All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: ALBUM NEWS: "Pinewood Smile" - 6th October.
    PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 08:07 
Darkling

https://www.amazon.com/Pinewood-Smile-D ... wood+smile

Rack of Glam is in there.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 11:05 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:

The thing is, I think it was a bad move because lukewarm tracks like Everybody HAGT and Every Inch being singles probably made a lot of returned fans figure they'd lost it and so they lost interest or forgot about them again. What made them special was that they were out there and intriguing. The Darkness were never about playing it safe. I think if LOOK was the comeback album, they would have a stronger following than they do now.

I'll say there were redeeming parts of Forbidden Love, but the song as a whole was underwhelming. A more interesting chorus would have helped, for one.

That's definitely true. They really didn't pick good singles for Hot Cakes, with the exception of With a Woman...

Speaking about singles, if we exclude the fact that singles usually get some attention of media and thus attention of potential buyers, do they get played at radio? The Darkness are not really mainstream music of course so I'm not talking about the biggest stations in the UK. But how about some rock stations? I admit that I have absolutely zero idea about it, so I'd appreciate some info, if someone has more information. :)

Impromptu wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Pinewood-Smile-Deluxe-Explicit-Darkness/dp/B073XTXWGX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500620745&sr=8-2&keywords=pinewood+smile

Rack of Glam is in there.

So we have both album cover and tracklist? Cool! :D Although the cover is... interesting, to say the least. :D

Seems like there are 10 songs on the standard version and 14 on the deluxe one, with Rack of Glam being a bonus tracks. I'm glad Prisoner of Love made it on the tracklist! :)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 11:30 
Darkling

just one bad thing about the cover, there's no 'darkness' logo on it. First one without it. And the first time that the band appears on an album cover (not counting platinum collection). Things are changing

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 11:59 
Darkling

All The Pretty Girls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QqAb47tYQ

Sounds good. :)

Everytime I hear a new song by The Darkness, I remember a line from a local review of PTL - "[TD music is full of] smalls unexpected moments that are worthy discovering". ATPG fit this description well, I think. :)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 12:22 
Darkling

Quote:
‘Pinewood Smile’ was written in Putney, South-west London and recorded in Cornwall with Grammy Award-winning producer Adrian Bushby (Foo Fighters, Muse).

Drummer Rufus Tiger Taylor, son of Queen’s Roger Taylor, who joined The Darkness in May 2015, shares vocals with Justin on two of the album tracks.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-new ... lead-song/

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 13:52 
Darkling

There's a lot about 'All The Pretty Girls' that reminds me of 'The Horn'.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 14:14 
Darkling

Love the titles "Lay Down With Me, Barbara" and "I Wish I Was In Heaven". So intrigued as to what they and everything else on the album sounds like! Nice to see that Rack of Glam is included on the album. Hoping for at least one mega ballad :lol:

Good production on All The Pretty Girls. Frankie's Bass sounds wonderful and Rufus' drumming sounds great

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 14:38 
Darkling

Well produced. More, "radio/single friendly" than the rest because of language and it being a little more generic. I wish Justin's screams/high belts were a little louder or panned across both left and right speakers rather than being center focused. Haha. That's just my preference though after listening to the production on OWTTHAB and LOOK.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 14:51 
Darkling

So... Why Don't The Beautiful Cry? and Stampede of Love are probably the ballads...

I'm very curious about Happiness, Uniball and Seagulls.

Btw, I'm listening to ATPG on repeat and I really like it, especially the line "all the pretty girls and their mu-mu-mu-mums". :lol: Not that I understand much of the rest of the lyrics. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 15:09 
Darkling

Quote:
Their first album recorded with Rufus Taylor playing drums (his father of Queen Fame’, the band told us that the record was more ‘beats-oriented’, and ‘modern’ – as well as ‘blonder, younger, more beautiful.”

While telling us about their tour with Guns N’ Roses and labelling Brexit as ‘the rise of the arseclowns’, The Darkness also told us how in these dark times, the world needs them now more than ever.

“Rock has always had a certain amount of humour attached to it,” guitarist Dan Hawkins told NME. “That’s never changed, has it? We’re a rock band and there aren’t many rock bands left. We’re part of a dying breed. What you’re really asking is ‘is there more of a need for rock?’ Yeah, there always is.
MPU 1 (Desktop / Tablet)

“There’s almost too much of a risk to not take yourself serious these days. It is harder for bands these days.”

http://www.nme.com/news/music/darkness- ... es-2113790

there's also a video interview

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 19:33 
Darkling

I like it. The start reminds me of physical sex. I'm liking the bass driven sound to it. It does have a The horn sound to it too. Which I also liked.

Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry

RIP Rick Parfitt

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 19:43 
Darkling

Btw isn't it great to be talking about new music and the band again?! :D

Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Sheffield, Holmfirth, Scunthorpe, Norwich, Leeds, London, Coventry

RIP Rick Parfitt

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 22:19 
Darkling

Hello again Tim...and yes, it really is great isn't it? :D

Noticed that my 'Limited Edition signed coloured vinyl LP' will be in “Most Reddest” Red Heavyweight Vinyl......nice one!!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 00:03 
Darkling

Ahhh yes I'm glad I managed to inject a bit of life back into the forum :P

I mean, I'm a member of The Darkness Army on Facebook too but I can never leave this community.

So, I'm loving "All the Pretty Girls"

:)

I haven't pre-ordered my physical copy yet!! But I have the track from iTunes and the album pre-ordered digitally.

Since I tend to listen to music mostly on my phone now, I'll be ordering digital and physical (because I want the signed copy of the deluxe album of course!)

:D

I said it in The Darkness Army FB group, but, looking at some of the track titles it really reminds me of Queen.

Think about it...

"All The Pretty Girls"
"Why Don't the Beautiful Cry?"
"Lay Down With Me, Barbara"
"I Wish I Was in Heaven"
"Happiness"
"Seagulls (Losing My Virginity)" (Bonus track)
"Rock in Space" (bonus track)
"Rack of Glam" (bonus track)

...stinks of Queen, biiiiigtime!!

And the cover art as well.

Actually the cover art reminds me of something a really lame ass Indie band would create - I wonder if they're trying for that somewhat more mainstream look, but doing it tongue-in-cheek?

It's like a really badly done Rolling Stones album cover!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 07:04 
Darkling

DerekAntos wrote:
Well produced. More, "radio/single friendly" than the rest because of language and it being a little more generic. I wish Justin's screams/high belts were a little louder or panned across both left and right speakers rather than being center focused. Haha. That's just my preference though after listening to the production on OWTTHAB and LOOK.

The drums and bass are too high in the mix. The vocals and guitars don't stand out prominently enough, and that's an issue especially if you want a successful single. IDK how so many professional producers can get basic things like the mix so wrong.

The tracklist reveals some interesting names. These are not song names I would have ever expected from them, so I suspect they may also be sonically adventurous. I'm very curious about Why Don't the Beautiful Cry, I Wish I Was in Heaven and Happiness.

Nerevanin wrote:
Speaking about singles, if we exclude the fact that singles usually get some attention of media and thus attention of potential buyers, do they get played at radio? The Darkness are not really mainstream music of course so I'm not talking about the biggest stations in the UK. But how about some rock stations? I admit that I have absolutely zero idea about it, so I'd appreciate some info, if someone has more information. :)

In the US they get nothing (around me) but then, I stopped listening to the radio because it's all the most overplayed hits 24/7. No band that isn't a household name stands a chance.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 07:34 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
Btw, I'm listening to ATPG on repeat and I really like it, especially the line "all the pretty girls and their mu-mu-mu-mums". :lol: Not that I understand much of the rest of the lyrics. ;)

I worked out the lyrics and posted them at Genius.com:

https://genius.com/The-darkness-all-the ... rls-lyrics

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 09:34 
Darkling

I'm really glad that this forum is alive again! Discussing TD is always great! ;)

PermissionToLand wrote:
Nerevanin wrote:

I worked out the lyrics and posted them at Genius.com:

https://genius.com/The-darkness-all-the ... rls-lyrics

Thank you for posting! :)

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 22:41 
Darkling

all the pretty girls... it started to growing on me, great track

My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 02:33 
Darkling

Loudwire seems to have heard the new songs, and gave short descriptions of a few:

"The album also features such choice tracks as “Buccaneers of Hispaniola,” the expletive-laden “Southern Trains,” the emotional “Why Don’t the Beautiful Cry?,” the anthemic “Japanese Prisoner of Love” and the raucous “Solid Gold.” See the full track listing below."

Although IDK how you could call Japanese Prisoner "anethmic", so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 13:19 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
The thing is, I think it was a bad move because lukewarm tracks like Everybody HAGT and Every Inch being singles probably made a lot of returned fans figure they'd lost it and so they lost interest or forgot about them again. What made them special was that they were out there and intriguing. The Darkness were never about playing it safe. I think if LOOK was the comeback album, they would have a stronger following than they do now.

I agree. PTL was balls out and after all these years I still rate it as a perfect album. Bald was the only song I liked off of One Way ticket. I don't have anything good to say about Hot Cakes, so I won't say more. I think of Last Of Out Kind as TD's proper second album. It was heavier, more original and more inventive than the previous two, IMO.

The cover for the new album does seem simplistic, but maybe there is less budget available. I'd rather that budget went into the recording. I am missing the classic logo, but it doesn't really matter. PTL was my favourite cover. One Way Ticket was a bad Harry-Potter-meets-Lord-of-The-Rings Photoshop mashup of photographic and hand-drawn parts. I thought the alternate Bear version of hot Cakes was cooler than the frankly misogynistic one chosen. Last Of Our Kind had a good cover, but for some reason I wish it wasn't a baby. I don't like babies in advertising, especially the talking ones that seem popular in TV ads. Babies behaving like adults are creepy. Again IMO.

Farking 'ell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next