All times are UTC [ DST ]

30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 01:21 
Darkling

Hey guys. I have seen people online saying they have head 30 samples from the tracks on the new album online. Does anyone know about this or know where we can here. Have not posted on here for a while. Would love to see a return of the darklings. Ever consider moving it over to a Facebook group? X

But yeah back on topic.... samples! Anyone? Xx

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK

Re: 30 Second album clips available
    PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 03:49 
Darkling

Can't find anything. Where did you hear this?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 05:56 
Darkling

The Mexican iTunes Store has them.

Anyone can access this.

If you have iTunes installed on your computer, open the Store, then scroll right down to the bottom of the screen and in the very bottom right hand corner of the screen there's a little circle flag. Click on that, and it'll let you change your Store location. Select Mexico, then search The Darkness Pinewood Smile and it'll let you play the clips.

EDIT: I previously posted saying I hadn't been able to locate them. I have now figured it out. The person in The Darkness Army who mentioned them is based in Mexico. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 11:55 
Darkling

Can anyone record the clips so that people who can't access it can hear? Quite a big ask so no worries if not. I just really wana hear this :o

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 13:51 
Darkling

Pilgey wrote:
Can anyone record the clips so that people who can't access it can hear? Quite a big ask so no worries if not. I just really wana hear this :o

I second this. :oops:

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 14:26 
Darkling

I have itunes at my home, when I arrived I will try to record it and share with you

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 15:37 
Darkling

I'm in the US and listening to it on the Mexico iTunes store. FYI, they're 90 second clips.

Also, literally every song is better than All The Pretty Girls........

TON of production. A lot of layered vocals and harmonies like OWTTHAB. Sounds much better than their recent records.

Think of the production of Hazel Eyes, and how it sounds live, then apply that to the new songs you've heard live. My expectations have been exceeded.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 16:46 
Darkling

that's for you guys, enjoy:
https://mega.nz/#!JVxAgIZQ!_jHJtm9rKH_9 ... QODWrTUfY0

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 17:25 
Darkling

blackshade wrote:

Thank you so much! You're the best! :)

Listening right now....

EDIT:

Just finished listening. I hope that no one will be offended if I share some thoughts on the songs. The comparisons are the first thing that popped up in my head, so please don't stone me for them. And of course the songs might be something entirely different when we hear the full album.

2. Buccaneers of Hispaniola - I'm a bit unsure of the hook but otherwise it sounds much better than live
    3. Solid Gold - compared to the live version, Justin sounds a bit "tamed" but it sounds good, the chorus reminds me of Alice Cooper's Trash (album) sound
    4. Southern Trains - my least favorite song from the album, I guess I'll need a full song to properly judge it
    5. Why Don't The Beautiful Cry? - sounds really good and interesting, a real old-school feeling, laid back, the sound reminds me a bit of Duffy's Rockeferry (album) and Janelle Monáe's The Electric Lady (album)
    6. Japanese Prisoner of Love - I get the description "anthemic", sounds really good, very polished but not "overpolished"
    7. Lay Down With Me, Barbara - sounds great, soundwise it reminds me of RENT soundtrack, it does sound like from a Broadway musical
    8. I Wish I Was In Heaven - sounds really good, I really like how Justin goes really high during the verses
    9. Happiness - not bad but I think that this might be the filler track of this album although it does have some interesting parts. I'm ready to eat my words when I hear the full track though. ;)
    10. Stampede of Love - a suppose this might be the Rufus' vocals :) , sounds good but not my favorite one
    11. Uniball - sounds good. The chorus reminds me of Creep by Radiohead.
    12. Rack of Glam - the Messanger of this album, I fear, although it does not sound bad, it's just not as strong as the other songs :(
    13. Seagulls (Losing My Virginity) - a ballad, sounds really good
    14. Rock in Space - I hope it's not a cliche when I say that it "rocks". I can't wait to hear this song in full

Overall the album sounds really good judging from the snippets. Very strong. The songs are very unpredictable in their structure, there is a lot of totally unexpected moments. Seems like the music was really worth the waiting.

