All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Re: Interviews/News Articles etc
    PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 05:33 
Darkling

I don't think it's that sad. I'm not even surprised. Fact of life - real music is dead.

So is this forum.

The band don't really seem to be doing anything.

Few festivals coming up and that's about it.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 13:23 
Darkling

analizing this new era of the band, I feel quite different to the first era (2001-2006). I don't know, but at that time I always was expecting new things of this band, I don't know if was the time (a time were find info and videos and songs was quite more difficult than this days) or whatever, but is true that in this new era, the things are different.

We can't dream anything more than this band reunion, but after the reunion.... what happened? Hot Cakes, and Last Of our Kind... yeah good records, great songs, but.... the feeling is different... I'm the only one that feels this?

The case is that I don't feel the same as when I was expecting OWTTH to arrive. Now, I know that the band is working on a new album, but I'm alright, I don't have that feeling of: "oh my god, I can't wait to hear this!"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
My Spanish Darkness blog!
http://thedarknessticket.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 11:52 
Darkling

It was uncool to like the band back then.

It's kind of just accepted now because they had their fame, then they went away and that was it.

I'm not sure either. But I agree... to an extent. I think it has a lot to do with the way the music scene has been changed by the digital age.

There isn't the need to wait to go out and buy a single on CD, music videos don't mean that much anymore, and so yeah I get that the excitement could die off with the changes that the industry faces now.

It is not TD it is the industry.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 13:17 
Darkling

Luke wrote:
It was uncool to like the band back then.

It's kind of just accepted now because they had their fame, then they went away and that was it.

I'm not sure either. But I agree... to an extent. I think it has a lot to do with the way the music scene has been changed by the digital age.

There isn't the need to wait to go out and buy a single on CD, music videos don't mean that much anymore, and so yeah I get that the excitement could die off with the changes that the industry faces now.

It is not TD it is the industry.

yeah, maybe you are alright. But do you guys think that the band do better albums now or back then? (I mean 2003-2005 era vs 2012-2015)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 18:00 
Darkling

blackshade wrote:
We can't dream anything more than this band reunion, but after the reunion.... what happened? Hot Cakes, and Last Of our Kind... yeah good records, great songs, but.... the feeling is different... I'm the only one that feels this?

I have your same feelings, blackshade.
In my opinion, the reason is that: when time passes by, everything changes. It is how things work in life. We win only if we are able to modify ourselves along with the changes of the world around.

blackshade wrote:
But do you guys think that the band do better albums now or back then? (I mean 2003-2005 era vs 2012-2015)

I like more how the band sounded back in the days. Rock'nroll is an attitude.

http://sweetpeopleofrock.webs.com/
The Darkness Vintage Site

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 20:03 
Darkling

And I'm not saying that I don't like HC or LOOK, but for me, PTL and OWTTH are far better than these two. I hope than the 5th record will surprise me

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 11:38 
Darkling

What doesn't surprise you about HC/LOOK?

Permission To Land: was recorded low budget, 10 tracks, straight up, had to be nailed, on point and was very rough and ready with brilliant song writing and is a revered classic.

OWTTHAB: oh look, we're successful now, let's make a big pompous album splattered with orchestras and terrible production!

HC: very experimental, mix of straight rock, a few attempts at radio friendly songs, and a couple of really piss-poor tracks. Most of the album was filler.

LOOK: finally back on track, took the "big" production of OWTTHAB, combined it with the songwriting of PTL/OWTTHAB, stripped out the crap, and finally got some attitude back in to the music that PTL had but some experimentation in there too e.g. Mighty Wings, Mudslide, Roaring Waters, really took me by surprise in terms of musical technicality. Some of the more metal influences from the Stone Gods days crept into the music there.

Every album is completely different IMHO

By the way I realise some of my comments sound back-handed, harsh, and like I dislike some of the albums. I love them all, I just like them for different reasons and there's things that I dislike on every album I listen to regardless of who made it. It's impossible to completely love something IMO.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 17:19 
Darkling

I didn't experienced the PTL-OWTTHAB era back then because I was too young and the HC-LOOK isn't much of a show, so judging only by albums themselves, I can't really choose one of the eras, because my two favorite TD albums are PTL and LOOK and, well, they are in different eras.

I agree with the majority of what Luke said about the albums. I dare to add my own thoughts:

PLT - a raw diamond which was never polished and that's what makes it perfect, although sometimes its a bit too rough for my taste (like Stuck In Rut, which is one of my least favorite TD songs).

