All times are UTC [ DST ]

Re: One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back
    PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 17:44 
Darkling

Had One Way Ticket album on in the car for a few days now and have really re-discovered my love for it. Not as good as Permission to Land, but in some ways it's hard to compare the two. Shame that the boys have somewhat disowned most of it.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 13:30 
Darkling

I love it more now then I did when it was released... I think it was before its time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2XSeleENpE

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
The Darkmess

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 04:26 
Darkling

The album is stellar - I'd rank it as their best work, easily. I love every album so far, though.

This is the only place where I've seen Darkness fans say anything not great about this album (and Hot Cakes, for that matter).

The band has been fortunate to have consistently put out music that their fans and fans of the genre love, consistently. I'd say 90% of those who like the band love every album to some degree - it's hard not to given how they're consistent.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 22:08 
Darkling

I know the above post was made some time ago now, but, I felt it fitting to respond given the upcoming 10th anniversary of the album's release.

I think for a lot of people they had hoped that the album would be a very stripped back and hard rocking affair, like Permission to Land. The studio photos and diary on the website were promising. In the run up to the band entering the studio, on tour, we had heard the performance of the following songs...

Hazel eyes, up shit creek, dinner lady arms, seemed like a good idea, English country garden, grief hammer, full moon, and that's all I can remember.

The ballads among them were simple and beautiful - piano, guitars, bass and drums. They sounded great. Then the album came out with string drenched versions of these songs that sounded out of place among the hard hitting rockers like one way ticket, bald, knockers etc.

The overall vibe of the album was an expensive venture which was heavily over produced.

I think it's that. Just that people missed the stripped back, straight, balls to the wall rock sound of permission to land.

Having said that... My opinions of the album changed over time. There's really only one song on the album that I just can't listen to, and that is Blind Man.

Bald, one way ticket, knockers, is it just me, English country garden and hazel eyes are great. So is dinner lady arms. I loved seemed like a good idea but then was somewhat disappointed by the way it turned out on the album... However I can look past it. As for girlfriend, it's not my favourite but I can deal with listening to it in passing. I remember even when there was talk of that being the first single from the album and then they went for one way ticket instead - probably a wise move!!

That's just my thoughts. 70% of the album I still enjoy