All times are UTC [ DST ]

ALBUM NEWS: "Pinewood Smile" - 6th October.
    PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 10:59 
Darkling

Yep... That's right.

"Pinewood Smile" (codename: 'Album V') will finally be released 6th October.

While it sucks that the album release has been delayed now, until October, I feel based on the songs we have heard on tour of late we will be in for a treat.

The band's Facebook page indicates more details will be revealed soon (my guess: single, cover art and track listing).

So, watch that space. :D

Re: ALBUM NEWS: "Pinewood Smile" - 6th October.
    PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 10:26 
Darkling

Finally some news about the album!

The title is interesting, I wonder what is meaning behind it (if there is any ofc).

Anyway, I can't wait for more info and I am especially looking forward to the cover of the album, the title is making my head spin with imagination, haha. :D My guess: a dark forest with monsters lurking from behind the trees. :D

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 19:22 
Darkling

Solid Gold is such a great track. Another brilliant groove/rhythm rocker from the guys. Can't wait to hear the album, so many interesting sounding songs. I would love to hear another song a la Conquerors, or at least another great ballad like that. Would like to hear Frankie sing on a track again.

Could Pinewood Smile be the opposite of a Hollywood Smile? Pinewood Studios is a famous film studio in England, and look at the design of the post on Facebook... Like a black and white 'take' board for films.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 19:37 

Pinewood Smile is a lyric from All The Pretty Girls.

"Girls in my orbit I've got my own gravitational pull,
flashing my Pinewood Smile like a red rag to a bull."

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 20:08 
Darkling

TDARC wrote:

Didn't know that. My theory is maybe still right then..

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 21:21 
Darkling

I Hope The Horn is on it....it give me........fill in your own pun!!! :lol:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Ragman1960...

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 20:31 
Darkling

Anyone know if there is a recording of Southern Trains? Seem to be the only song I can't find on Youtube...

TDARC wrote:

I should have figure All The Pretty Girls would be on it, they have a knack for including the most generic songs and leaving out the best. This does not bode well for Prisoner of Love...

ragman1960 wrote:
I Hope The Horn is on it....it give me........fill in your own pun!!! :lol:

Really? I mean besides that The Horn was already released in 2013 on a special edition of Hot Cakes, it was never a particularly great song IMO.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 09:18 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:

I should have figure All The Pretty Girls would be on it, they have a knack for including the most generic songs and leaving out the best. This does not bode well for Prisoner of Love...

I really hope Prisoner of Love (and Solid Gold) will make it on the album... It's my favorite one out of the new live-played songs...

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 09:48 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
Really? I mean besides that The Horn was already released in 2013 on a special edition of Hot Cakes, it was never a particularly great song IMO.

Agreed. There's very few TD songs that I dislike, but, The Horn would be one that I dislike. Most of the song is just hard to listen to because of the break-down which is mostly just Justin squealing over a charging riff. Stupid.

I would really like to hear a studio version of Rack of Glam!

Imagine if some of the other songs that were played on tours years ago were on the album... like I'd always wished they'd put out "Up Shit Creek" on an album, that was a cool sounding song!

Anyway. Think I saw somewhere that there would be 9 tracks on the main album and 13 on the deluxe edition.

It should be interesting.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 13:36 
Darkling

Since Rack of Glam was the first song that the guys wrote with Rufus, it really should be on the album, or at least it would make a very good B-side. I echo other peoples sentiments about All The Pretty Girls; I'm secretly hoping that it's not the new/first single out, although it's a good song. Out of all the new songs, Solid Gold and Japanese Prisoner of Love are definitely my favourites of the bunch. The Horn isn't that great in my opinion.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 15:15 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Anyway. Think I saw somewhere that there would be 9 tracks on the main album and 13 on the deluxe edition.

It should be interesting.

All I know is what's written on pledgemusic: that the deluxe edition will have 4 bonus tracks. If your info is right, 9 songs on standard edition isn't much imo... Unless it will be longer epic songs in the vein of Mighty Winds and Conquerors. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 17:22 
Darkling

9 tracks is very little.

