All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back
    PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 19:37 
Darkling

My opinions on OWT are that

1) I can count how many times I've listened to it all the way through on both hands
2) The songs, which are absolutely great, are buried underneath ridiculously expensive sounding production - the drums sound like they were drawn in on ProTools rather than played.
3) I was really annoyed that Hazel Eyes turned from a Thin Lizzy rocker to the album version
4) Again, the production doesn't stand up compared with Pedro's on PTL - it sounds less like a band who rock hard and more like a band who are trying too hard. It also doesn't capture the excitement of their live show - at times it is pedestrian.
5) It took too long to come out
6) The departure of Frankie tarnishes the album in my opinion: as good a session musician as Dan is, he doesn't capture the same attack as Frankie does
7) The negative publicity being received by lots of indie/rock darlings in the press at the time surrounding cocaine and wasting talent got applied to The Darkness, so it was released to a public that were a little sceptical.
8) I don't think it helped that, obviously due to the touring, it sort of never looked from the outside like they had a proper plan for this album.

In conclusion I think it's actually a great album buried by production and circumstance. It sounds expensive and radio-ready but that never really materialised... I think a lot of sparkle and romance was lost on this recording - it somehow doesn't sound as genuine as PTL although the songs are not technically inferior in musical terms... I just think that PTL had better singles!

Anyone agree even slightly?!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 19:50 
Darkling

Moon wrote:
My opinions on OWT are that

1) I can count how many times I've listened to it all the way through on both hands
2) The songs, which are absolutely great, are buried underneath ridiculously expensive sounding production - the drums sound like they were drawn in on ProTools rather than played.
3) I was really annoyed that Hazel Eyes turned from a Thin Lizzy rocker to the album version
4) Again, the production doesn't stand up compared with Pedro's on PTL - it sounds less like a band who rock hard and more like a band who are trying too hard. It also doesn't capture the excitement of their live show - at times it is pedestrian.
5) It took too long to come out
6) The departure of Frankie tarnishes the album in my opinion: as good a session musician as Dan is, he doesn't capture the same attack as Frankie does
7) The negative publicity being received by lots of indie/rock darlings in the press at the time surrounding cocaine and wasting talent got applied to The Darkness, so it was released to a public that were a little sceptical.
8) I don't think it helped that, obviously due to the touring, it sort of never looked from the outside like they had a proper plan for this album.

In conclusion I think it's actually a great album buried by production and circumstance. It sounds expensive and radio-ready but that never really materialised... I think a lot of sparkle and romance was lost on this recording - it somehow doesn't sound as genuine as PTL although the songs are not technically inferior in musical terms... I just think that PTL had better singles!

You're pretty much spot on with most of what you said.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Liverpool, December 2003;
Paris, August 2004;
Manchester, December 2004;
Manchester, February 2006;
Liverpool, July 2006;
Leamington Spa, June 2011;
Liverpool, November 2011....
Manchester, November 2017!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 19:58 
Darkling

I've often felt some of the songs whilst enjoyable occasionally feel a little imcomplete, Knockers for example. I think you're pretty much spot on tbh. Too many circumstances can sound like excuses, but in hindsight the Atlantic deal does seem like a mistake.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 20:00 
Darkling

Nickr wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Who will be producing the third album exactly? I hope it won't end up sounding cheap and under produced. But I agree with every word you say about the intervening industry.

I think that Justin and Dan will be producing the album with Nick Brine? That doesn't sound too unreasonable, or does it?

It could well be right. However after listening to Red Light Fever I'm less sold on Justin as a producer than I am as a guitarist, song-writer and front man.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 05:57 
Darkling

my view....well the art work was very nice{wish i'd bought one of the prints that were for sale}couldn't wait for it to come out then when it did 35 fucking minutes is that it?

i remember playing bald twice and thinking love on the rocks part 2...epic song for me anyway,got dinner lady arms played on the radio for wife and then listened to the lyrics and thought should i have done that{she's a dinner lady}.

