017/the-darknes ... ood-smile/

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 05:35 
Darkling

I never really thought of using hasitleaked as a source for album news. I did not know The Quireboys were releasing a new album. I saw this as a result of looking at Pinewood Smile on hasitleaked.

I loved their last album.

Anyway, that's slightly OT.

My 2 cents - if you steal the album before official release on October 6, or, after for that matter too, you're a grade a a***hole.

A true fan wouldn't rob the band of their well-deserved reimbursement for their labour of creative works.

Regardless of whether you think it's better than PTL or not...

Regardless of whether you plan to buy the album... it's still a missed sale. Buy multiple copies and give it to your friends. Don't burn it, rip it, strip it, flip it... Just buy it.

Downloading it only hurts you, and the band.

I don't even think the samples on the iTunes Store give enough away to tell if it's going to be a good album.

It gives you a bit of an idea about the vibe of the song but it doesn't really change anything.

The best bits are usually not in the samples.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 08:40 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
My 2 cents - if you steal the album before official release on October 6, or, after for that matter too, you're a grade a a***hole.

A true fan wouldn't rob the band of their well-deserved reimbursement for their labour of creative works.

Regardless of whether you think it's better than PTL or not...

Regardless of whether you plan to buy the album... it's still a missed sale. Buy multiple copies and give it to your friends. Don't burn it, rip it, strip it, flip it... Just buy it.

Downloading it only hurts you, and the band.

I don't even think the samples on the iTunes Store give enough away to tell if it's going to be a good album.

It gives you a bit of an idea about the vibe of the song but it doesn't really change anything.

The best bits are usually not in the samples.

The leaks shouldn't happen in the first place - but the leak itself isn't the killer for the band's revenue, it's the people who will download in lieu of purchasing. That is the absolute a$$-hole-ish thing to do. That's what hurts bands.

I've purchased multiple copies of their albums. Vinyl, CD and now cassette. That's not going to change, here.

If it gets leaked, I won't pretend that I'm not going to want it early.

I'd happily give them another $13 if they'd ask if they knew I had it early.

Very few eager fans will have the willpower to wait until October if they don't have to. I'm not saying it's right or wrong if they're going to listen AND buy. I'm just saying it's inevitable if it leaks. Willpower is tough to come by these days.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 08:43 
Darkling

Based on the 20 minutes of the album that I have heard - I love most everything but I also have a few bones to pick. Which already puts it at a step down from the last record.

No, the issues I have won't be fixed by the full versions.

I feel like lyrically, it's such a step down from Last Of Our Kind. Every song lyrically is trying to be goofy, funny or profane with this new album. Yes, it's like the first album in that sense - but they've grown since then.

Last Of Our Kind had more serious, grounded lyrics with tongue in cheek bits that made it fun here and there. They'd matured. This...well, an example being that there's one cool bit musically but it's bogged down because the lyrics are literally "There are fucking assholes everywhere. I can smell their stenches in the air."

Even the chorus of "Solid Gold" is "We're never gonna stop shitting out solid gold". Really?

There wasn't anything like that on Last Of Our Kind. And I was happy about that. I like some tongue in cheek humor - but this is more Steel Panther than Darkness at this point...

Can we get a Kickstarter going for new album art, too?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 10:00 
Darkling

Concrete-Lion wrote:
I feel like lyrically, it's such a step down from Last Of Our Kind. Every song lyrically is trying to be goofy, funny or profane with this new album. Yes, it's like the first album in that sense - but they've grown since then.

Last Of Our Kind had more serious, grounded lyrics with tongue in cheek bits that made it fun here and there. They'd matured. This...well, an example being that there's one cool bit musically but it's bogged down because the lyrics are literally "There are fucking assholes everywhere. I can smell their stenches in the air."

Even the chorus of "Solid Gold" is "We're never gonna stop shitting out solid gold". Really?

There wasn't anything like that on Last Of Our Kind. And I was happy about that. I like some tongue in cheek humor - but this is more Steel Panther than Darkness at this point...

Can we get a Kickstarter going for new album art, too?

Yes, and no...

To be honest, lyrically, "Solid Gold" reminds me of "Ashamed" from the Hot Leg album "it's only 'cos we watch this shit that they keep on making more of it!"

If that makes sense...

I don't blame the band for writing a song like Solid Gold tbh, it's got an awesome riff and it's clearly anti-record company. Which is fine by me. I think the music industry is total garbage so I'm digging it!

I don't think The Darkness will ever be totally serious lyrically. They did it on a few songs on Hot Cakes and it wasn't good.

But equally I don't think Solid Gold is as bad as Every Inch! "Every man, woman and child wants to... suck my cock!" and people go mad for that! So I can't agree unfortunately (FWIW I don't like EIOY, I think it's utter bollocks)

And as for the album artwork? Well! I completely agree there! I think the album title and the cover art are the worst they've ever done!

We had 4 excellent titles and covers and now this shit...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 10:18 
Darkling

You left out Last Of Our Kind when talking about doing less silly lyrics - which was my point. They'd come full circle. I think they can do serious or at least cool-style lyrics with a hint of tongue in cheek when they want to. It's about balance and they'd mastered that. To revert to going even farther into silliness than even the debut album feels like a step backwards, in my opinion. As I said, comes across more as Steel Panther-ish than Darkness and that's not a good thing, for me.

