All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: ALBUM NEWS: "Pinewood Smile" - 6th October.
    PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 20:13 
Darkling

All the songs from Pinewood Smile were added on ASCAP and all 14 has the four boys (Justin, Dan, Frankie, Rufus) credited as songwriters. Just in case someone would like to know this. :)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 11:27 
Darkling

I checked TD's twitter and they retweeted a few tweets about reviews of PS. The reviews are very positive. I don't know how much "official" or "professional" the reviews are, anyway there you go:

http://shockwavemagazine.com/the-darkne ... ood-smile/

https://teomagblog.com/?p=9322

Quote:
Why Don’t the Beautiful Cry’ and ‘Stampede of Love’ are a wonderful combination of Justin’s distinctive and strong voice with Rufus’ softer, warmer tone.

So Why Don't The Beautiful Cry is a Justin-Rufus ballad too? :shock: I remember that it was mentioned somewhere that there are two songs that feature Rufus' vocals but I wouldn't bet that the other song is WDTBC.

For me the other interesting point of both reviews is that they praise Solid Gold so much, while here on this forum it seems that most people are kind of disappointed by the track (including me). #justacomment

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 05:30 
Darkling

Thought the teomagblog website review was rubbish. Saw it on Facebook. Clearly just written by someone who's a fan of the band and got attention because they gave it 10/10.

There's no way this album is worth 10/10.

Anyway, only another 13 days until we get to hear and decide for ourselves.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 10:21 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Thought the teomagblog website review was rubbish. Saw it on Facebook. Clearly just written by someone who's a fan of the band and got attention because they gave it 10/10.

There's no way this album is worth 10/10.

Anyway, only another 13 days until we get to hear and decide for ourselves.

Yeah, that's clear. While I don't want to underestimate TD, I'm a bit reluctant to believe that Pinewood Smile is so flawless that there is not a single thing to criticize...

Anyway, I can't wait to hear Lay Down With Me Barbara, Why Don't The Beautiful Cry and Seagulls in full! :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 23:49 
Darkling

Yup.

12 days to go!

I have it on pre-order on iTunes. I'm trying to make the shift from physical copies to all digital because the way I listen to music has completely changed from a portable CD player or in my stereo at home to playing off my iPhone through my car stereo. Plus it's cheaper and I don't get the time to go out to the shops anymore.

I digress...

:)

I still am excited by the release, don't get me wrong, I just think that the songs we have heard so far sounded way better live than they have in studio recordings and that the album title and the cover art suck.

There's still plenty of hope for what we haven't heard.

I don't dislike the two singles - they just don't live up to the hype in the al versions...

It's like Cannonball all over again back in the Hot Cakes era!!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 04:06 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Yup.

I don't dislike the two singles - they just don't live up to the hype in the al versions...

It's like Cannonball all over again back in the Hot Cakes era!!

Oh god, don't remind me how dirty they did poor Cannonball!

But yeah, no way it's a 10/10 with ATPG and Solid Gold being so underwhelming. I'm at least sure that Southern Trains, JPOL, Buccaneers and Why Don't the Beautiful Cry will be great tracks.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 05:58 
Darkling

Having heard the samples I'm under the impression that Uniball and Rack of Glam may be two of the best songs on the album.

Rock in Space also sounds like it'll be great (though a complete rip off of Queen's sound)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 10:32 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Having heard the samples I'm under the impression that Uniball and Rack of Glam may be two of the best songs on the album.

Rock in Space also sounds like it'll be great (though a complete rip off of Queen's sound)

I know that after listening to the snippets for the first time, I thought (and wrote here on this forum) that Rack of Glam might be the weakest song on the album but as time flies and I listened to the snippets a few more times, Rack of Glam really grew on me and it is shaping up to be a vey enjoyable track. In fact, as I am thinking about it, I think that Rack of Glam is what Solid Gold should have sounded like... Man, I am still mad at the way they Solid Gold wrong. I still think that just a bit heavier guitars / sound could do wonders for the song... :(

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2017, 14:00 
Darkling

Does anyone else think that we might get a stream of the album one week/a few days before release? That did happen with Last of Our Kind...

You never know, we might get to hear it next week!

I actually haven't heard a single nano second of the album other than the singles of course...

By the way, don't know if it's already been said on here but the Japanese version of the album has a 15th Track called "Why Don't The Beautiful Cry (Demo Version)"

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 02:03 
Darkling

Makin'Out87 wrote:
Does anyone else think that we might get a stream of the album one week/a few days before release? That did happen with Last of Our Kind...

You never know, we might get to hear it next week!

I actually haven't heard a single nano second of the album other than the singles of course...

By the way, don't know if it's already been said on here but the Japanese version of the album has a 15th Track called "Why Don't The Beautiful Cry (Demo Version)"

I hope that means it's a preliminary version of the song that's at least noticeably different in arrangement. If it's just a rougher recording... who cares?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 06:40 
Darkling

Yeah... See if you look back at Hot Cakes the demo version of Pat Pong Ladies was included as a bonus track and its demo state kinda ruined the song.