never liked girlfriend much but video was great.
as Moon said over produced and my vinyl version was shite too.
BUT i played it the other day first time for ages and thought what an album :o

bring on number 3

even older darkling

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 05:58 
Darkling

my view....well the art work was very nice{wish i'd bought one of the prints that were for sale}couldn't wait for it to come out then when it did 35 fucking minutes is that it?

i remember playing bald twice and thinking love on the rocks part 2...epic song for me anyway,got dinner lady arms played on the radio for wife and then listened to the lyrics and thought should i have done that{she's a dinner lady}.

never liked girlfriend much but video was great.
as Moon said over produced and my vinyl version was shite too.
BUT i played it the other day first time for ages and thought what an album :o

bring on number 3

even older darkling

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 06:00 
Darkling

i think i pressed submit twice :oops:

even older darkling

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:05 
Darkling

I agree with a lot of what you said !

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 23:15 
Darkling

Bald is the worst Darkness song in the world. Seemed Like A Good Idea wasn't any better either. Girlfriend I LOVED until the video came out and then I was put off, One Way Ticket was rubbish but the rest of it I actually really enjoy, Is It Just Me? is my favourite track and Blind Man (although a lot of people don't like it) I absolutely love. I didn't but it's really grown on me. The album just didn't hit me like PTL did, every track on PTL is just fantastic.

Wembley 2004,
Birmingham 2006,
Norwich 2011,
Donington 2011,
Cambridge 2011,
Norwich 2011,
Thetford 2012,
Wolverhampton 2013,
Northampton 2013,
Leicester 2013,

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 23:20 
Darkling

The standard of the vinyl was appalling. In classic rock Dan was quoted as saying it was a record intended for vinyl, so it was such a shame that someone somewhere decided to save some money and release it on such poor quality thin vinyl.

I don't think we can complain too much about the length. PTL isn't much different and the band always stated a preference for quick ten track albums. I expect the third record to be no different.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 16:13 
Darkling

Dirk Gently wrote:
Nickr wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Who will be producing the third album exactly? I hope it won't end up sounding cheap and under produced. But I agree with every word you say about the intervening industry.

I think that Justin and Dan will be producing the album with Nick Brine? That doesn't sound too unreasonable, or does it?

I had no idea whatsoever so thanks for the info. Yeah it might be good enough... I have to wait and see. I hope they have a budget for a couple of music videos though. But on the other hand, the best TD video is probably the original cheap IBIATCL video (the one with deer horns and shopping mall, not the expensive sci fi one) so it might turn out really well

The original IBIATCL vid is shocking, very amusing to see and such, amazing proof that they started on thir own , but i personally think that its a bit too far to ever make anything like that again, I may be wrong but im not x

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 18:43 
Darkling

It's going to be interesting to see what happens regarding singles. It's a vastly different climate for singles now and rock singles aren't exactly huge in terms of sales with or without major label backing.

I agree with the guy about the original I Believe vid though. I love that to bits. Okay for years it was the holy grail of The Darkness oddities and we weren't even sure if it still existed, but it's such a good marker of where the band came from and there ethos at that time. Sure it looks shoddy, but a lot of the charm was going to see this band in pubs or clubs and then suddenly blam! Not only did they look like they were from another place, they blew everyone else out of the water. It was all about ideas people had forgotten to love.

I think we probably will get a video and a least one single. I sure as hell hope so.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 23:40 
Darkling

Switch625 wrote:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens regarding singles. It's a vastly different climate for singles now and rock singles aren't exactly huge in terms of sales with or without major label backing.

I agree with the guy about the original I Believe vid though. I love that to bits. Okay for years it was the holy grail of The Darkness oddities and we weren't even sure if it still existed, but it's such a good marker of where the band came from and there ethos at that time. Sure it looks shoddy, but a lot of the charm was going to see this band in pubs or clubs and then suddenly blam! Not only did they look like they were from another place, they blew everyone else out of the water. It was all about ideas people had forgotten to love.

I think we probably will get a video and a least one single. I sure as hell hope so.

I just hope we get some great b-sides again...not like the crappy remixes we got on Girlfriend!!

