All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27

Re: Interviews/News Articles etc
    PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 15:15 
Darkling

Quote:
The Darkness rises again – but not to the top of the charts says Justin Hawkins

At the peak of their fame, The Darkness’ debut album went quadruple platinum and earned them three Brit Awards.

But frontman Justin Hawkins has joked that the video for the band’s new single cost just £500 — and accepts that they are unlikely to reach the same heights again.

The Darkness have enjoyed a roller-coaster career that has seen all the rock’n’roll clichés — splitting up, reforming, stints in rehab and even the singer moving to Switzerland — although Hawkins is quick to point out this is because he has a Swiss wife and is nothing to do with tax.

The line-up now includes original members Dan Hawkins (Justin’s brother) and bassist Frankie Poullain, as well as a newcomer with the blood of rock royalty. Queen drummer Roger Taylor’s son Rufus is behind the kit and provides backing vocals. They today announced a new album, Pinewood Smile, which Justin explained “is the English version of the Hollywood smile — just a bit s******”. He has always approached music with humour and pragmatism.

“We’re not a charts band,” he said. “We’d love to be up there winning Brits again but that’s just not the way the industry is. It’s very difficult these days for bands to sell enough albums to change your lifestyle. We were lucky enough to be one of the last rock bands before streaming.”

Their new single All The Pretty Girls is a pastiche on groupies. Hawkins, 42, said: “When we became famous suddenly we were more popular with girls. My brother was always popular with the girls, but I found my popularity increase because of the job. You don’t know who to trust — you can’t even trust yourself. I’m at home at my mum’s at the moment — I suppose you can always trust your mum.”

Hawkins, now teetotal and vegan, once revealed he spent £150,000 on cocaine in three years: “It’s been 11 years since my last glass of prosecco. I’m careful about what I eat. I do a lot of running on stage. I’ve now got the energy with a bit more control. It helps if you can see — you can plan your landings more carefully.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celeb ... 93291.html

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 06:59 
Darkling

Why Don't the Beautiful Cry might be the next single.

https://youtu.be/zof6VF5HtPQ

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 16:48 
Darkling

^ a great choice, if true!!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 18:47 
Darkling

I predicted either that or JPOL. If so, it would be the first single off this album with a chance at success.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 18:49 
Darkling

Please be true!

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 21:48 
Darkling

Interview with Dan.

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-news/ ... 0%99/31680

2006-03-05 – Stockholm
2011-07-08 – Gävle
2012-06-08 – Norje
2012-08-31 – Stockholm
2013-02-17 – Stockholm
2013-02-22 – Gothenburg
2015-06-06 – Norje
2016-12-10 – Stockholm
2017-06-29 – Stockholm

My recordings.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:34 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
I predicted either that or JPOL. If so, it would be the first single off this album with a chance at success.

I'd go even further and say that it is probably the first single since the end of their hiatus that has a chance of being successful. The problem is (imo) that unless it goes viral for a reason, the song won't go anywhere anyway, because the guys probably won't do any TV promo for it. :(

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 23:21 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:

I'd go even further and say that it is probably the first single since the end of their hiatus that has a chance of being successful. The problem is (imo) that unless it goes viral for a reason, the song won't go anywhere anyway, because the guys probably won't do any TV promo for it. :(

Well, With a Woman and Open Fire did reasonably well, but both lacked promotion. It's just one metric, but the music videos for those two have around 1 million views each, which are only barely edged out by One Way Ticket while LIOAF has around 3 million and IBIATCL has 8 million.

EDIT: They took down the With a Woman video on youtube apparently. WTF?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 10:17 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
Well, With a Woman and Open Fire did reasonably well, but both lacked promotion. It's just one metric, but the music videos for those two have around 1 million views each, which are only barely edged out by One Way Ticket while LIOAF has around 3 million and IBIATCL has 8 million.

You can't really compare the youtube views of IBIATCL and Open Fire. IBIATCL was released in 2003 that means in age when youtube wasn't even a thing and streaming didn't exist. Considering how big IBIATCL was, its youtube views are ridiculously low. But, and this is important to consider, this all is caused by IBIATLC being released prior to the youtube and streaming era. You can notice this in the cases of a lot of hit singles release in early 2000's or before that, especially if the artists aren't big anymore / their target audience isn't really the one that uses youtube to listen to music. My estimation is that if it was released today and reached the same level of success, it's youtube views would be at at least 300M views (probably much more).