The Horn and Rack of Glam are probably my least favorite TD songs besides Conquerers...

If they're going to make a single out of the songs they already played, then I hope its Japanese Prisoner of Love. Keep forgetting about Buccaneers of Hispaniola. I liked that, but don't think its single worthy quite yet.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 20:16 
Darkling

DerekAntos wrote:
9 tracks is very little.

The Horn and Rack of Glam are probably my least favorite TD songs besides Conquerers...

If they're going to make a single out of the songs they already played, then I hope its Japanese Prisoner of Love. Keep forgetting about Buccaneers of Hispaniola. I liked that, but don't think its single worthy quite yet.

Buccaneers kind of reminds me of Concrete. The song isn't bad but it lacks that magical something that would transform it from "ok" to "awesome"... :/

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 00:54 
Darkling

Hi, it's my first post here, but I've been lurking here for a long time.

PermissionToLand wrote:
Anyone know if there is a recording of Southern Trains? Seem to be the only song I can't find on Youtube...

You can find one here - https://youtu.be/RF_Pi0Wf71M?t=8m59s It's a brilliant track. Possibly my favourite out of the new ones.

PermissionToLand wrote:

My guesses based on this photo:
http://www.thedarknesslive.com/wp-conte ... 00x500.jpg
are that
- All The Pretty Girls is Track 1
- Southern Trains is Track 2
- Solid Gold is Track 5 (but this one is a huge guess and I base it on a single letter "D" at the end :P)

Nerevanin wrote:
I really hope Prisoner of Love (and Solid Gold) will make it on the album... It's my favorite one out of the new live-played songs...

I also hope Prisoner of Love makes it to either version of the album (standard/deluxe) + that it doesn't get ruined like Cannonball did in 2012... :(

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 04:37 
Darkling

Luke wrote:

Imagine if some of the other songs that were played on tours years ago were on the album... like I'd always wished they'd put out "Up Shit Creek" on an album, that was a cool sounding song!

Yes! Up Shit Creek was really cool, and Full Moon (Evening of Lies) was incredible, even without any lyrics. How they could throw away such killer melodies is beyond me.

remike wrote:
Hi, it's my first post here, but I've been lurking here for a long time.

PermissionToLand wrote:

You can find one here - https://youtu.be/RF_Pi0Wf71M?t=8m59s It's a brilliant track. Possibly my favourite out of the new ones.

Nerevanin wrote:

I also hope Prisoner of Love makes it to either version of the album (standard/deluxe) + that it doesn't get ruined like Cannonball did in 2012... :(

Thank you! Tough to make sense of that riff on first listen, but it sounds pretty good.

And I SO AGREE on Cannonball. The live versions were so incredible and it gets screwed up and left as a bonus track, WTF?! Same with Can't Believe It's Not Love, that could have been a hit like Love is only a Feeling if they played it with the electric like they did live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDoNyuEfio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT31FhTatB4

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 11:59 
Darkling

My opinion of Hot Cakes is it's an album of leftovers.

It sounds like it was recorded in 50 odd sessions at random times whenever they could fit bits in, and produced by different people.

Listen to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" and "With A Woman" - it's pretty raw, straightforward...
Then listen to the studio version of "Cannoball" - it's over-polished...

I'd re-do the whole album to be honest, like this...

1) Second Fiddle
2) Nothin's Gonna Stop Us
3) With a Woman
4) Living Each Day Blind
5) I Can't Believe It's Not Love... (full, electric, well done studio version)
6) Cannonball (studio recording done as the live version was)
7) She Just A Girl, Eddie
8) Pat Pong Ladies
9) Concrete
10) Everybody Have A Good Time
11) Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Would not include:
- Every Inch (because it's shit and is made sort of redundant by the inclusion of Second Fiddle, the song tells a story of the band)
- Forbidden Love (because it's shit)
- Love is not the answer (because it's shit)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 12:07 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
Would not include:
- Every Inch (because it's shit and is made sort of redundant by the inclusion of Second Fiddle, the song tells a story of the band)

Forbidden Love and Love is not the answer are my favourite tracks from Hot Cakes. :D And Every Inch has more live performances than any other song from that album.