Paris, August 2004;
Liverpool, July 2006;

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2011, 11:12 
Darkling

To me this album was special because PTL was already out when I became a fan, so I was along for the anticipation ride. This album was released 2 days before my 26th birthday and I loved it upon first listen. I tend to not over analyze music too much and just take it for what it is, but I really thought the critics needed to give this one more of a chance. I loved the direction, but I'm also a Queen fan so I thought using RTB to produce was cool. I guess the public prefered the rockier side of the band?

I didn't appreciate "Knockers" so much, until they opened with it on the tour. "Is it just me" was probably my favourite, especially the clip. "Girlfriend" is a guilty pleasure, but I admit it is slightly naff (Part of the appeal though I guess?). I agree "Blind Man" isn't the most fantastic TD track either.

All up still an epic album!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2011, 20:06 
Darkling

TheDarknessManRock wrote:
DINNER LADY ARMS

Justin: "This is the first song that we did 'Permission To Land' and it's a sweet story about an elderly couple who get back together after a long time, hence the dinner lady arms reference."

What does he mean? Was it the first song they wrote after Permission to Land?

Also, I read this about Bald the other day:

"The line, "Well tonight thank god it's him instead of me" is directed at Bono, the lead singer of U2. In the 1984, Band Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Bono sang the infamous line, "Well tonight thank god it's them instead of you." At the time One Way Ticket To Hell And Back was being recorded, lead singer Justin Hawkins and Bono quarreled after Bono gave Hawkins permission to sing his line in the remake of 'Do They Know It's Christmas" because Hawkins said Bono's voice was shaky after hearing him re-sing the line. Bono got upset and maintained that Hawkins stole the line from him and they have clashed ever since. Hawkins thought it would be funny to manipulate Bono's infamous line to deride him in song or possibly even write an entire song about his impending hair loss."

Is this true?

2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 16:27 
Darkling

Played both albums back to back the other day. It was a clear win for PTL but also a joy to be reminded just how good 'English Country Garden' is.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:38 
Darkling

Impromptu wrote:
TheDarknessManRock wrote:
DINNER LADY ARMS

Justin: "This is the first song that we did 'Permission To Land' and it's a sweet story about an elderly couple who get back together after a long time, hence the dinner lady arms reference."

What does he mean? Was it the first song they wrote after Permission to Land?

Also, I read this about Bald the other day:

"The line, "Well tonight thank god it's him instead of me" is directed at Bono, the lead singer of U2. In the 1984, Band Aid song "Do They Know It's Christmas?," Bono sang the infamous line, "Well tonight thank god it's them instead of you." At the time One Way Ticket To Hell And Back was being recorded, lead singer Justin Hawkins and Bono quarreled after Bono gave Hawkins permission to sing his line in the remake of 'Do They Know It's Christmas" because Hawkins said Bono's voice was shaky after hearing him re-sing the line. Bono got upset and maintained that Hawkins stole the line from him and they have clashed ever since. Hawkins thought it would be funny to manipulate Bono's infamous line to deride him in song or possibly even write an entire song about his impending hair loss."

Is this true?

Yeah I heard this at the time, not sure if it's true or not, but clearly contradicting the interview earlier in the thread. Not sure...knowing Justin, it's probably the Bono one.

Paris, August 2004;
Liverpool, July 2006;

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 22:47 
Darkling

DLA was meant to be one of the first songs written after the PTL era.

Given Justin previously made jokes about a receding hairline I'd be surprised if Bald was entirely aimed at someone else.

As for the supposed row over *that* line. It's worth remembering that the line was shared by such established vocalists as Jason Donovan and Luke Goss on Band Aid II.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 18:14 
Darkling

Switch625 wrote:
DLA was meant to be one of the first songs written after the PTL era.

Given Justin previously made jokes about a receding hairline I'd be surprised if Bald was entirely aimed at someone else.

As for the supposed row over *that* line. It's worth remembering that the line was shared by such established vocalists as Jason Donovan and Luke Goss on Band Aid II.

Duuuude...Jason Donovan is hero of mine!! Don't diss! :D

Paris, August 2004;
Liverpool, July 2006;

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 21:44 
Darkling

Hey tbh I quite like the bloke, but I always thought it funny how that record was completely forgotten about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next