I liked majority of the songs, so I suppose that it would take less time to list the songs that I liked a bit less: Southern Trains, Rack of Glam, Happiness

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 20:18 

Nerevanin wrote:
12. Rack of Glam - the Messanger of this album, I fear, although it does not sound bad, it's just not as strong as the other songs :(

Have to say this surprises me. We all have our opinions and perfectly entitled to them. I don't like the reference to Messenger as if it was factually a or the poor track of LOoK. I actually really enjoy that song and really like the sound of RoG too funny enough. That said, I understand it's your opinion and opinions are right or wrong, they're subjective so fair enough if that's the way you feel about it. Have to say I kinda agree on Happiness but like the sound of all the songs really. None of them disappointed me in terms of the songs themselves but think some of them could have sounded a slight bit heavier/more intense without going too much in that direction just to sound more rock than they do and to make them more enjoyable and enticing to move/sing along to.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 21:04 
Darkling

^^ Honestly, I didn't mean it as "Messanger = 110% bad song". In fact I do enjoy the song from time to time when I'm in the right mood. It's not a bad song. Just, I dare to say, not the most... inspired or inspiring song by TD. And I have the same feeling about ROG. And both are bonus tracks, that's even a better parallel. ;) Seriously though, I worded it a bit poorly and I definitely didn't mean it in a bad way. Someone might have Messanger as his/her favorite song and the same thing goes for ROG. On the other hand I know that for example some people aren't very fond of Sarah O'Sarah which I really like. And that's great! It'd be boring if we all have the same opinions. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 22:09 
Darkling

Standouts:
- All the Pretty Girls
- Southern Trains
- Solid Gold
- Lay Down With Me, Barbara
- Uniball
- Happiness
- Rock in Space

To be honest even having heard it live I've never really been into Buccaneers...

Rack of Glam sounded better live, so did Japanese Prisoner of Love. I think they still sound good but they were better live for sure.

My dislikes: Seagulls, Stampede of Love (for some reason it reminds me of Conquerers/Forbidden Love and Blind Man, and I detest those songs and skip them every time!!)

They haven't written a good closing song since Holding My Own.

PTL is perfection. It's true in how they talked about it - it's the perfectly balanced rock record made for vinyl. 10 songs. 5 a side. Start with a straight out driving song with Black Shuck, hit a solid anthemic power ballad at track 5, then power through and close with a ballad that builds up and crashes down in epic style at track 10.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 22:09 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Standouts:
- All the Pretty Girls
- Southern Trains
- Solid Gold
- Lay Down With Me, Barbara
- Uniball
- Happiness
- Rock in Space

To be honest even having heard it live I've never really been into Buccaneers...

Rack of Glam sounded better live, so did Japanese Prisoner of Love. I think they still sound good but they were better live for sure.

My dislikes: Seagulls, Stampede of Love (for some reason it reminds me of Conquerers/Forbidden Love and Blind Man, and I detest those songs and skip them every time!!)

They haven't written a good closing song since Holding My Own.

PTL is perfection. It's true in how they talked about it - it's the perfectly balanced rock record made for vinyl. 10 songs. 5 a side. Start with a straight out driving song with Black Shuck, hit a solid anthemic power ballad at track 5, then power through and close with a ballad that builds up and crashes down in epic style at track 10.

Japanese Prisoner of Love sounds like the best song to me.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 22:37 
Darkling

OMG, it's like Christmas day!

Well, overall, I'm very impressed. Possibly the best album since PTL from what I'm hearing. They've really brought back the unpredictable yet infectious melodic sensibility that made them so special in the first place (and IMO was dialed to 11 in Hot Leg). And while LOOK had this as well, it had a lot of filler, whereas this has less, and most or all of the best songs are on the album, not bonus tracks (I'm still pissed about Million Dollar Strong).

