All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: ALBUM NEWS: "Pinewood Smile" - 6th October.
    PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 09:10 
Darkling

I listen to music on Spotify. Don't have a CD player or vinyl player but bought the expensive vinyl as a good will gesture rather than them only get paid for my Spotify plays. I dont feel particually bad about listening to the leak.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 11:50 
Darkling

I bought 2 copies of the album so my vinyl will pay for the leak.

I also bought 5 various copies of LOOK, have 3 copies of owtthab and 2 2 copies of PTL.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 12:01 
Darkling

I just bought 5 copies: cd standard, cd deluxe, cassette, lp and japan version...

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 16:16 
Darkling

So... first listen: Why Don't The Beautiful Cry disappointed me a bit, Buccannneers are great, JPOL is better than I expected, LDWMB is great, IWIWIH is great too, Rack of Glam really sounds amazing in studio version, Uniball sounds pretty good too. Wow at Stampede (I really didn't saw THAT coming) and Seagulls (I wasn't expecting the clapping at the end). On first listen, solid album.

Meanwhile...

Album: Pinewood Smile Deluxe
iTunes:
#11 Australia
#13 New Zealand

Currently Pinewood Smile has a score of 77 on metacritics (PLT has 79, OWTTHAB 68, HC 69, LOOK 63) but so far it's based only on 5 reviews, I expect more to come and the score to lower (LOOK has 14 reviews).
http://www.metacritic.com/person/the-darkness

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 16:32 
Darkling

Blimey!....I didn't realise this was turning into some sort of game of poker...I'll raise you 1 Blackshade. :lol:

1 x signed cd
2 x signed deluxe cd
1 x signed black vinyl
1 x signed red vinyl
1 x japanese version cd

OneMoreRound wrote:
Overall, take out the singles and add the bonus tracks and the album is great.

'Tis true that the 3 (single?) releases are very generic but the rest of this album is super intriguing.

Laugh out loud points at the beginning of 'Happiness' with "Father, I think I've shit meself" and the manic jam after 'Stampede of Love' with all the profanity shouting. Priceless. :D

First listen through...immediate standouts are 'Japanese Prisoner Of Love' (light years better than I was also expecting Nerevanin), 'I Wish I Was In Heaven', 'Happiness', 'Stampede of Love' (how good is Rufus on vocals?!!!!), 'Seagulls' and 'Rock In Space' (a bit of a nod to that LOOK artwork cover story?).

Some of this sounds very Stone Gods meets Hot Cakes to me. Not a bad thing at all.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 03:52 
Darkling

Honestly, I think the album is full of surprises.

Happiness I can see as a single. I would like to see it released as a single just to see what it would do for the band. I think it's like Friday Night version 2.

Favourites: Southern Trains, Japanese Prisoner of Love, Uniball, Rack of Glam, Happiness, Rock in Space.

I've got to say that I don't like the lyrics to Stampede of Love. Personal preference. It's too Steel Panther/Spinal Tap, and not enough Darkness. What do I mean by that, you ask? Spinal Tap and Steel Panther were always known for their blunt, crude lyrics. TD are not "known" for that - they're known for only saying what's necessary and doing it tongue in cheek. This was just plain crude. They might as well have sung "I won't marry a fat chick".

That said I think, musically, it's one of the most interesting songs and I really liked Rufus's vocal - complemented Justin's really well.

Least favourites: Seagulls, Bucaneers of Hispaniola (how many times can you scream buck buck buck before you think man am I going insane?! Shame because I really liked the music just not the vocals and the lyrics)

Most unusual/unexpected: Lay Down With Me Barbara, I Wish I Was In Heaven, Happiness, Why Don't The Beautiful Cry?

Overall, I think, what we have here is a diverse album full of twists and turns and I think that's the reason I love it. One minute you're being snuggled in a blanket of huge guitars in Queen style epics like Rock in Space, the next minute you're being repeatedly punched in the gut by the straight 4:4 groove of Rack of Glam, you're being swept away on a floaty cloud by the tenderness of Why Don't the Beautiful Cry, and racing down tracks at high speed with Southern Trains. So many twists... It's a rollercoaster album.