And I love the title Pinewood Smile, actually.

But I don't get the album art. At all. And some say it's not a big deal - but yet, they praise album art when it's good. So if it can be praised, it can be chastised as well. Fair game.

The Darkness are all about '70s style rock and the format of the old days. 10 songs, Side A/B and cover art that tries to have a concept.

It feels like they abandoned that. It's a cheap Photoshop attempt that went bad. There's no cohesion with this cover. I have a signed poster with the first four albums on it along with a large band logo. I was looking forward to printing out a new poster for them to sign with this new album cover - now...not so much.

If this same cover was painted - it would be 10x better. And still not be great, but. Last Of Our Kind is one of my favorite covers ever so a follow up would be hard for me, but still - at least try.

To think, I have the CD, vinyl and cassette of this on the way I have to look at.
:P :shock:

They even left their iconic logo off!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 11:37 
Darkling

My two cents, for what it's worth.

The damage doesn't come from hardcore fans listening to it, the damage comes from hardcore fans sharing it. No matter what, once they've done that it always ends ups on a torrent site somewhere, then the masses have it. (torrents/download sites/etc etc). That's what hurts the band. The link still being live on here is no doubt where it will start from, I haven't seen any other sources for the 'leak' other than the original Mexican iTunes store.

As far as the cover is concerned, I was bitterly disappointed when I saw it after having worked so hard on the LOOK cover (and the rest of that campaign), however we haven't seen everything yet, so it might end up making sense once all the videos come out and the campaign is in full swing. Saying that, I've been bitterly disappointed with all of their digital content since early last year. Socials are amateur, as are any graphics they output, I know which person on the team is outputting what, it has got that bad as their is no continuity, the only thing they're doing right in this arena is the slightly increased video activity from Frankie. It's the same with them recycling other bits from the 2015 campaign, this messengers thing was a bad way of monetising TDA and it doesn't appear to have worked. All I have heard from the fans (the non deluded ones anyway) is negative.

This is all a shame, because the music, as ever, is world class. I personally can never fault it. Yes I have my preferences, as we all do, and it sometimes takes awhile to sink in, but I always love it. Just a shame its being packaged with shit covered wrapping paper right now, the boys deserve more than that.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 16:30 
Darkling

I'd like to share my opinions on the lyrics and the cover, if you don't mind.

I admit that I don't get what they meant with this cover. I get why it's a smile but that's where my understanding ends. I don't see the point of the band members. And, as other people already pointed out, the absence of the iconic logo is worrying, to say the least. If they saw a smile as a necessary motif for the album art, there are tons of other possibilities how to realize this. Maybe they tried to be very vocal about not taking themselves serious but I don't think this is the best way to do this. I made an alternative cover in 5 minutes, so please don't mind the graphics please. It's very simple but I think that it captures the mood quite well. Plus it would be a kind of reference to The Rolling Stones' logo. Btw, I'm not looking for praise, I just wanted to share an idea how the cover could look while respecting some of the original features.

https://ibb.co/m2PLjk

I also think that an album cover like this is a bad marketing choice. The cover is arguably rather off-putting so it won't make anyone buy the album.

When it comes to the lyrics, I honestly have no problem with them. Lyrics were a part of why I fell in love with TD. It's possible that PS lyrics can be seen as a step back from LOOK lyrics, which were more serious. Maybe the line "we're never gonna stop shitting out solid gold" isn't the most clever line ever but I like it and I enjoy it. The only lyrics that I am not take big fan of is Rock in Space (but I expect the lyrics to be more than just "rock in space" x 10000, so I'll wait for the whole thing to judge it) and Rack of Glam which seem a bit over-the-top to me but I admit that it might be because as a woman, I'm not that much into boobs. ;)

So, in short - maybe the lyrics don't cover as serious matters as LOOK, but I don't think that's some real harm. It's not like the lyrics are completely idiotic. Overall the lyrics remind me slightly of PTL.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 17:41 
Darkling

The leak was a hoax. No one has heard the album yet. Sorry for helping to spread that.

I am loving a large proportion of this album from the snippets.

I am really not fond of the production on the gang vocals on Rack Of Glam, Southern Trains & Solid Gold. For me these songs have been ruined.

Why don't The Beautiful Cry, Lay Down With Me, Barbara, I Wish I Was In Heaven & Stampede Of Love are standing out for me. Based on the past this will most likely mean they will not be released as singles.

Rufus singing backing harmony with Justin seems to work very well on the couple of tracks he is on. They sound a bit like 90's cheese but I am loving that shit personally.

PS I want to see this forum rise from the ashes. Who's in? X

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 19:42 
Darkling

if I can hear well, in one of the snippets, we can hear a duet of rufus and justin, isn't it? I don't know why he didn's sings live, as backing vocalist

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 20:09 
Darkling

blackshade wrote:
if I can hear well, in one of the snippets, we can hear a duet of rufus and justin, isn't it? I don't know why he didn's sings live, as backing vocalist

It's in Stampede of Love, I believe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next