I'd like to hear a full, professionally recorded version.

In other news, the media backlash beginneth! Classic Rock Magazine gives PS an extended highlight box review, giving it a depressing 6/10 and conclude their review of the album with this statement:

"This is feeble stuff, more Benny Hill than Russell Brand. When they hit the target, The Darkness are untouchable, but too much of Pinewood Smile feels like a half-hearted wank when it should have been a mighty ear-shafting."

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 14:14 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Yeah... See if you look back at Hot Cakes the demo version of Pat Pong Ladies was included as a bonus track and its demo state kinda ruined the song.

I'd like to hear a full, professionally recorded version.

In other news, the media backlash beginneth! Classic Rock Magazine gives PS an extended highlight box review, giving it a depressing 6/10 and conclude their review of the album with this statement:

"This is feeble stuff, more Benny Hill than Russell Brand. When they hit the target, The Darkness are untouchable, but too much of Pinewood Smile feels like a half-hearted wank when it should have been a mighty ear-shafting."

I think Patpong Ladies would sound interesting with more production/layers to it, but i've got no problem and like how it sounds. Now an Electric version of I Can't Believe It's Not Love...

I read the review in Classic Rock and was somewhat baffled at the low score. This is a magazine called "Classic Rock"...Now you would think that they'd kill for a new Darkness album. Without even hearing the rest of the album I already know that the score should be much higher than a 6/10.

Who the fuck are these people?

Most reviews I've read for Pinewood seem to like the album.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 02:52 
Darkling

In fairness... I have to partially agree with the review...

I LIKE it. But I don't love it. I like the term "ear shafting", I don't think I've had an ear shafting from the singles so far - at least not in the studio album versions. In the live versions, that's a different story... ;)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 01:18 
Darkling

just got word from Australia post that my CD will arrive tomorrow ! one day before release. awesome !

cant wait. havent listened to a single track from the album, not even the singles. going in with a clean slate. anyone else got news that theirs will be arriving?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006 - The Palace (St. Kilda), Melbourne
2012 - The Roundhouse, Sydney
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2012 - The Palace, Melbourne
2013 - Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide (CANCELLED)
2015 - The Forum, Melbourne
2017 - 170 Russell, Melbourne

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 03:58 
Darkling

darknessrback! wrote:
just got word from Australia post that my CD will arrive tomorrow ! one day before release. awesome !

cant wait. havent listened to a single track from the album, not even the singles. going in with a clean slate. anyone else got news that theirs will be arriving?

Nope, no news on mine yet. Lucky you, though!

I'm worried because I ordered two deluxe edition Few today - hoping they get put/shipped with all my other stuff.

But yeah no word on my order. I'm in Boston, MA in the US so we'll see how long it takes to get my stuff here.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 21:33 
Darkling

I have the album in my ears, leaked tonight. On track 3.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 21:55 
Darkling

I just finished Stampede Of Love (WHO SAW THAT COMING).

It is on pirate bay for anyone looking for a copy

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 22:27 
Darkling

Yes George.... It's me. Stampede is fantastic. Overall, take out the singles and add the bonus tracks and the album is great.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 23:54 
Darkling

I just want to make a statement here, because freedom of speech, etc...

Did you REALLY *need* to do that?

If the band want to offer a free legal stream of the album prior to release or a teaser, then that is fine. But downloading the album from Pirate Bay? Really? Not only illegal, but the band get nothing from it.

I don't agree with the argument "but I bought a copy too"

Heck I had to get a new iTunes account so I re-purchased All the Prerty Girls, because I couldn't transfer the purchases.

All this talk of where's the record gonna chart, worried about the band's budget and then you guys go and steal a copy off Pirate Bay?

Crazy... I'm sorry but I can't support that and I hope you don't feel good about it even if you have purchased a copy as well.

If you were in a band would you really want to know that more people were stealing your creative works that you spent months or years labouring over to get a record company pay attention to and get it out there, rather than purchasing it or obtaining it through a legal source that amounts to a revenue stream? I doubt it.

I know "that's the way it goes these days", but of all people I am disappointed to see people here and on the Darkness Army Facebook page I thought we'd be able to do a bit better.

Rant over... as you were... I'll be waiting until tomorrow to get my grubby mits on it!!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 04:59 
Darkling

Jesus Christ, you're still making that utterly illogical argument?

Anyway, I just listened to Buccaneers and even if the rest of the album sucks, this justifies it. Kind of how I felt about Hot Cakes with Concrete.

Listening more closely, I've noticed that what's so strange about the mixing is that clean guitars are mixed quieter than the distorted parts. Typically, it's the other way around, for obvious reasons. I do recall wondering why the clean songs sounded better mixed than, say, Solid Gold in the samples.

One thing I do like about the production is the live-feel of when the tracks have a pause, you hear the drums settling for a second; it's not perfect instantaneous silence, and it gives you a sense of being in the room with the band as they're performing. Listen for it on the breaks in JPOL or Buccaneers and you'll see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next