OWTTHAB - way too overproduced for my taste, although it has some great songs, but it sounds like a greatest hits album - each song is different from the other ones and not in a good way.

HC - this album is like TD on autopilot, overall the album is kind of safe with a lot of fillers, almost as if TD were careful not to scare the listeners away after such a long pause.

LOOK - TD are back in form, with great songs, great songwritig, great quality while it's bringing something new. The pure joy of creating music that was present on PTL is back here.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2017, 14:04 
Darkling

The Darkness were one of the most special bands ever in 2003.

I would never have thought they would become what they are now!

Still love them, always will.

Super excited for the new album.

Loved the new tracks at Darknesstival xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 17:47 
Darkling

The magazine Billboard made an article about best choruses of this century and I Believe In a Thing Called Love is ranked at #26.

"The Darkness may not have a long list of chart hits, but they crafted one of the best, most recognizable rock choruses of the 21st century with “I Believe In A Thing Called Love.” It works so well because Justin Hawkins’ vocal range feels like a rollercoaster ride -- taking us up and down with far-out musical pitches that feel impossible in tandem, almost sounding like two singers going back and forth (reminiscent of the band’s main influence, Queen). But that’s just frontman Justin Hawkins working his magic."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... ce=twitter

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 19:54 
Darkling

Niiiiiiiice!!!!!

Gasometer, 20th March 2006, Vienna
Hammersmith Apollo, 25th November 2011, London
Arena, 14th March 2013, Vienna
Electric Ballroom Camden, 12th and 13th November 2013, London
London Roundhouse, 20th December 2015, London
Arena, 27th January 2016, Vienna

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 00:54 
Darkling

blackshade wrote:
analizing this new era of the band, I feel quite different to the first era (2001-2006). I don't know, but at that time I always was expecting new things of this band, I don't know if was the time (a time were find info and videos and songs was quite more difficult than this days) or whatever, but is true that in this new era, the things are different.

The case is that I don't feel the same as when I was expecting OWTTH to arrive. Now, I know that the band is working on a new album, but I'm alright, I don't have that feeling of: "oh my god, I can't wait to hear this!"

Frankly, I think you guys are all off-base, but I do see where you're coming from. For starters, of course the vibe is not the same. It wasn't the same from PTL to OWT. If anything, it's far closer to PTL now than it was during the OWT years. Justin's range was gone on that tour and even the rest of the band was not on point like the previous tour. I think you were probably really excited for OWT because you thought it would be as good as PTL.

blackshade wrote:
yeah, maybe you are alright. But do you guys think that the band do better albums now or back then? (I mean 2003-2005 era vs 2012-2015)

Not better than PTL, but still very good. How many bands are still making quality, inspired music 14 years after their first album? Not a whole lot. Most rock bands had one hit album and went on to make totally uninspired filler for the rest of their careers. Iron Maiden, AC/DC and the like are exceptions, but even they are not as inspired as their golden years.

Frankly, I bet if Concrete was an unreleased track from PTL, you would call it a classic. I do. Sure, not every song these days is top notch; they definitely put in some filler, too much. But the incredible tracks make up for it IMO; Concrete, Cannonball & Can't Believe its not Love (live versions), She's Just a Girl, With a Woman, Mighty Wings, Million Dollar Strong, Messenger, Always Had the Blues, Mudslide, Roaring Waters. And now, at least Japanese Prisoner of Love sounds killer. Dan also did some harmonies on one of the new tracks. With Frankie trying his hand at singing as well, and Rufus now in the band, I think the boys have never been more inspired.

But, as you can see, many of my favorite tracks were bonus songs, and it was a huge mistake for them to have screwed up Cannonball and Can't Believe it's not Love because the live versions were incredible, CBINL could have been a hit single like Love is only a Feeling. So I am disappointed they would leave off some killer tracks and include crap like Sarah O Sarah, Hammer and Tongs, Wheels of the Machine, Every Inch of You, Everybody Have a Good Time (and to make those last two singles! UGH). So that definitely bugs me, to see them shoot themselves in the foot when they have excellent material to work with.

However, it does seem that this was always an issue with them. Why include the throwaway (by PTL standards) Holding My Own when Makin Out, Out of my Hands, Physical Sex and so many other killer tracks were unreleased? On OWT, you had the weaker Knockers and Seemed Like a Good Idea when Shit Ghost (incredible song, one of my faves in their whole catalog), Grief Hammer, Wanker and Shake were left off. I guess I get that the album was more serious and those were all a bit too jokey, would have seemed out of place. But Shit Ghost was too damn good to leave out.