All the Pretty Girls: Weakest song on the album. Clearly a try at a radio friendly single, but mistaken in thinking that means a simple song. IBIATCL was not particularly simple and LIOAF was not at all.

Buccaneers: The live version never caught my attention much (maybe just because the riff was hard to discern), but this did much more so. That chorus vocal is fucking epic. This is the first example on this album of a return to daring quirkiness.

Solid Gold: While I loved the lyrics from day one, at first I felt the riff a bit generic. But it's been growing on me. The pre-chorus is actually my favorite part, lyrically and musically (We are legends, we've got power that you can't deny. We're immortal... XD). Chorus could be benefit from more gang vocals a-la AC/DC though.

Southern Trains: This is looking like a classic. Some bold melodies and wonderfully explicit lyrics. This is the fucking Darkness. FUCK YOU, SOUTHERN TRAINS!!!

Why Don't The Beautiful Cry?: Whoa, curveball here! Very cool though. Gave me a vibe of I Love You Five Times with those rimshots. Good melodies here and excellent guitar tones, could even be a hit maybe? Can't wait to hear the solo.

Japanese Prisoner: Already loved this song, but I have some slight disappointments in the studio version; the chorus removes the electric guitar entirely and that takes away the emotional depth of that part, which was probably my favorite. Less of an issue, but the distorted tone in the verse (as we hear at the end of the clip) sounds kind of shitty, all treble. While I'm sure that was done on purpose (like the intro to IBIATCL), I don't like it.

Lay Down With Me, Barbara: Similar to Why Don't the Beautiful Cry but still lightyears ahead of the ballads on the last two albums.

I Wish I Was in Heaven: Very interesting song. Quite a juxtaposition of the morbid tone of the verses and the seemingly jubilant tone of the chorus. Some of the Chorus reminds me of Iron Maiden's "Moonchild".

Happiness: I hear some Foo Fighters in this one. Kind of seems like a jokey song though, might be a filler, but we'll see.

Stampede of Love: Instantly loving the intricate acoustic guitar work here. And RUFUS! He sounds awesome!

Uniball: Hard hitting rocker right here. Very PTL-style. Possibly the bonus track I will complain wasn't on the album.

Rack of Glam: Was never that big on this one, but it's not bad either. Catchy chorus.

Seagulls: Well, this song doesn't hide it's subject matter, that's for sure! Cool tune though. The spacey chords definitely give a weightless sense of flight.

Rock in Space: Chorus is pretty boring but some nice chord changes follow it.

Last edited by PermissionToLand on 24 Jul 2017, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 22:49 
Darkling

ConcreteDarkling wrote:
Have to say I kinda agree on Happiness but like the sound of all the songs really. None of them disappointed me in terms of the songs themselves but think some of them could have sounded a slight bit heavier/more intense without going too much in that direction just to sound more rock than they do and to make them more enjoyable and enticing to move/sing along to.

Agreed, and while this has been true of all the reunion albums, it figures this time, since it was produced by the Foo Fighters' producer, and their guitar sounds are always too polished and not prominent enough in the mix. He clearly mixes to be radio-friendly, not for rock lovers. IDK why they don't just go back to Pedro Ferriera.

I also like Messenger. Especially the bridge ("So I reach into the flame and pluck from the embers, a smoldering sword") and the chorus outro ("Messenger run like the wind!"). Criticisms: the main riff is a bit poppy and the "run my messenger" staggered part can be a bit grating.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 00:52 
Darkling

Great to see the forum up and alive again after such a huge period of silence !

I spoiled hotcakes when it came out because I had already heard most of it. So i never listen to anything before album release anymore. It's killing me not listening to all the pretty girls but itll be worth it.

Would just really love to get a better idea of the songs though -would anyone be so kind as to compare every song to a darkness song so I can get a bit more of a feel as to what they all are?