So I thought about it, and, one other thing that I remembered is in the UK - the rollercoaster at Alton Towers: The Smiler, the logo of that... rollercoaster ride with the album, big smile like the cover, kinda creepy too and disconcerting and definitely eerie knowing how badly injured those people were. It leaves you all a bit confused thinking about that, just like the album does.

How this will do, remains to be seen. I think on the back of the singles I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. But I have. And I do. And I will continue to enjoy it.

That's the end of my confusing sentiments toward the album.

Didn't think I'd love it. I love it. But I feel kinda strange about it. Something is missing, but there's so many things there.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 05:46 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
I've got to say that I don't like the lyrics to Stampede of Love. Personal preference. It's too Steel Panther/Spinal Tap, and not enough Darkness. What do I mean by that, you ask? Spinal Tap and Steel Panther were always known for their blunt, crude lyrics. TD are not "known" for that - they're known for only saying what's necessary and doing it tongue in cheek. This was just plain crude.

You've hit the nail on the head with a lot of this album lyrically, in my opinion. You may feel differently but I feel like it was a step back in that department compared to the last album.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 08:21 
Darkling

Well, I'm saving the bonus tracks for my physical CD, but from the basic tracks, I found it a pleasing album, better than Hot Cakes but not as good as LOOK.

The comically quiet mixing of distorted guitars really underwhelm the rocking tracks like Southern Trains and Buccaneers, as do some questionable artistic choices, which most would probably call nitpicking, but little things can have a big impact. Mostly I'm referring to holding or cutting off certain notes in a riff or vocal. But also, there's the crummy guitar tone for the dual guitar intro to Why Don't the Beautiful Cry? A tone like that on Christmas Time or LIOAF would have sounded worlds better. Oh, and the first verse of JPOL. Not digging that tone either.

Now, it may sound like I dislike the album from that, but I really do love most of the songs. It's just that the unfulfilled potential for them kills me.

Overall, what's obvious is the brevity compared to LOOK. No really ostentatious or long solos, barely any instrumental bridges (or bridges at all; almost every song is verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus). And it shows in the runtime. A curious choice from a band that seemed to love taking unexpected detours within a song, and that was something I really loved about them.

But, as always, they surprise with their excellent songwriting abilities and pulling out new tricks like I Wish I Was in Heaven and Why Don't the Beautiful Cry?

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 10:19 
Darkling

Has somebody already received the signed copies and stuff pre-ordered from Pledge? I received an email on Friday that it was dispatched but I haven't received the copies themselves yet. I'm just curious. :)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 10:23 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
Has somebody already received the signed copies and stuff pre-ordered from Pledge? I received an email on Friday that it was dispatched but I haven't received the copies themselves yet. I'm just curious. :)

I received the same email on Friday and have yet to get anything yet - but then again I'm in the US, so.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 10:38 
Darkling

a very negative review from Pitchwork, they gave it 4.8/10 :

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/th ... ood-smile/

I don't want to sound like a butthurt fan but I think that the person who did the review takes it a bit too far. Pinewood Smile isn't another PTL or LOOK, I think we can more or less agree on that, but not to find a single positive thing about it and downplaying even I Wish I Was In Heaven and Buccaneers of Hispaniola seems to me like the critic is more of TD hater, especially since he calls them "a joke" like twenty times. :?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 13:57 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:

I don't want to sound like a butthurt fan but I think that the person who did the review takes it a bit too far. Pinewood Smile isn't another PTL or LOOK, I think we can more or less agree on that, but not to find a single positive thing about it and downplaying even I Wish I Was In Heaven and Buccaneers of Hispaniola seems to me like the critic is more of TD hater, especially since he calls them "a joke" like twenty times. :?

I think it'd be best to just ignore that review. I'm not even gonna read it.

Liverpool, December 2003;
Paris, August 2004;
Manchester, December 2004;
Manchester, February 2006;
Liverpool, July 2006;
Leamington Spa, June 2011;
Liverpool, November 2011....
Manchester, November 2017!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 18:23 
Darkling

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official, The Darkness has another Top10 album!