Luke wrote:
OWTTHAB: oh look, we're successful now, let's make a big pompous album splattered with orchestras and terrible production!

Actually, the production of OWT was excellent; Roy Thomas Baker is a highly respected producer. People often seem to confuse arrangements with production. Producers do not add orchestras unless that's what the artist puts in the arrangement. And frankly, I don't find the arrangements overly extravagant. Most of the songs called for it, and when they didn't, like with Bald or Is It Just Me, they were left alone. The sitar solo in OWT (the song) sounds really cool, and Hazel Eyes sounds best on the album; the early, stripped back version they played in 2004 was not as good.

Nerevanin wrote:
PLT - a raw diamond which was never polished and that's what makes it perfect, although sometimes its a bit too rough for my taste (like Stuck In Rut, which is one of my least favorite TD songs).

Really, Stuck in a Rut?! I focking love that song! ""Kill me, Master, kill me!"

I actually think the production on PTL is fantastic, in fact, their best. Guitars are mixed too quiet on all the following albums (crazy because Dan produced the last two).

I mostly agree with the rest you said. Here's my impressions:

PTL: Classic album up there with Back in Black and Appetite for Destruction IMO. Highly underrated, even still. But, I'd take pretty much any B-side over Black Shuck, Holding My Own and Friday Night, although those are all still solid songs.

OWT: Very good, but not at the level of PTL. Title song is kind of a rehashed IBIATCL, and one of the weaker tracks IMO. Is it Just Me is a classic rocker. Dinner Lady Arms is one of my favorites from this album, despite the silly lyrics. Seemed Like a Good Idea, verses are good but chorus is repetitive. Hazel Eyes is a classic. Bald is their heaviest song yet and a classic, again despite the silly lyrics. Girlfriend was a ballsy move, and you have to give them credit for that. I actually do dig it, too. Not a classic, but an interesting song with catchy melodies, despite the cheesy chorus. English Country Garden, a classic, 'nuff said. Blind Man is a pretty touching song, and a really excellent composition. Another daring move, this one paying off better than Girlfriend. I wouldn't mind seeing more Justin piano ballads on future albums, in fact, I'm surprised he hasn't...

HC: Return of the Darkness' original lineup is hard not to like. And yet there was a lot of filler, despite the promising new tracks played before release. I've already said I was disappointed Cannonball and CBINL were changed and left as bonus songs. Every Inch and Everybody HAGT are total filler and bored me to hell live. Should have never been on the album, much less singles. Never Gonna Stop Us, not bad, but not great either. A leftover from the old days and probably the weakest song of that era. With a Woman and She's Just a Girl, now we're talking. One of these was also a PTL era leftover, I can't recall which, but they both are equal quality rockers, so they can still write PTL era quality material IMO. Keep Me Hangin On is a cool tune. Living Each Day Blind is a really cool song, kind of in the vein of LIOAF with those soaring guitar melodies and one of my favorite solos by Dan. Forbidden Love and Love is not the Answer are filler IMO. Conrete is the shining beacon of light in this album. This is easily as good as anything from PTL, hands down.

If it were up to me, Hot Cakes would be:

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us
With a Woman
Can't Believe it's Not Love
Keep me Hangin On
Cannonball
Living Each Day blind
She's Just a Girl
Concrete
And maybe Pat Pong Ladies

LOOK: Overall, a stronger album than Hot Cakes, but maybe not if it were the tracklist above. Again, suffers from filler among the solid material. Barbarians has a neat riff, but is overall underwhelming for me. I guess I'm in the minority there, most people seem to like it, but I just find it generic beyond that cool main riff. Open Fire is the first daring track they've done since the reunion, and I really like 90% of it, but that "irresponsible" guitar solo is a bit too out-there. Otherwise, a great track. Title track... I didn't even listen to enough to remember. Roaring Waters is a cool Zeppelin-like track and the switching back and forth of the accent on the beat is another daring move. Wheels of the Machine, Sarah O Sarah and Hammer and Tongs are all filler. Mighty Wings was another daring move and possible my favorite Darkness track. My only complaint is the solo is too country-rock-ish for such a heavy song. Justin should have gotten the solo on this and done one of his extravagant solos like Love on the Rocks. Mudslide is a cool rocker in the vein of Givin Up. Conquerors is pretty repetitive, but it's cool to hear Frankie sing, he actually has a really good, distinct voice. I'd love to hear more of him, but maybe let Justin handle the lyrics, and pick a more interesting song for him.