Open Fire, on the other hand, was released in 2015, which means during the streaming era. 1,5M views is good for TD standards, I suppose, but I dare to say that it should have a few millions more to legitimately call it successful (once again, for TD standards) in this day and age and that's while completely ignoring the non-existing airplay and zero sales. :( #justanopinion

When I said that Why Don't The Beautiful Cry has a chance at being actually successful, I meant that it could appeal to people outside of the darklings and maybe even receive some airplay (a wild speculation).

Sorry for the essay...

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 18:48 
Darkling

Nerevanin wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:

You can't really compare the youtube views of IBIATCL and Open Fire. IBIATCL was released in 2003 that means in age when youtube wasn't even a thing and streaming didn't exist. Considering how big IBIATCL was, its youtube views are ridiculously low. But, and this is important to consider, this all is caused by IBIATLC being released prior to the youtube and streaming era. You can notice this in the cases of a lot of hit singles release in early 2000's or before that, especially if the artists aren't big anymore / their target audience isn't really the one that uses youtube to listen to music. My estimation is that if it was released today and reached the same level of success, it's youtube views would be at at least 300M views (probably much more).

Open Fire, on the other hand, was released in 2015, which means during the streaming era. 1,5M views is good for TD standards, I suppose, but I dare to say that it should have a few millions more to legitimately call it successful (once again, for TD standards) in this day and age and that's while completely ignoring the non-existing airplay and zero sales. :( #justanopinion

When I said that Why Don't The Beautiful Cry has a chance at being actually successful, I meant that it could appeal to people outside of the darklings and maybe even receive some airplay (a wild speculation).

Sorry for the essay...

Fair point, I hadn't considered that. But still, it does represent a good showing for those new videos to be even close to IBIATCL regardless of when it was posted (and that video was actually only posted 3 years ago. There's one from 7 years ago with 4M views). I mean, classic songs still have huge numbers on Youtube.

And I agree, they really need airplay desperately, and just cant seem to get it. But frankly, I can't imagine any kind of hit short of IBIATCL or bigger getting any airplay simply because rock stations (in the US anyway) play the same old shit to death with NO variation. I can't think of the last time I heard a song on the radio that was unfamiliar.

For example, this new band Highly Suspect has this great rock tune called Lydia and the video has 11 million views. And yet I have not heard a peep on the radio about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-bR9ii7Gs

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 20:10 
Darkling

Frankie podcast

https://soundcloud.com/bass-lessons-podcast

SUCK MY COCK

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 02:08 
Darkling

PermissionToLand wrote:
Nerevanin wrote:
PermissionToLand wrote:

Sorry for the essay...

Fair point, I hadn't considered that. But still, it does represent a good showing for those new videos to be even close to IBIATCL regardless of when it was posted (and that video was actually only posted 3 years ago. There's one from 7 years ago with 4M views). I mean, classic songs still have huge numbers on Youtube.

And I agree, they really need airplay desperately, and just cant seem to get it. But frankly, I can't imagine any kind of hit short of IBIATCL or bigger getting any airplay simply because rock stations (in the US anyway) play the same old shit to death with NO variation. I can't think of the last time I heard a song on the radio that was unfamiliar.

For example, this new band Highly Suspect has this great rock tune called Lydia and the video has 11 million views. And yet I have not heard a peep on the radio about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-bR9ii7Gs

I hail from "The Land Down Under", and I religiously listen to Rebel FM exclusively here because they play the best music and they have never played a song to death.

6pm weeknights we get Nights With Alice Cooper (the latest eps, no repeats!) and he plays some stuff on that show that I've never heard of. I've actually discovered bands new and old, local and international that I'd have never heard otherwise like Ceremony, Place of the King, The Stranger, PC & The Biffs, I discovered that I actually do like The Beatles and have been able to grow my musical vocabulary.

And that's pretty "mainstream" where I live so I'm very fortunate.

They do even play TD sometimes.

I think we have to resort to the fact that they're just not going to get the fame and fortune again.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 16:36 
Darkling

Justin and Dan Interview: http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/the- ... 830-gy6zb4

Quite personal, not your usual interview. Very insightful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27