In its debut week, Pinewood Smile debuts at.... ..... ..... #8 on the UK official overall album chart!

You can check it here yourselves:
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

EDIT:
it also debuts at #1 (woohoo!) at the UK rock and metal album chart!

another #1 (woohoo!) At the UK independant albums chart!

And at #3 on the UK vinyl albums chart

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 18:36 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, it's official, The Darkness has another Top10 album!

In its debut week, Pinewood Smile debuts at.... ..... ..... #8 on the UK official overall album chart!

You can check it here yourselves:
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Woop! Excellent news. After seeing that it was number 3 midweek it's a bit disappointing... but in reality, I don't think anyone expected it to do so well, so that's great.

Also... Liam Gallagher's album got to number 1 and isn't as good as Pinewood Smile, so I would take it all with a pinch of salt anyway. I mean the album that got to number 2 is called 'Wamp 2 Dem'... wtf even is that?

Liverpool, December 2003;
Paris, August 2004;
Manchester, December 2004;
Manchester, February 2006;
Liverpool, July 2006;
Leamington Spa, June 2011;
Liverpool, November 2011....
Manchester, November 2017!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017, 18:47 
Darkling

^ Honestly, I didn't expect Pinewood Smile to even crack Top20, let alone Top10, so I consider this to be a great success.

Anyway...

I tried to find how much PS sold in its debut week and I found nothing with the exception of the fact that Liam Gallaghes album sold 103,000 copies of his album (SPS, as I understood it), which is more than the rest of Top10 combined. Which means that Pinewood Smile didn't sell any huge amount, my rough estimation is under 10,000...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 08:49 
Darkling

spooner_22 wrote:
Nerevanin wrote:

I think it'd be best to just ignore that review. I'm not even gonna read it.

So somebody doesn't like the album and gave it a negative review so you're not going to read it just because you disagree with them?

Alright then. Whatever floats your boat.

:lol:

To be honest I'll still read it even if it's a negative review, because nothing's perfect.

Plus, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Do you ever look at or hear about something and then not check it out for yourself just because of someone else's opinion? If you do you'll just end up boxing yourself in.

Heck I've bought things because of reviews, and anything that I like the idea of I'd listen to.

Plus, when you look at buying it... I always check sites like Amazon and see "If you like this, then try these..." and check out other stuff from that.

Don't let someone else's opinion put you off. You're allowed to love and hate the album for whatever you want but that's their opinion, so... Doesn't mean we have to let it influence us but everyone has a say.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 10:09 
Darkling

Pinewood Smile debuts at #17 on the overall album chart in Australia. It ties PTL's peak position on the chart, although Hot Cakes is TD's highest peaking album in Australia (#15). OWTTHAB peaked at #25 and LOOK at #23.

https://www.ariacharts.com.au/charts/albums-chart

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 12:11 
Darkling

Mess, not The Darkness themselves forgetting about Hot Cakes' #4 peak in the UK like this:

" Justin Hawkins‏Verified account @JustinHawkins 18h
I'm delighted to announce that @thedarkness are in the Album Chart Top Ten for the first time since 2003! #pinewoodsmile is Numero 8!"

" The Darkness‏Verified account @thedarkness 17h17 hours ago
We're in the top ten of the top 200 chart for the first time since 2003! #PinewoodSmile is also #1 Independent album & #1 Rock and Metal!"

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 13:27 
Darkling

Regarding Pinewood Smile's first week in the US, I don't know the exact position yet but I can say that its debut week is very bad, as it sold less than 2,116 copies (pure sales)... :cry:
http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

When you add SPS numbers to the pure sales ones, the album that will be at #50 this week has 9,000 units and as The Darkness' streaming numbers aren't any outstanding and they will rely mainly on the pure sales numbers, it's not looking good. http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 10:31 
Darkling

Pinewood Smile debuts at #190 (yikes!) on Billboard 200 (overall album chart).
http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

Also at #5 on Billboard Independent album chart:
http://www.billboard.com/charts/independent-albums

Unfortunately it didn't chart on the Billboard Top Rock Albums chart... :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next