Million Dollar Strong was my favorite pre-release live track, and yet again, it gets dumped from the album! IDK what they were thinking with that. And I don't hate the horns, but it sounded better live without them. Messenger could have been a single. Always had the Blues, excellent riffing and vocals by Justin. My tracklist:

Barbarian
Open Fire
Million Dollar Strong
Roaring Waters
Messenger
Mighty Wings
Mudslide
I've Always Had the Blues

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 01:19 
Darkling

Remember how incredible Cannonball was live? With that wicked breakdown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDoNyuEfio

And Can't Believe its not Love with Dan on electric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXv_nushPAc

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 15:40 
Darkling

I think the Mighty Wings solo is from Justin. Or at least half of it. And yes, Sarah o Sarah, Wheels of the Machine, and Conquerers are all garbage to me. None sound like TD.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 17:55 
Darkling

DerekAntos wrote:
I think the Mighty Wings solo is from Justin.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 20:18 
Darkling

I'm pretty sure the Mighty Wings solo is Dan. For one, the tone is cleaner than Justin typically uses. The phrasing is more Dan's style and it's in a major key, which Dan prefers, while Justin uses both, but seems to prefer pentatonic minor. And when Justin does play major key solos, they are more the shredding style, while Dan does more textural, melodic stuff like we hear in Mighty Wings. The only thing that casts doubt for me is some of the phrasing and vibrato sound like Justin, and it's not like he hasn't ever done melodic major key solos before. And of course, as brothers they do share some similarities in playing style.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 01:04 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Mighty Wings solo is Dan. For one, the tone is cleaner than Justin typically uses. The phrasing is more Dan's style and it's in a major key, which Dan prefers, while Justin uses both, but seems to prefer pentatonic minor. And when Justin does play major key solos, they are more the shredding style, while Dan does more textural, melodic stuff like we hear in Mighty Wings. The only thing that casts doubt for me is some of the phrasing and vibrato sound like Justin, and it's not like he hasn't ever done melodic major key solos before. And of course, as brothers they do share some similarities in playing style.

I still feel like its Justin. The vibrado he throws on sooo many notes has always been Justin. And that's why I love playing Justin's solos myself more. More fun and less boring with all that vibrado. Especially like the solos on Growing on Me. Vibrado and bend galore. Many of the covers on youtube sound so shitty because they lack any vibrado or the correct vibrado on the correct notes.

I got side tracked. Also that bluesy/southern tone I hear has been indicative of some of Justin since Hot Cakes I feel.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 01:43 
Darkling

Yeah, I'll admit the more I listen to it, the more I'm not sure. But I still lean towards Dan.

In any case, I don't feel like it fits the song. It needs an epic metal solo to go with those massive chord changes and apocalyptic lyrics. Like Love is only a Feeling. Oh well, it seems they don't ever intend to play it live, anyway. It could have been a hit if they got it into a movie or something. It would be great for an epic life and death scene.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 01:51 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
Yeah, I'll admit the more I listen to it, the more I'm not sure. But I still lean towards Dan.

In any case, I don't feel like it fits the song. It needs an epic metal solo to go with those massive chord changes and apocalyptic lyrics. Like Love is only a Feeling. Oh well, it seems they don't ever intend to play it live, anyway. It could have been a hit if they got it into a movie or something. It would be great for an epic life and death scene.

I dig the tempo change into that solo. I enjoy the solo. But yes I would have preferred a heavy solo instead. A 100% Justin sounding solo too haha. I just prefer his solos.

And I don't think they'll ever perform it live because in the prechorus Justin wouldn't be able to hold those notes long enough anymore. Well at least not live. Unless they played it at the beginning of the show somewhere. I remember during the voting of the songs for the Darknesstival, Justin or someone commented that Mighty Wings wasn't going to be played at all. Almost as if he didn't want it to.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 03:33 
Darkling

DerekAntos wrote:
And I don't think they'll ever perform it live because in the prechorus Justin wouldn't be able to hold those notes long enough anymore. Well at least not live. Unless they played it at the beginning of the show somewhere. I remember during the voting of the songs for the Darknesstival, Justin or someone commented that Mighty Wings wasn't going to be played at all. Almost as if he didn't want it to.

The thing is, he nailed Concrete's chorus every time they did that live. And he wouldn't have to sing "let me be a drop in the ocean" an octave higher at the end like he did in the studio. Without trying to figure out what notes he is actually hitting, I wouldn't think it's much higher than Concrete goes.

I remember reading interviews before the album came out and Frankie mentioned it in a few, seemed like he wanted to play it live.

I don't fault Justin for wanting to preserve his voice, but they could at least do it once, even if it's a disaster!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next