I think the best solution here is if they just release every track they have - regardless if it's in standard/deluxe edition or B-side. And if they want to experiment (like they did with Cannonball), they could just release both versions - standard "live-like" and a remix.

That way everyone will be happy :D

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 13:03 
Darkling

I agree with Luke that Hot Cakes feels like an album of leftovers and I'd add that it also feels like TD on autopilot, especially compared to LOOK. As if they wanted to carefully test the audience, which I can't really blame them for, it was their comeback album after a long time. The songs aren't bad but they lack something.

I'd say that Every Inch and Everybody Have a Good Time can both leave, and would be replaced by the three bonus tracks, as Luke said, although that would be 12 songs. Love Is Not the Answer would be probably a contender for leaving too, although I think that the song is cute. And the second verse of Forbidden Love is one of my favorite moments from the album, so FL stays. ;)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 17:40 
Darkling

twitter and Facebook....coming soon....how soon...single soon...why wait only the fans will buy it so why not get it out there..now. :P

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Ragman1960...

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 21:50 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
My opinion of Hot Cakes is it's an album of leftovers.

It sounds like it was recorded in 50 odd sessions at random times whenever they could fit bits in, and produced by different people.

Listen to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us" and "With A Woman" - it's pretty raw, straightforward...
Then listen to the studio version of "Cannoball" - it's over-polished...

I'd re-do the whole album to be honest, like this...

1) Second Fiddle
2) Nothin's Gonna Stop Us
3) With a Woman
4) Living Each Day Blind
5) I Can't Believe It's Not Love... (full, electric, well done studio version)
6) Cannonball (studio recording done as the live version was)
7) She Just A Girl, Eddie
8) Pat Pong Ladies
9) Concrete
10) Everybody Have A Good Time
11) Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Would not include:

Pretty much agreed on all counts. Except I'd also leave off Everybody HAGT because it's just as lazy and uninspired as Every Inch. I would even say all of it was a bit too polished. IDK why Dan and Justin (because they produced the album) made the guitars so quiet. They should aim for a mix like Ferriera did on PTL. LOOK was better but still a bit quiet.

And speaking of songs not done justice, I forgot to mention Million Dollar Strong! Probably the best song off LOOK after Mighty Wings and it gets forgotten as a bonus track. And while I don't hate the horns they added, they don't really add anything to the song.

But here was my ideal Hot Cakes from another thread:

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us
With a Woman
Can't Believe it's Not Love (Proper version)
Keep me Hangin On
Cannonball (Proper version)
Living Each Day blind
She's Just a Girl
Concrete
Pat Pong Ladies (Perfect closing song, the intro always gave me the vibe of a bar at closing time, anyone else?)

Nerevanin wrote:
I agree with Luke that Hot Cakes feels like an album of leftovers and I'd add that it also feels like TD on autopilot, especially compared to LOOK. As if they wanted to carefully test the audience, which I can't really blame them for, it was their comeback album after a long time. The songs aren't bad but they lack something.

I'd say that Every Inch and Everybody Have a Good Time can both leave, and would be replaced by the three bonus tracks, as Luke said, although that would be 12 songs. Love Is Not the Answer would be probably a contender for leaving too, although I think that the song is cute. And the second verse of Forbidden Love is one of my favorite moments from the album, so FL stays. ;)

The thing is, I think it was a bad move because lukewarm tracks like Everybody HAGT and Every Inch being singles probably made a lot of returned fans figure they'd lost it and so they lost interest or forgot about them again. What made them special was that they were out there and intriguing. The Darkness were never about playing it safe. I think if LOOK was the comeback album, they would have a stronger following than they do now.

I'll say there were redeeming parts of Forbidden Love, but the song as a whole was underwhelming. A more interesting chorus would have helped, for one.