2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 02:32 
Darkling

SOUTHERN TRAINS IS THE BEST SONG SINCE THE REUNION! HANDS DOWN!
What a tune! Why isn't this the first single for goodness sake?! It's catchy, the lyrics are hilarious, it sounds fresh and lively. 10/10

At the same time, ATPG feels forced, overproduced and just not so very interesting. I wouldn't mind it somewhere in the middle of the album, but why make it the album opener and the lead single? 6/10

I also need to complain about production of Japanese Prisoners O Love. It just doesn't sound as good as live version. Some background vocals seem unnecessary, if not off putting (middle 8). It's still a great song though. Perhaps I just need to get used to the new arrangement, because I heard the live version too many times? 8/10

Solid Gold studio version is way too slooooooow. I like the song, but prefer the tempo from live recordings 6/10

On a contrary, Buccaneers have improved hugely. I never really paid much attention to the live version. It seemed weakest out of 6 songs. However, now I really really like it. The unison vocals in chorus are stunning. 9/10

I only listened to snippets of 6 songs previously performed live and I'm leaving the remaining 8 for October. However, based on what I heard so far, I already know this album will be better than Hot Cakes.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 04:40 
Darkling

Solid Gold and Rack of Glam are to slow in my opinion, but they both sound great.

I really like Why don't the beautiful cry and Lay Down With Me, Barbara

I tried to not listen anything but I'm a weak man. Can't wait to the release.

2015-10-07 – Plaza Condesa, Mexico City

Facebook.com/TheDarknessLatino

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 10:10 
Darkling

All the people having a whinge about All The Pretty Girls! Lighten up!

There's a reason it was done...

The album title is hidden in the song.

Plus, uh, it's a good song!

And since when were TD ever known for "playing by the book" anyway?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 10:14 
Darkling

I'll try my best not to listen to the snippets too much before the album comes but I fear that this fight is already lost... :oops:

And I agree with Luke that ATPG is a good song, it's definitely no rubbish, even though there are better songs on the album! (Although I don't agree with him at all that Conquerors is a bad song).

PermissionToLand wrote:
I Wish I Was in Heaven: Very interesting song. Quite a juxtaposition of the morbid tone of the verses and the seemingly jubilant tone of the chorus. Some of the Chorus reminds me of Iron Maiden's "Moonchild".

I've noticed this too. I can't wait to read the full lyrics of this song, the difference in mood between the verses and the chorus is really interesting.

remike wrote:
I only listened to snippets of 6 songs previously performed live and I'm leaving the remaining 8 for October. However, based on what I heard so far, I already know this album will be better than Hot Cakes.

I think that it's clear that Pinewood Smile will be better than Hot Cakes by lightyears. It might be caused simply by my excitement but I dare to say that PS might be at least on par with LOOK.

darknessrback! wrote:
Would just really love to get a better idea of the songs though -would anyone be so kind as to compare every song to a darkness song so I can get a bit more of a feel as to what they all are?

I'm really bad at comparing and explaining songs but I'll try my best. I made a few comparisons to other artists' songs in my "opinions post" above but looking at TD's discography, I really don't know what to compare the new songs to... Soundwise, the closest album to them is LOOK, I think, especially songs like Mudslide and Million Dollar Strong (without the horns), but Pinewood Smile seems to me very different in structure (not the right word) of songs, they are very unpredictable - like, you have an uptempo part with heavy guitars and Justin's wailing and suddenly, without a warning, it changes completely to a ballad-like arrangement with soft and warm Justin's vocals. The album sounds very fresh, very youthful. And as someone already said, vocals are often layered. I hope this description created at least something tiny in your imagination. :oops:

EDIT: Listening to the snippets again, I suppose that the chorus and the instrumental part between chorus and next verse of Buccaneers of Hispaniola can be compared to Roaring Waters. The verses are quite different though.